“Cozy Mountain retreat near Oakhurst, CA”

Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This quiet and picturesque setting was perfect for a stop over for my wife and I on our motorcycle trip to the The Sierra Nevada Mountains near Yosemite over the Memorial Day Weekend this year.
We stayed in The Oak Sweet, a very large single room with a Queen Bed, full size refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The setting is hillside with great views of the Sierras. Brenda and John, the proprietors, were very attentive and made us feel at home. John made an ample breakfast in the main lodge for us in the morning. I wished that we might have stayed longer. Linda and I both hope to return at another time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed Sierra Mountain Lodge. I normally camp inside the valley but it was hard to convince my wife to test our odds on a campsite during a busy mothers day weekend. Long story short, I was able to find SML on trip advisor and was pleasantly surprised on the value we got. We stayed in the Sunrise Suit which feels like an apartment with the size if it. A king size bed that was so comfortable and it made me thank myself after a long day hiking through the valley. I thought the whole experience was great and the location I was ok with. I can see how some would think it is far from the center of the valley but if you take 140 on the southwest entrance it is a quick hour while following the beautiful Merced. We got up early and hit the park early so there was little traffic and back in time to enjoy a beverage on the patio deck and relax with the Sierra sunset. Close to Oakhurst and Mariposa so there are plenty of dinner options. We met Brenda and Nick on the final day for the breakfast and you can tell they care about their guests. I work in hospitality and theirs was genuine and sincere. Waffles and sausage to start the day is always ok with me! I would recommend this B&B for those that want a nice alternative to the valley with some privacy and relaxation. I am sure we will be back for the Sunrise suite and some R&R.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Hi readers to log. Yes we have now stayed 3 times at lodge.2009,2010 and 2013. We live just around the corner in Essex,England (UK). This is a beautiful place, quite tranquil yet close enough to Yosemite,High Sierras and Bass Lake. The breakfast is delicious and plenty of it.
You walk out on to the terrace with your coffee to the panoramic view over valley to the high mountains beyond. The rooms are comfortable and spacious.The surrounding gardens are full of flowers,shrubs,trees, water features and lead down to a running stream. Bird life in plenty. We find the best time at Easter temps 65 to 70 F.

Room Tip: All rooms with good views and outside sitting areas and barb areas. the twin bedrooms are at the qui...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Yosemitebee, Owner at Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

A lodge is primarily made up of the quality of it's guests. Joe, Christine, and Janet have brought to the lodge a feeling of general contentment with life. Christine & Janet with their cheerful nature and intelligent conversations, & Joe with his unsinkable positive attitude & sense of humor. Guests such as these make our profession the absolute best it can be with their consideration and overall good nature. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting them again in the near future, or perhaps taking them up on their offer of visiting them in the U.K.

Happy travels, John & Brenda

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here while on our honeymoon in August 2012. We were in the area to go to Yosemite National Park, but this secluded bed and breakfast was definitely the best part! The rooms are not expensive and the complimentary breakfast was really good. The hosts were two of the nicest people we met on our whole vacation and had tonnes of advice on what to see and do, not only in Yosemite, but in the area as well.

The lodge is a little bit out of the way in as far as location, but that turned out to be the best part. It made for one of the most relaxing parts of our two week holiday!

The atmosphere is extremely laid back and the layout of the inn and grounds allows for privacy, but is also very good for meeting fellow travellers. The large communal patio is a great place to spend an evening after a long day in the park!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marcnem
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for our New Year's Eve weekend stay. Check-in was easy with the little lock-box for a key outside our room and the room was super clean and warm when we entered (it was FREEZING outside).

