“Paradise in our Pool Suite”
Review of Cambridge Beaches

Cambridge Beaches
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
New Jersey
“Paradise in our Pool Suite”
Reviewed April 21, 2009

"Sunset" is one of three amazing cottage pool suites at Cambridge Beaches, Bermuda. Ours, the westernmost one, located at 32°18'32.53"N 64°52'6.26"W (check Google Earth), also offers a spectacular view of the sunset, from within our private, heated pool. Below and behind the pool suites we found a secluded beach, only accessible via a wooden staircase, concealed between the cottages. The water so clear, it looks drinkable.

Surrounded on three sides by picket fences and shrubbery, along with careful placement of nearby cottages, the backyard of our cottage was completely hidden from view, other than from the Atlantic Ocean. My wife and I very much enjoyed our four naked days in paradise.

The suite itself was, by far, the most comfortable and well equipped we’ve experienced: Heavenly bed and couch; Decadent bathroom with oversized Jacuzzi tub and walk-in shower with rain-head and side jets; Stereo system with CD/DVD player, along with speakers placed throughout the suite, each room controlled by their own volume control; Excellent climate-control systems; Nice flat-screen TV in the living room, although, as seems to be on most islands, the channel selection left much to be desired; A large walk-in closet; An in-room safe, large enough to accommodate four laptops and then some.

The cuisine at Tamarisk, their fine-dining restaurant, was delectable. The service was top notch – we were always greeted by name with a smile and utmost politeness. Better yet was the location of the restaurant in the main house, a mere 200 feet from our front door, although we also enjoyed walking the exceptionally well manicured grounds, from ocean to shining bay, and marveling at the beautiful property and scenery.

We had a minor issue with an inoperable electrical outlet outside, near our pool (don’t ask why we needed it). Within 30 minutes of my calling, it was repaired and, to my astonishment, the gentleman refused to accept the tip I attempted to hand him, three times. Impressive!

Beautiful place, amazing room, great food, wonderful spa and exceptional service sums it up. Even the General Manager, Richard Quinn, (search “Cambridge Beaches” on YouTube or use this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7XxCTwcCXg ), whom I couldn’t help but call Sir Richard, was delightful the numerous times we ran into each other. Thank you, Sir Richard.

You can see the 3-minute HD video I took of our suite here:

Nuff said. Go!

3 Thank SimmyT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My wife and I chose Cambridge Beaches after reading many of the great reviews posted on this site, and it certainly lived up to the high expectations. We had a great time, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Atmosphere/Room/Staff: The hotel is located on the western end of the island, which is quieter and much less crowded than some of the hotels on the south shore or in Hamilton. We thought this was very nice for the relaxing type of vacation we were looking for. The hotel grounds are very well kept, and our room was in great shape. Even for one of the less expensive rooms, we had a nice private balcony bordered by palm trees overlooking the marina with the ocean and Dockside forts in the background. Some reviews mention that there is a bit of an uppity atmosphere among the older guests who return to CB time and time again. However, as 24-year-olds, we were always treated great and never felt out of place. In fact, it is easy to see why people return again and again. Since our trip in July 08, we have received holiday cards and letters from Cambridge Beaches as if we were part of a private club. All of the staff was very friendly, and several remembered our name the entire trip after introducing themselves the first time we met. My wife left her purse at dinner one night, and being that all of the reservations were in my name (and my wife had not yet changed her name), it was very difficult to figure out which guest the purse belonged to. The staff at guest services went to great lengths, and even made calls back to the US to figure it out. We felt like all of the staff really did have our best interests at heart, and I'd give them the highest possible review.

Food: To start out, my wife and I are not really fine diners; we try to eat on a budget back home, and very rarely splurge on a meal over $100 for the two of us. That said, we were on the MAP dining plan at CB, and thought all of the food was excellent. The breakfast buffet has a ton of options, and we were able to get a great table on the balcony overlooking the harbor each morning. On days where we stayed at the resort during the day, the afternoon tea was a nice touch, and the snacks were usually enough to hold us over until dinner. We used all of the options available to us for dinner. Most nights, we ate at the Tamarisk dining room, which is the fancier option at the resort. There we many options to choose from for the multiple courses (even for my wife, a vegetarian), and the menu changed every night. We though the food was excellent. We ate dinner at Breezes for the weekly bar-b-que one night, which has a more relaxed, casual atmosphere overlooking the beach; we thought the food was great here too. We used the dine-around option one night to eat at the Pompano Beach Club, which also had good food and was a nice change of pace. We just let guest services know we were interested in doing this, and they took care of everything, including arranging a taxi to bring us there and take us back. We also took advantage of the dine-out option, and went to the Frog and Onion Pub at Dockside one night; we just brought back the receipt, and they credited the meal to our final bill. All four dining experiences are fully included on the MAP plan, and having that sort of flexibility while on a meal plan was great.

