“Beautiful place, but a little far from everything.”
Review of 9 Beaches Resort

9 Beaches Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
New York
“Beautiful place, but a little far from everything.”
Reviewed August 12, 2009

9 Beaches was located in a beautiful part of the island. It was definitely removed from the other areas of the island. If you are looking for a place with minimal amenities (non-working , ineffective Air Conditioning, small room), then this may be a place for you. It would be a nice place in the spring or autumn. There were very few activities available. The best part of the resort is the fact the ocean is right outside your terrace. That was simply gorgeous. The restaurant had good food, but was limited in variety. We took cabs to the go to different restaurants or go site seeing. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it depends what you are looking for. 9 beaches is great to just relax, but if you want to do any sort of activity, you will have to leave the resort.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I was a little skeptical of going to 9 Beaches after the mixed reviews I had read, but with the thought that I didn't want to stay at "just another beach resort", I thought this might be a nice change of pace. It was. First of all, this place is remote, which is exactly what I was looking for. If you need to be entertained by a DJ at the pool, and lots of activities, skip 9 Beahes. If you like to spend time reading, napping in the shade, and swimming/snorkeling in beautiful water, then by all means, try this place. This is a completely different experience from the typical beach resort. It's not crowded, and at times we felt like we had the place to ourselves. Perfect. I really only have 2 complaints about the trip. 1) the Weather, which has nothing to do with 9 beaches other than the fact that it does get extremely hot in the tents. So hot that you don't want to be in them after about 8am. This is why I would go back again, but not in August. 2) The beach furniture was terrible. It was old, uncomfortable, and falling apart. Days Inn would have thrown this stuff out 10 years ago. That being said, the food at the main restaurant was very good and fresh. I think that people need to keep in mind that this is an island, not NYC, and you will be fine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachGirl78
new york, ny
Reviewed August 5, 2009

My sister and I visited July 8-12. We booked a coco coral cabana but having read the reviews about the smells along the eastern side of the resort, I emailed ahead of our trip and asked for a cabana on the west side (on the head). They replied that all cabanas were assigned on a first come, first served basis. However, when we arrived, we were assigned a cabana on the head so we were very happy. The cabana itself was fine, the bathroom smelled a little sweaty but it aired out over the first day or two. Everything that was metal was rusty and the cabana was a little worn but overall, I was pretty happy. We did use the small window AC the first night but after that, we would keep the windows open and it kept the tempurature nice and breezy. The last night we had a bit of an ant problem but I didn't see any other bugs, although the room did come with a can of bug spray.

Some of the beaches were un-usable due to seaweed buildup (along the south mainly), however others were just wonderful. As mentioned by others, smugglers cove was a beautiful beach- perfect for playing and snorkeling with a good mix of sun and shade. We didn't go to this beach until the last day and if I returned, I would probably spend most of my time there.

The food was ok, the breakfast was plentiful and we found we were able to just have breakfast and one additional meal per day, which helped keep our costs down. We had grand plans to check out other beaches in Bermuda but with the funny weather, the short trip, and the nice beaches at the resort, we were happy to stay put.

The service and staff were varied. One front desk girl (blond) was not very nice, but most everyone else was nice, if not overworked. The same people would serve you at breakfast at 9am and then dinner at 10pm. Given that, I can forgive the sometimes slow or non-existent service. One night, we sat at a table waiting for menus for nearly 10 minutes before I went up and asked for them.

The wifi seemed to only work if you were in the lobby or the computer room. I could find the signal at the cabana, but wasn't able to connect to anything.

Having said this, I would absolutely return to bermuda, and even 9 beaches again. We ended up paying about $200 a night with the 400th anniversary discount and I thought it was a fair price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Mid Atlantic
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My wife and I traveled to 9 beaches for our honeymoon, and we had mixed feelings. Overall we had a great trip, and definitely will be back to Bermuda, but might not be back to 9 beaches.

