“Private Beach Candlelight Dinner”
Review of Cambridge Beaches

Cambridge Beaches
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Although I didn't stay at the hotel -- I did surprise my husband with the private beach candlelight dinner. I will say that although it didn't start off well (they seated us at our private table on the beach with the sun beating down on us (sunburn anyone?) and sunbathers all around (what happened to privacy?)...they did remedy the situation after I complained about it. They brought us into the shade for 1/2 hour and brought us back out a little before the sun went down and the sunbathers had finally started to depart. -- The resort should have started the dinner at 8 instead of 7 because of the sun situation and collect the lounge chairs so that sunbathers aren't invading your privacy -- but once we were seated the 2nd time around it all was very excellent -- from our waitress Carlita who wasn't intrusive in the least and always willing to take pictures of us -- to the ambiance in general -- you watch the sun setting in the horizon, hear the waves splashing as night falls and the stars twinkle. They light tiki torches so you can see once its nighttime and you hear the frogs singing and the fish jumping in and out of the water. My husband who usually isn't at a loss for words was amazed by the experience (surprise for his bday) and I can see people proposing during the dinner. The experience isn't cheap but my husband's reaction was priceless...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TinabethTravels
There are newer reviews for Cambridge Beaches

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Super amazing getaway !! My mom and I stayed at Cambridge Beaches during the last week of May and our room had a spectacular ocean view but what made our stay beyond superb is outstanding customer service that was provided by stuff . Super friendly, smiley and attentive. Service that was provided by Luke was way and beyond superior .. thank you for that. You truly understand the meaning of customer service!!!

We will be back because of you.!

NY.NY.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vita c
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I live in Bermuda but was looking for a chance to play tourist for the weekend - relax and unwind without having to get off the rock. Cambridge Beaches was the perfect spot. It has everything you would hope for in an island resort, including a pink sand beach and crystal clear water on one side, and modern infinity pool and a "Miami vibe" lounge area and bar on the other side.

The room was comfortable and clean, and had a large sliding glass door to let in the ocean view and breeze. We spent a lot of our time out on the patio, which was conveniently set up with a table, chairs, two chaise lounges, and an umbrella. Ice delivered daily to our room, along with a small fridge in the room, kept our champagne at the perfect temperature!

The one thing not to miss is dinner on the beach at Breezes. Ask for a table on the beach (we were lucky enough that one was open). I've eaten at almost every restaurant in Bermuda, and this was the most beautiful setting I've been in. And, a pleasant surprise, the service was also among the warmest and most professional I've experienced on the Island.

Whoever is training the staff is certainly doing a great job! Really enjoyed all of the servers, the hostess at Breezes, and the staff working at the watersports hut who so kindly helped us rent a kayak. Again, another activity not to be missed. We saw about 6 sea turtles during our venture, which really amounted to more sunbathing than active paddling (post lunch and post swizzle)! Definitely an activity that anyone could do and be able to see Bermuda from the best point of view - out on the water.

I definitely recommend Cambridge for visitors and residents alike!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the Cambridge Beaches Resort and Spa during the month of May.
We had a deluxe view room (the Emmet) which had a great view of the ocean.

The Cambridge Beaches Resort is an upscale resort in the Sandys Parish area.
The resort has a spa, gym, putting green, private beach, beachside restaurant, and great ocean views throughout the resort.

Details:
Staff:
Staff are very friendly. From our bellhops George and Larry, the front desk team, the spa director Louise, the beach attendant Luke, and all of the wait staff, we found all of the staff to be very pleasant.

Views:
This resort has great views of the ocean. We found that all areas had beautiful ocean views from outside our room to the private beach

Breakfast:
The buffet breakfast in the morning was very good. There was hot food such as scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, and cold options such as cereals, yogurt, and breads. There was even an omlette station.

Price:
This is a top notch resort so it is a little pricey. Purchasing two drinks from the beach bar cost me $24.00. There is a liquor store just down the way so one could top up their mini fridge.

Nightlife:
The resort is definitely a "relaxation resort" so if you are looking for a party resort, this is definitely not the resort for you

Location:
I found the resort to be perfectly located for what I wanted to do in Bermuda.
With it being so close to the dockyards (a $12 cab ride from the resort or a $4 bus ride), we were able to hit the Dockyards and hop a ferry to Hamilton or other locations.
Plus the Dockyards have direct buses to places like Horseshoe Bay and the Lighthouse.