Resort: The resort itself was also great, with something to do for everyone. They had several beachs, and we never had any problems finding open chairs or tiki-umbrellas to lay under. Our favorite beach was a small one on the western edge of the resort, in a nice quiet cove bordered by large rocks. The pool is great and very relaxing, with a bar staff that is very attentive but not intrusive. It was never over crowded or noisy, and often we were the only people in the pool. It seemed as though the resort had great spa options, though we never used them, as that sort of thing just isn't really our style. They belong to every golf course on the island (including the Mid-Ocean club), and are more than happy to arrange a round for you. Had I been here on a regular vacation (and not a honeymoon), I definitely would have taken advantage of that. Some of our friends contacted the activities coordinator at the resort to arrange sailing and scuba trips as wedding presents; both were great and departed right from the docks next to the resort. They also have a small scooter rental hut at the resort, which was very convenient. We rented a scooter there for a few days and used it to explore some of the other beaches and towns on the island.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. The resort is well kept, the staff is very friendly, and we thought the food was great. The resort is expensive (Bermuda in general is an expensive island), but we felt it was completely worth it for a great experience, and there was nothing that surprised us on the final bill. It is a very laid-back resort away from the busier parts of the island. I may not recommend going to this resort if you are the go out and party all night type (then again, Bermuda might not be the right island for you in the first place) or have highly active kids looking for something exciting and new at all times of the day, but we thought it was great for a nice honeymoon with a perfect balance of activities, relaxation, and variety. I'd highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeffm928
smithtown, ny
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Cambridge Beaches. This is the first time we have stayed at a cottage colony on the Island, and it was such a wonderful experience. Beginning with the ride from the airport with CEO Transportation (recommended by a former reviewer and a pleasant choice) to the reception at CB, and everything else from then on.

The location, although a bit remote, is absolutely stunning. The views from our cottage and every other part of the resort were amazing. Breakfast, as stated by many others, was terrific, tea relaxing and dinner at the very pretty Tamarisk restaurant enjoyable with delicious food. I cannot believe that any other cottage resort can compare to the expansive Cambridge Beaches.
Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank eloisejw
New Jersey
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My wife and I just returned form a stay @ Cambridge Beaches. This was our fourth trip to Bermuda, but our first stay @ Cambridge. From the moment we arrived , we felt as if we were family and not guests. The staff quickly knows your name and addresses you personally throughout your stay. The location is perfect. You are surrounded by water on three sides , and have perfect sunrises and sunsets. The cuisine is excellent. We were on the MAP plan ,and I highly suggest you do the same. Full breakfasts, great tea @ 4 p.m., and multi course dinner with proper size portions ,which really allow you to enjoy all courses . We met many new people ,and everyone seemed very open and friendly .It is not stuffy , but is refined with a very interesting clientle. The spa was also excellent. Our goal was to really relax in a beautiful setting with great
food and great people. I think Cambridge Beaches totally accomplished that goal. We definitely will return again. We have stayed at many nice properties on our past trips[Four Seasons , Ritz Carltons, and other very nice boutique hotels], Cambridge Beaches is right up there with all of them.
J and T

1 Thank jtwNewJersey
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2009

This is my 3rd trip to Cambridge Beaches in the past 4 years, so obviously I have enjoyed the experience. I can say that after our first stay we were hesitant to come back, due to a lot of construction and us just not sure if this resort was the best fit for our family.

Even after these initial hesitations to return, I am very happy that we have continued to come back as the experience has only gotten better and better. The new pool is beautiful, the room renovations are beyond plush, and the staff (under the very attentive and charming eyes of Manager Richard Quinn) remains the best on the island. In addition, the grounds are meticulously maintained and the breakfast is truly something to wake up for. Do do the MAP plan, it is the best deal when it comes to food, although the food can be a little hit or miss at dinner in the Tamarisk Room. The souffles are something to write home about and the Bermuda Fish Chowder (nightly on the menu) is 2nd only to the Hog Penny's.

This trip was special for us as we were celebrating a birthday in our party. The staff, Nadja and Whitney, were real assets in making it a very memorable birthday. Not only did they go out of their way to make all of the arrangements (before our stay and during), but they checked up with us and made sure we were happy with everything throughout. They are true gems and represent a tradition of hospitality that is unique to Bermuda.

We have made over 15 trips to Bermuda and stayed in many of the top ranked hotels (as well as cruise ships) here and around the world, but this resort and Bermuda has captured our imagination and heart. We will be returning!

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank rjb296
Kendal the Lake District UK
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Although the weather was not at best we still enjoyed a fabulous break. From the moment we arrived at Cambridge Beaches we were checked in by polite, friendly and efficient staff. Whitney and Nadia guest relations made a point of coming to see us. The resort is on a peninsular with ocean /bay view’s to the side. It is set on slight incline with-in beautiful gardens. We chose to holiday in Bermudas winter (February) finding the resort not too busy. Not all the restaurants and bars were open. This did not bother us. The accommodation, bars and restaurant service was first class. The food was exceptional. Cannot wait to go back

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Drapers38
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband and I spent 6 days at Cambridge Beaches to escape Wisconsin Winter and celebrate our 26th Anniversary and Valentine's Day. It was a delightful break - I haven't been to Cambridge Beaches in 40 years and my husband had never been to Bermuda. He has moderate Parkinson's Disease and I was interested in finding a location that didn't require too much moving around, climbing stairs or frenzy. We were delighted by our accommodations in our sweet pink cottage (I sat on my patio facing Mangrove Bay each morning and did watercolor paintings) and the breakfast, high English tea and dinner included in our MAP each day couldn't have been better. The food was beautifully prepared with marvelous selections. Valentine's day was really special. Each evening at dinner there was wonderful live music. I had been concerned that the costs were prohibitive, but taking into account the food and all the amenities that were included, this simply had to be a terrific deal. The new spa is glorious. I took a Pilates class offered for guests and Cambridge Beaches also offered a few special activities - like a cooking demonstration or a wine class - each day. We were able to easily take the bus to the Dockyards, or the ferry to Hamilton, and the taxi to church on Sunday. We felt so very pampered without being overwhelmed by "resort" stuff and we were able to have a civilized, calm and relaxing holiday. I have traveled to many places but have never been so well served by helpful, cheerful staff.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!