“3 night getaway”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just got back from 3 nights in Bermuda and have to say Grotto Bay was great. When we arrived guest services gave us a complete run down of where to go and what to do. Hamilton Friday, St. George Saturday, and the Dockyards Sunday in that order since Sunday's hamilton and St George was closed.
When in Hamilton go to Barracudas, great food, best we had all weekend.
When in St. George's eat at Art Mel's for a fish sandwich, you can split it, it's huge. Best fish sandwich
Swizzle inn -everyone says you have to go, if drinking go, food is ok
Dockyards for Sundays - tourist area, historical fort
Beaches- Horseshoe is best. St David's has some nice beaches as well

Now Grotto Bay:
Real cool cave, if you have kids you book based on that alone
Pool- heated
Very pretty bay with small beach
Convenient to airport
Clean updated rooms
Main lobby attractive with nice views of bay on a hill
Staff very friendly- guest service lady hugged us. Who doesn't need a hug? Forgot her name but she has worked there 40 yrs!

Would highly recommend

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Schneiderusa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,768)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

It was warmer in Maryland than it was in Bermuda this past week, however, that was not Grotto Bay's fault. Though we didn't get to enjoy a "beach" vacation, which I knew originally was a long shot given the time of the year, we still totally enjoyed Grotto Bay Resort and beautiful Bermuda.

I want to share some thoughts about the "all inclusive" package for those adults over 50 who have been to other resorts in Jamaica and Mexico. It is very different. First of all, we always go to adult all inclusive resorts. Grotto Bay, I feel, is a much better place for families. I can't tell you how many times I said to my husband that I wished that we had brought our two sons here when they were between 10 to 15 years of age. There is an amazing cave that you could swim in (too cold for us, though!), tennis, kayaking, fish watching, a heated pool, etc. I enjoyed watching the youngsters frolic! The pool was a bit small and filled with young kids jumping off the sides with noodles, etc., so it was not inviting to us. But, families seemed to really enjoy it!

The very positive side of this resort is the food and drink. We loved having burgers by the pool. Their fried calamari was one of the best I have ever had. Salads were delicious. Breakfast was anything you could ever ask for. There was a breakfast bar set up if you wanted to just toast a bagel, get a croissant and OJ and coffee with trays to bring back to your room. We often did that and sat on our beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. For dinners, you could eat at either of the two restaurants and pick from either menu. On Friday, the dinner buffet was huge and included prime rib and a pasta bar. Now for the drinks, the only thing that wasn't included in the all inclusive price were things like Grandmanier and elaborate coctails. The Goslings rum and ginger beer drinks were fantastic. Also, for you beer lovers, they had the best choices than any other all inclusive we have been to. You could order Heineken, becks, stella artois, bud, bud light, Amstel light or guiness in cans and bottles. How the all inclusive works is that you just have to sign for everything that you order with a zero balance. You can give a tip, however, it is included in the price. You have the option to leave more of a tip for special service. This leads me to reviewing the service at Grotto Bay.....

We did leave the staff extra tips because I can say, hands down, Bermudians are the nicest people I have ever met! Nothing was ever a problem for them! Because it was a slower time of the year , the bartenders and waiters spent so much time telling us of Bermuda's history, tales of their childhood, where to visit on the island, etc. I have to point out that Renee, Shakara, Richard and Charlie were so helpful and just so nice to us. We were treated so well, with their amazing service.

We took the bus (which is also included in your all inclusive pass) to Hamilton, which is a nice city and to St. Georges, which is a cute small town. I suggest taking the tour and seeing the wench get dunked when you go. It is only offered on certain days, so ask the concierge about it. We got to hear about Bermuda's history by a really interesting gentlemen.

