“Elegant, nice restaurant”

The Point Restaurant & Terrace
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The best fine dining in Bermuda
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We had a very nice meal here. It's not for kids--it's a grown up place. If you like nouvelle cuisine, give it a try. It's pricey but worth it.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Great food, amazing service. They even have portion sizes for smaller appetites.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Although the resort is new they have done a good job making the restaurant and bar look 'old Bermuda' with traditional beamed ceilings and cedar wood. We found the menu extensive with many different choices. The food was good and the service excellent. The prices reasonable for the quality of the food and service. House chardonay was $9 per glass! Tucker's Point Resort is on a bus line with limited service hours so a taxi is the best way to get there.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

Fresh from the announcement that the Rosewood Hotels Group will take over the operations of Tuckers Point Hotel, the first luxury hotel to be built in Bermuda for 40 years, we went with some friends to dinner at it’s flagship restaurant The Point on Saturday night for the first time and to see if the hotel’s service deficiences had improved.

The place was packed, which was great to see. Tables had plenty of space in between them and although the restaurant had a formal feel (a jacket was required), it was in no way stuffy.

The walls are decorated with huge murals (photo) from the former Sky Club in the Pan Am building in New York, now the Met Life Building. The murals depict the world’s major ports and it gave the space a tranquil atmosphere. I must admit I liked the room very much, as I did the English style bar attached to the main restaurant.

The restaurant has a lot of people working in it, although whether they each had planned roles and responsibilities was up for debate. Our waiter was frankly a disaster. My other half is vegetarian and when she asked him for any suggestions, he told her that they “wouldn’t be able to do anything special.” Lucky it wasn’t a special night then I told him. Rosewood have some work to do with their wait staff.

I was disappointed with the menu, it didn’t inspire me or drive me crazy with decisions but whilst we were picking and my other half was struggling with her choice of pumpkin ravioli or pumpkin ravioli, we were given an amuse bouche which always gets me excited, but the sweet and sticky espresso cup of lobster bisque soon dented any euphoria.

For starters I went for the tuna 3 ways, which was sashimi, smoked and tartare and it was alright. My other half plumped for a fennel, goat cheese and pine nut salad. It was neatly put together put was missing any zip. Our friends made a better choice with the blue crab and asparagus.

Main course I went for the braised short rib with grilled sirloin but it lacked imagination and anything to accompany it other than mash. The stuffed chicken looked a whole lot better. My other half’s ravioli was, well just as the waiter had informed us, not very special.

The food was a disappointment and naturally it wasn’t cheap. Main courses were on average up in the $38 range. For four of us the bill was just north of $500, which did include a couple of bottles of wine, which reminds me that the wine list didn’t appear to do justice to the wonderful 3,000 bottle wine cellar on show in the restaurant.

The Point is overseen by chef Serge Bottelli, who is of Swiss descent but has been in Bermuda for a long time. Maybe he should do a stint back overseas as to me his menu and food lacked panache and was short on ideas. The setting and atmosphere will no doubt lure us back given the lack of luxurious choices on the island but I hope for better next time and a different waiter.

3  Thank ChicagoAddick
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had a delicious dinner here from a menu that is fresh, varied and creative. We each had main courses of fish (swordfish for him; the tuna special for me,) which include appropriate accompaniements. The first courses were also fine: lobster bisque; fresh salad greens. Various amuse-goules appear, as well as dessert tidbits with the coffee.

We also like the fact that most main courses are available in full-size or a smaller portion for about 3/4 the price. This helps to accomodate smaller appetites, sampling more courses, whatever.

Prices are not cheap, but in line for nice places in Bermuda. Mains are mostly in the $32 - 40 range; first courses mostly $10 - $18.

The only menu disappointment came when some of the sorbets that were shown with specific desserts were not available in the sorbet assortment choice. My husband is a sorbet fan, particularly of unusual flavors, and it seemed odd that they could not accomodate this request. It should be: "Of course we can do that..."

The room is quite formal, but atmospheric. The room is filled with flowers and murals of historic ports. The tables are nicely spaced so that you don't get cross-currents of conversations from other tables. It would be nice if there was more of a view of the ocean, but it's a very comfortable room.

The service was excellent. Polished, professional, there when you need them without having to ask, etc. There was a range of diners: couples of various ages; parties of various sizes; some families with well-behaved children (NOT the kind of place where they could or should let off some steam.) All seemed to get very good service.

The service throughout the hotel was excellent. We did not stay at the hotel, but were warmly and courteously greeted from our cab at the resoirt's main entrance, given directions to the restaurant (the doorman seemed to know we were coming -- good coordination!), and asked to let our waiter know that we needed a cab when we were ready to wrap up the evening.

Jackets required for the gentlemen.

Since we usually stay on a different part of Bermuda, I'm not sure how soon we'll be back, but we'd be happy to return for an excellent dinner.

1  Thank Mme_X