If you are going in winter, this is an inexpensive place and a far nicer alternative to the motels we saw in Oakhurst.... and way less pricey than the hotel in Yosemite. It's very spacious and you have the option to drive using either of the two entrances into Yosemite. Close to grocery stores, gas stations, sporting good stores and restaurants. The owners leave a really nice binder with information on drive times/dierctions into the park, restaurant menus for you to look through, DVDs in the lobby to borrow (with CURRENT movies, might I add! Hunger Games was on the shelf), books/guides on Yosemite, maps, etc. Bed was super comfortable, too. The mini fridge was nice. We stayed in the Sunrise Suite and I think it could very easily accomodate a family, though it was just the two of us. I liked the decor for the type of lodge it was. Flat screen TV, cable, and DVD player was nice and useful. They offered clean utensils, plates and cups for our use in addition to a microwave in which we cooked mashed potatoes and re-heat food, and a coffee maker that I used daily. They provided free coffee in the room as well as in the lobby. The lobby also has hot cocoa and an assortment of tea!

The Sunrise Suite was SUPER spacious and had curtains for privacy. The heat worked well and the upstairs did get kind of hot at night, which made it difficult to sleep. The bed was super comfy and huge (king size I think!). They have a BBQ grill which is nice, we didn't use it though but it's great that they have that as there wasn't a stovetop in our suite.

The only "cons" (not really even cons - just pack this when you go!) is that there wasn't a hair dryer in the bathroom and since it was so cold out, I did not wash my hair in the morning. I always pack my own shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste when I travel, so I advise others to do so as well because this suite did not provide those toiletries. Although, they did provide cotton swabs, plenty of clean towels, soap, and body wash. Water takes just a minute to get warm but doesn't "run out" like at other mountain areas I've stayed in. Driving up the hill to the lodge is a bit scary because there aren't any street lights, so be careful. Our GPS does find this location just fine so you should too. Also, take water bottles with you when you travel. Between my husband and I, we almost finished a case of 35 water bottles on our 4-day adventure.

Also, the lodge is REALLY close (maybe 20 minutes?) to the Southern entrance of Yosemite, but then you have to drive way into the park to get to Tunnel View and finally the valley. I think to go see Mariposa Grove and the Giant Sequoias, I would recommend this entrance, otherwise take the other route which is still doable from the lodge. Due to the snow, it took us over 2 hours to enter the Valley taking the 41 (Southern Entrance). EEK.

The first day though we took the "longer" route (140 highway) and found it to be windy but not TOO windy, and just a nice drive into the park. This still took us an hour and a half though. Their handy dandy white binder explains all of this well.

I would recommend this place to anyone who does not want to camp in the park. We plan to return to Yosemite in the summer to camp.. but if camping doesn't work out, I would return here in a heartbeat. Thank you for a nice stay.

Room Tip: Sunrise Suite has a view of the forest & mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I love timeshare rooms because they are more like a small apartment than a room. This is not a timeshare but check the square footage of these rooms and you will see how big they are. Plus you have the outside grounds, which is very large. And the view... WOW. Yosemite is beautiful but I need time to recover from all the biking and walking. With longer winter nights a little space is a must once your indoors and you get it here. We had the most comfortable bed in the Garden suite that we are talking about getting one just like it. We found the location worked very well for us as went went different directions each day. It is very close to Oakhurst which is the big city for the area. Oh and the room is not dated, its a theme. The couch has roses on it because its the Garden room.

Room Tip: I chose the Garden room because its on the end and my husband snores. But when we stay again I woul...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 1 night at the "Rose Suite" as a stopover for our road trip.

Room quality : Good mattress, decent ensuite bathroom, the suite was big enough for 4 persons. Very comfy overall.
Lobby; AWESOME!! Comes with a DVD library, books, hot beverages and guidebooks.
Front desk : The owner ( Kathy?)was very friendly and warm
Price : we paid about US$130 per night for a suite with 2 rooms, 1 bathroom, kitchenette, living room and a nice balcony that overlooks a pink rose plant. How cute!
Food : The lodge does not provide food during winter months, but it's just a quick drive of about 10 minutes to get some good Italian food, Carls jr and you can also find a HUGE supermarket for your groceries etc.
Overall : Lovely place, recommended !!

Room Tip: Really peaceful and quiet. And from the lodge, you can actually trek downwards for a nice stroll.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fatcat2222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahwahnee
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite's Apple Blossom Inn
Inn the Woods Suites
Inn the Woods Suites
#3 of 4 in Ahwahnee

Been to Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite? Share your experiences!