First I will talk about the great things about this hotel. The hotel, resort etc. is very laid back. I felt very comfortable going to dinner in a T-shirt which was great. The hotel is also on a very beautiful location. We checked out just about every beach and liked each one of them. There is some sea weed right outside some beaches, but it does not hurt to walk on. Many of the beaches are surrounded by some sort of reef formation, which was great to snorkel around and provided great scenery. We spent a good 2-3 hours a day in the water because we loved it so much. It was great to find a private little beach. Overall the staff was very helpful. Service at times was a little slow, but I do feel that was due to understaffing rather than rudeness. The food was very good as well. Breakfast was similar each day, but it was great each time ( how many varieties for breakfast is there anyway?). There also was a nearby supermarket ( that others mentioned) that allowed us to get some snacks. The west end mini bus provided fairly good transportation to the dockyard at a price more expensive then the bus, but cheaper than a cab. The dockyard is a great jumping point ( if you have the time) to get to other parts of the island. Generally speaking, most of the locals were extremely friendly, more so than I ever expected.

There are sadly, numerous negative things to this resort as well. The biggest thing is that the rooms are not that comfortable, mainly due to the air conditioning. The heat in the room was just too much, opening the windows does not work so well unless your cabana faces the south ( prevailing winds are S-SW). I am an avid surfer, so I am used to being comfortable at any beach, but the heat was unbearable at any point except late evening until early morning. As another reviewer said, the only place to find relief from the heat is either in the water or in the computer room. I guess if your from the S.E. United States you might be used to the humidity. I thought I could handle it being from the mid-atlantic, but I thought wrong.

Secondly the resort is extremely out of the way of a lot of things. Many of the activities that were offered ( jet-skis, tours, etc) required you to get transportation to the dockyard, rather than have them at the resort. I did mention that the dockyard was a great jumping point, and that was true, but it was not exactly a great motivation knowing it was going to take me at least an hour in travel to get to Hamilton. You also need to purchase bus/ferry passes before hand, which I could not figure out where to do.

Thirdly, the music played at the resort at all times ( breakfast, dinner, lunch, whenever!) was not exactly relaxing. If you like island raggae/rap ( Sean Paul etc) then you will be happy, but after a while it got very old. It might be great party music, but it is not a great for a romantic dinner.

Lastly, at some cabanas towards the entrance, there was a farm smell much like the smell at the zoo. It was bearable, but definitely not the best smell in the world.

In summary we would only return to 9 beaches at a different time of the year and if we felt like doing nothing at all. It is definitely a resort for someone who is not looking to be pampered ( because you will not be, either in your room or by house keeping). I also would not recommend it for someone who wants to sight see/ do tons of activities. The resort does feel like a camp ground, which is fine, but with that in mind I would not say it is handicap accessible either.

9 Beaches is a beautiful resort, but it does require a certain frame of mind/person. I generally consider myself laid back, so I thought I would enjoy it entirely, but there are some things that need to change before we come back.

3 Thank David J
CT
Reviewed August 3, 2009

9Beaches is a beautiful spot. The cabanas are the size of staterooms on a cruise ship with a balcony. The rooms are nice, but nothing fancy. They have a small frig, an in-room safe, a ceiling fan and a stand up fan. During July and August the rooms get very warm during the day. The in-room A/C doesn’t do much good until the sun goes down. This can be problem if you like to go back to your room in the afternoon to relax, nap or get ready for dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful; no one we talked to had any issues with the staff. The full breakfast was nice, but it was the same everyday. The dinners were good and reasonably priced compared to other restaurants on the Island. The resort is close to Dockyard and the shuttle ($5) is reliable and you can get ferries from there to Hamilton and St George’s. There is not much night life at the resort. The shuttle will also take you to Horseshoe Bay ($7), the best beach on the Island. The beaches at 9Beaches are nice, sometimes there was seaweed and sometimes not, but there are no waves. There is good snorkeling at the resort so bring your own gear to save some money. It was nice to be able to walk from your cabana to the water for a swim. I don’t think any cabana was more than 50 yards from a beach. If you looking for a relaxing, casual, beach vacation this is the spot.

1 Thank merrill23
PA
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Upon arrival to 9 Beaches we were greeted by Sara at the front desk with a smile. She poured a refreshing drink and gave us all of our information. The bell hop took our bags and loaded us in the van and drove us to our cabana. The resort is very clean, but somewhat out dated. Some of the cabana's had slashes in the sides or rust stains running down the sides. We had specifically requested a cabana opposite end of manure farm and our request was granted. Even though the smell from manure farm was not overwhelming. It smelled like a cow pasture and anyone that lives in a rural area has smelled it before. It was nothing that would ruin a vacation.

