“We LOVE this place!”

National Museum of Bermuda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore 500 years of Bermuda history and culture in Bermuda's largest fort. Jaw-dropping views, massive cannon, shipwreck artefacts, local watercraft, a stunning mural, a children's playhouse and playground make if fun for all ages.
Bermuda
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“We LOVE this place!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I can't believe we have lived in Bermuda for soooo long before coming here. I went in January as it is free for residents - I loved it so much I went with my husband right after my first visit and we will take all our visitors there now too. Commissioners house is stunning as are the views.A great day out and easy to have lunch or a snack in any of the nearby restaurants or cafes.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Supermom23

Hereford, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Very informative”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I lived in Bermuda for 2+ years and this is one of the great places to relax on days off provided there are no cruise ships in. The Dockyard area of the Island is the 'touristy' part of the Island with two large berths for cruise ships to dock. Given that these ships can carry between 2 and 4,000 passengers each if you can it is preferable to try and time your visit to a day when there are no scheduled cruises .

The amount of history is amazing and the buildings provide truly stunning views out over the clear blue waters. The grounds are fairly large and there are cannons, anchors and gun emplacements dotted around as well as underground magazines to explore.

In the age of interactive exhibits the static displays at the dockyard could be considered boring by some but the sheer volume of artifacts are impressive. The large halls near the entrance provide a fascinating insight into the shipwrecks that cover the reefs and the collection of old outboard motors gives a very 1950's and 1960's feel to boating.

Only negative is the horrendous Dolphinquest pond on site which was supposed to be temporary decades ago as I understand. No surprise given Bermuda's horrible animal welfare record (just check out the dairy farm by the Unesco World Heritage site in St Georges).

Do support the historic Maritime Museum but Don't support Dolphinquest (even to buy a pencil).

Probably not for young children but very relaxing for interested adults.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank GlynGlobal
Moncton
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Educational, but boring”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We spent half a day exploring this museum, but I can't say we really enjoyed our time. It's located on extensive grounds, with various areas to check out. It was extremely hot, so bring lots of water and sunscreen with you. We found the museum informative, but it was not at all interactive, so after an hour of reading placard after placard, we were over it. Not so good for children for this reason. We took the most joy in exploring the actual property, as there are some hidden gems like the sheep and underground area. Unfortunately there is a dolphin quest onsite, which of course is a horrific abuse of cetaceans for the sake of a very expensive hour long swim in a tiny cement pool. I don't recommend it.

Visited February 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Must see!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Spent a few hours here exploring the various exhibits. Was most impressed with Commissioner's house and the views it afforded. The up keep is impeccable and the staff (think his name was Percy) was very helpful. If you are like me and love to learn of the history and culture of a country when you visit then this place is a must see.

Visited November 2013
Atlanta, GA
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Very interesting visit”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We spent several hours and thoroughly enjoyed learning about Bermuda's history. We especially were fascinated to learn about Afrikaans POW's from the Boer Wars being kept in Bermuda. My wife grew up in South Africa and never heard this in school. For 10 bucks it also a great value. If you don't go for anything else go to see the multistory mural of Bermuda's history.

Visited December 2013