All in all my wife and I had a great stay at the Cambridge Beaches Resort and would definitely stay because of the staff.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I just spent a wonderful week at this resort on the western side of Bermuda. It occupies its own peninsula and spectacular views from just about everywhere. The grounds are immaculately landscaped and the buildings are all well maintained. My suite (deluxe ocean view) was very comfortable, large and clean, if a bit dated. It offered just about every amenity one could ask for and had a spectacular view from its balcony of Long Bay and the Atlantic. The beach in front of my suite was the main beach and it was about 2-3 hundred yards wide. You could walk into the crystal clear water about 100 yards before getting in above your waist. There are beach personnel available all day to bring towels, set up your beach lounge and umbrella and be of general assistance. The facilities offered here are extensive. There is an outdoor infinity pool, a heated (90*F) indoor pool and spa. There are various sports venues.....exercise equipment, tennis courts, putting green and various aquatic theme rentals (kayaks, snorkeling equipment, etc.).
The overall atmosphere is that of quiet peace and relaxation. Even at full capacity, it doesn't seem crowded. The staff are very friendly and always willing to help when needed, but not intrusive.
The only reason I gave this property less than a five rating is the restaurants. First of all, let me say that the quality of the food is good, if not spectacular. Breakfast is included and is an abundant buffet with all the usual offerings that you would find on a cruise. There are three restaurants, two of which were open for dinner while I was there. Tamarisk is the more formal offering and while the menu changed every day, the food looked better on the menu than its execution. Again, not bad, just not great. Shutters is the informal restaurant, i.e. burgers, pasta, sandwiches, etc. Breezes is on the beach and was only open for lunch while I was there. The most disappointing thing about these restaurants was service and price. Bermuda is an expensive destination, but I thought that prices here were unnecessarily so. At Shutters, a hamburger and fries cost $16.00 and it took 45 minutes to reach my table. Another night, I ordered an omelet for $15.00 and after 30 minutes, it arrived dry and brown. Tamarisk is better, but you will be hard put to eat for less than $40.00 per person.
Overall, I enjoyed the ambience and beauty of Cambridge Beaches Resort and will undoubtedly go again. I'll just bring a large jar of peanut butter with me.

Room Tip: A deluxe ocean view room is just that.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RobertKnobler
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our second stay at this resort and for many reasons we will return again and again. In fact, I have already reserved our return visit. We stayed in a pool suite, which is over 800 sq ft with a separate bedroom, living room and large bathroom area. Outside is your own private plunge pool overlooking the bluest Bermuda waters. There is no reason to ever leave the suite during the day and we don't. I found the food in the main dining room as well as the menu to be far superior than it was about 8 months ago. No staff member ever says no - the service is impeccable. Are there some things I would like to see improved? Probably, but nothing that would improve the experience by leaps and bounds - just make it more heavenly.

Room Tip: If you can manage a pool suite they are the way to go!
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We travelled to Bermuda for our tenth anniversary and had heard great things about Cambridge Beaches. We booked a cottage overlooking the ocean (Deluxe Premium Water View). The sitting room and bedroom were adequate, but not what I would expect from a '4-star' resort. The bathroom was very old, with ants pouring through the cracks along the bathtub and a toilet that was not properly affixed to the wall so that each time you sat down, you thought it would tip over. On the third day, we noticed that the cleaning staff did not provide clean glasses in our room, instead, they rinsed our dirty glasses in the bathroom sink (where my husband just shaved). When we voiced our dissatisfaction at reception, we were given a polite 'sorry about that' and they were to notify the manager. I asked for clean glasses in the future. The following day, the housekeeper rinsed our glasses once again in the sink. For a supposedly high quality resort, it is terrible to have to purchase disposable glasses!

The good:
- Quiet and relatively private; our cottage had a nice patio with a beautiful view to enjoy the sunset (some other resorts appeared to be more crowded based on our observation, the relative solitude of Cambridge Beaches is likely one of the primary strengths of the resort)
- Spacious cottage; plenty of room with high ceilings
- Very nice grounds; although during our visit it appeared there was work ongoing and grooming of the grounds to prepare for peak season, it still was quite nice
- Good breakfast buffet in the morning with a variety of items to choose from
- A putting green and tennis courts are easily accessed

The bad:
- Furniture and fixtures in need of renewal; chairs and sofa show a lot of wear, one chair was torn
- Bathroom in poor condition; toilet rocked on the floor, cracks in shower tiles, low quality bathroom fixtures, old and stained tub
- Housekeeping practices; e.g. “washing” glasses in the bathroom sink
- The beaches are nice if you are into lying in the sun, but not great for swimming; the primary beach is too shallow and the second beach is quite rocky underfoot. We visited many of the public beaches (Warwick Long Bay through to Horseshoe Bay, Church Bay and Tobacco Bay) and loved them. Be aware that some of these beaches often have very strong currents and caution is advised for swimming and snorkeling.
- Service was hit and miss; we visited a couple of other higher end restaurants in Hamilton, and the service was quite good. By comparison the dinner service at Tamarisk was far below the level we had expected, and went off the resort for most dinners as a result.
- The seclusion comes with the trade-off of access the rest of the island; while it’s not all that far, it is a bit of a walk to access public transit. We spent our days seeing Bermuda; by the end of the week it was a bit tiresome to walk to and from the resort from the bus stop.

There are positives about Cambridge Beaches, but if we visit Bermuda in the future (we enjoyed our visit to Bermuda overall) we will likely try other accommodations.

3  Thank Brenda B
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!