Our cabana was very clean and refreshing. It had a wonderful cross breeze from the ocean that kept the room comfortable during the day but at night the breeze seemed to die down. The cabana did have a air conditioner floor unit but it was not able to properly cool the room at night. We did have a hard time sleeping due to the heat and humidity. We visited in mid-July but next time would probaley choose to go mid-June. I would not recommend anything past mid-July for fear of cooking in the cabana at night.

Our cabana had an excellent view of the ocean and surrounding coves. Our area of the resort was at the point and the cabanas were staggered so that it felt like there was no one else around. Our cabana numer was #66. This was not an area of the resort to stay if you did not like an uphill walk back to your cabana at the end of a long day.

The food was excellent. The breakfast buffet was good with a variety of breakfast foods. As much variety that could be done was done and everyday there were a few different additions to the menu. We also ate sandwiches at the Dark & Stormy and the little bar inside the main building (I forget what it was called). The prices weren't horrible in remembering that you are on an island and in a tourist area. My husband and I shared several meals, we were not overly hungary due to the heat. We stuffed ourselves at breakfast and then would have a snack during the day then a sandwich for dinner.

We did walk to the market. Beware, it is a long walk in the heat and humidity carrying a bag of groceries and a case of beer. We should have paid the $4 for the mini bus to take us. We were exhausted when we got back to our cabana.

Most of the beaches were cleaned daily. The main beach by the main building was really nice. You were next to the dock and the bar area. You also have a wonderful view of the boats and jet skies going past. There was a notice posted in the main lobby stating that the seaweed was really thick in the last few days and that they cleaned most of it off the beaches but did leave some to help with beach erosion. The coves were really nice for couples looking to spend some quality time together. The water was really warm and the waves were gentle.

We really enjoyed taking a taxi to Horseshoe Bay and visiting Horseshoe beach. That was the best part of the island.

We would go back, but earlier in the season.

1 Thank jclites
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We did not want a very formal atmosphere where we would have to dress for dinner and be at all times presentable - we wanted to be in the water and to relax, read and chat by the beach. We were decicing between the Fairmont and 9 Beaches, really two extremes -- and the price was rougly the same. Luxury or causal. The quaint pictures of the cabanas and the idea of being over the water charmed us and we opted for the casual 9 Beaches. Unfortunately it was a mistake for us. It was scorching hot and humid. When we arrived the temperature in cabana (our tent) was 91 degrees and when we turned on the small AC unit, strangely it went to 92 degrees. The small AC units are really inadequate to cool off the cabana, which is essentially a canvas tent. The furniture is utilitarian at best and rusty in some cases. We did see the cockroach like bug that others mentioned which is unnerving, again, given that we paid nearly $500 a night. The resort does not have any A/C anywhere. We could not find respite or any place to get comfortable. Our cabana was one of the most expensive, out over the water with the window in the floor to look down into the water but you can't actually get in the ocean from the cabana without walking down the dusty, hot road all the way around the resort. Once at the beach there is no shade, no umbrellas, and the beach furniture is flimsy and uncomfortable. We went to the main lodge to see if the restaurant was cooler - nope, no A/C there either. The lunch place is outside. The heat and not being able to find any place to relax in comfort completely drained us, we wilted and had barely energy to move. We really wanted to like the place -- we looked for anything to cheer us up.

The staff was no help -- actually a strange bunch. Our initial greeting on arriving can only be compared to being inducted into the army. She barked orders and completely shattered the festive mood we were trying hard to preserve. I am sure she may be a very efficient taskmaster but some training on friendlier customer service would be advisable. There are some friendly people scattered about the resort and they do stand out for that reason. For the most part service is slow and impassive. The food is fine. However, we bought the all-inclusive which was also a mistake. Would not recommend that - you don't get your moneys worth.

For the resort, there are some things that would have helped. First, put air conditioning in the main lodge area so that people can come in from the heat when needed. Also, people would be able to dine in comfort. Second, put stairs down to the beach from the cabanas so you can get directly to the water to cool off and swim around. Third, put umbrellas and better beach furniture on the beaches. Lastly, give the staff some training on customer service and being friendlier to guests. If you can do those things then you might have something.

It's a question of expectations. If you know what you are getting into then I am sure you can have a great time camping in the blistering heat. It did make us appreciate coming home and the marvels of air conditioning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,048 reviews

Been to 9 Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!