Bermuda is just beautiful and the people were so friendly, wherever we went. Would I go back? Certainly, but only when we become grandparents and can go as a family. I would go back just to see the dear staff that I mentioned!!!:) For anyone who drinks more than a couple of drinks a day, I would suggest the all inclusive option, as drinks are anywhere from 6 to 9 $'s and lunch around $70, and dinner well over $100 for two.With this option, you are able to take a few beers or drinks back to your room. They will also give you bottled water as well. . Plus, you get the bus pass and all privileges at the resort. We look forward to coming back again in the future with our family.

Room Tip: 121 was private enough and close to the pool and beach. A great view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank marboe1223
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have just completed a 7 day all inclusive stay at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort, it's a fantastic hotel with the most helpful attentive staff you can find, the service was 5 star, great food great facilities, our 2 boys aged 6&8 loved the pool and the pool attendant Richard, this guy brings sunshine to your day a,

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Zayne A
Reviewed April 10, 2014

just returned from our third stay at the grotto bay as usual all we can say is wonderful I would strongly suggest this hotel to anyone visiting our favorite island Bermuda see all our friends there again soon regards to all

Room Tip: all rooms are good but second third floor have great bay views
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bradford C
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great resort and location on the beautiful bay and not far from the airport. Highlights:

Beach!
caves you can even swim in
hot tub
good food
great views
boat rentals onsite!
walk to Swizzle Inn and ice cream store

We don't drink much and so we decided not to do the all inclusive. Food was great but pricey as you'd expect. Service was great with only a couple of grumpy restaurant bartenders oddly enough. Limited restaurant hours a mild inconvenience.

Room Tip: Great views from almost anywhere on the property
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JFK2013
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have just returned from a nine day all-inclusive break at the Grotto Bay resort.

On check-in I was warmly welcomed and given an explanation on what was what around the resort. I was given a small brochure providing details on meal times, laundry, spa internet, and a local bus pass. Seven day internet connection cost BM$50.00.

The king-size bed room was comfortable and was kept clean by the very efficient room cleaning staff. The only issue I had was a rather noisy room air conditioner which I kept switched off at night.

A full buffet style breakfast was provided in the Hibiscus Room, I also used this facility most evenings for dinner as well. On occasion I used the Palm Court restaurant in the evening just to provide some variety for myself. I was advised to book for dinner. This recommendation is worth taking especially if you wish to eat early say 18:30 – 19:30. After 20:00 the number of diners in both restaurants appeared to tail-off. This may have been due to the large number of senior guests in residence. The food was of a high standard with plenty of choice, including daily ‘specials’. From 01 April I able to have an alfresco lunch each day near the pool, great!

The pool and small adjacent beach were well maintained. The pool water was on the warm side, whereas the sea temperature was around 20deg (C) a bit cold, however it was early April!

The Bar staff became familiar with my drink requirements which I found impressive!

On the last day check out being at 11:00, I had a bit of a wait in the resort, room-less, before my evening flight. The hotel does provide shower/changing facilities for those like me departing ‘late’. As I had arrived ‘late’ on day 1 and had effectively ‘missed’ dinner that day, I was offered lunch on the last day, post check-out.

I shall definitely visit the Grotto Bay Resort again using the same deal.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank edinv
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Grotto Bay resort. The food was fantastic, the room was comfortable (we had a king bed with two cots for the little ones), the people were friendly and the staff were helpful. If I wanted to get really, really picky, I would say the air conditioning was a touch noisy, but I like white noise so that wasn't a sleeping distraction.

Special note to Stephen at the bell desk who went above and beyond to find our little one's bear when it went missing on the shuttle bus. So many tears averted! Victor, Veronica, James and Matthew in the dining room also went out of their way to make sure our kids' food came first, keeping the small fry happy at dinner.

The beach is perfect for small kids -- lots to explore and sheltered. Many seniors tours were visiting when we were there, which meant we didn't really bump into many people in the pool or on the beach.

We'd definitely go again.

Room Tip: We were in the 110-130 block of rooms, which is close to the ocean and the pool. It was a perfect fo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!