“Awesome location, OK food, Poor service”

The Beach House at Blackbeard's
Cuisines: Caribbean, Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A secluded cove on the islands of Bermuda is reportedly where one Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard, spent some time hiding out from the Governor Eden of North Carolina around 1718. His ship the Queen Anne’s Revenge may have even anchored off Achilles’ Bay; the crew may have basked on the beach and fished and swam in crystal clear turquoise water. They may also have created a small hut on the shore to shelter from the sun but what stands there today has transformed into the Beach House at Blackbeard's. It serves some of the best food on the island with wine to match in a shabby chic restaurant with a good bar and a special view of the sunset.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Beach House is in a beautiful location, wonderful sunsets if dining on balcony. And if you are staying at St. Georges club there is a free shuttle to take you there (because St. Georges Club runs the restaurant). It is in a safe area of the island, but there are sometimes hoodlums and drug dealers that loiter at Ft St. Catherine right next to the restaurant.

The food is just OK, on par for most of Bermuda. Not a good value but also on par with others in Bermuda. The value comes in the scenery. Service is typical Bermudian style...odd and not all that great. We were offered a balcony table by the hostess, she didn't actually walk us there, just pointed. As we sat, another waitress rudely said we couldn't sit there and it was for "somebody else". The place was empty. We looked back at the hostess and she just shrugged her shoulders. So as we were finding another table on our own, a third waitress said it was ok to sit on the balcony. WOW. I kept my mouth shut because surely I would have been labeled an ugly American. Our actual waitress was nice, but kept trying to push their "house wine" which was in an unlabeled bottle and looked like Boones Farm or some type of backyard prison hooch, uhhh...no thanks. The food arrived in acceptable time and was decent. This place would have vanished long ago if not for the beautiful view. Hard to say if I will ever go back.

1  Thank WrldTravler72
JohnKyle, Manager at The Beach House at Blackbeard's, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

We are sorry your experience was less than satisfactory when you visited and also that management were unaware of your issues. We will endeavor to find out what happened and correct it for the future. Our house wine served "consumo" should have been explained properly to you and you would have had no issues with its quality. It is a very popular option. We however are surprised by your comments about the people that visit Fort St. Catherine. It is a public beach and park that attracts thousands of locals and visitors and we have never had any issue with undesirables.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Sunday lunch with my husband and mum, who was visiting from the UK. The view was spectacular. The food was tasty - scallops and bacon, onion tart and tuna carpaccio, and served promptly. The service was as expected. I would recommend this place.

1  Thank Val12345
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I visited many of the top restaurants all over Bermuda during my two trips in the last couple of years. The Beach House, was by far my favorite. The food was fantastic, I had the pork dish that was cooked to perfection. My boyfriend had the chicken dish, and has been trying to recreate it ever since! The atmosphere was amazing. The restaurant sits directly over looking the crystal blue water simmering against the sunsetting. To our right was the sunset, and to the left was a historic monument, towering over a palm tree covered, white sand beach. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking to treat them selfs to something special.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Everyone should visit here at least once for the view. Food was very good too. My mom, sister, and I all ordered lobster $45, my husband had salad with grilled chicken. Calamari appetizer - the breading was perfect and it was cooked perfect.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife an I spent 6 days in St Georges. We met the executive Chef Piero on the beach at Achilles bay . we had our night planed and changed them mid day. So Glad we did . A fabulous evening watching the sunset and the food was outstanding. I had the Wahoo never had it in my life along with mashed potatoes and a vegetable . Try the " Tart " as an appetizer . fantastic. I must add the the wine was great also ( i am not a wine drinker )My wife had the Filet Mignon and loved it . Also had a salad with walnuts in it and it was wonderful .Get to the beach house you won't be dissapointed