“A great time”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We visited Bermuda for the 4th time in June to celebrate our 35 anniversary. We decided to stay some where different than we had stayed before and chose Grotto Bay. We were glad we did and had a great experience. Our room was comfortable and had a beautiful view of Bailey's Bay and the ocean. The resort was small but offered a wonderful environment to relax and enjoy Bermuda's beauty. They have an all inclusive feature but we would recommend not paying for it. The food was good but we wanted to feel free to explore the island. Bermuda has a great bus system which is easy to use and has a stop right out in front of the resort. We had a couple of small issues occur and were pleased with the Front Desk Manager's willingness to resolve them cheerfully. The concierge staff went above and beyond to ensure we had the best experience in all that we tried to do while visiting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrg7175

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is a very nice hotel situated 1 minute from the airport. Although its close to the airport I didnt hear any planes
ok, let me start, cab will cost you $9 from the airport
the greeters (they were very nice) will take your luggages and hold them until you are checked in
in my case, i flew from nyc and the airline that i took (which i love) arrived early in the morning.
no rooms were ready for me. it was 11am I waited until 2pm and was told my room (817) was ready (do not get this room or 800s location) its up the hill and its farthest from everything) upon my arrival, i open the room door to see that my room wasnt ready.... what i didnt like was that i was traveling with my elderly mother, the associate should have been proactive and offer us a ride up the hill.. the funny thing was that they decided to offer us the ride down to hill back to the reception area.. we had to wait another hour for a room... wasted 4 hours on a room...
finally got my room--532 - this is the closest building (500s) to the reception area (main building) the room was nicely set up and clean the room had a balcony overlooking the pool and the beach bed were comfortable good bath tub and tv.. no complaints
the pool was nice... the beach was nice and small no hard waves, the beach offers a sliding tube for an extra cost of 9 usd which was ridiculous.. by the gazebo (by the smaller beach) you can see all the nice fishes which was nice.. the hotel offers two caves which was awesome, we went in and took a dip in the cooler water which was a nice experience.. breakfast was included in my package and it was delightful didnt eat lunch or dinner.. if you are not all inclusive you will have to pay a lot for food.. water was 3.50usd they dont provide complimentary water

overall, hotel was nice - close to airport far from hamilton, not much to do in the area unless you jump on the bus to hamilton
if you are looking for peace and quietness - i recommend it
if you are seeking some thrills - not the place

will i come again - i will consider it

Room Tip: 532 to be close to the lobby if you want to be by the pool the 300s or 400s
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank raydan1324
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed only one night at the Grotto Bay, because the Fairmont Southampton had double booked us and had to put is in there for a night at the start of our stay. It was absolutely wonderful, the location, the view, the beach, the pool - the caves and lobsters are unbelievable. The staff/service were absolutely fantastic and breakfast (the only meal I ate there) was top quality. It was so good that having to move to the Fairmont was a real disappointment and I wished we could have stayed the whole trip here.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell the rooms all seem to have a fantastic outlook and access to the property/bar/b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My family and I stayed there for 3 nights. The room was small and only had double beds. The bath tub was strange, it only had 1/2 of a glass door towards the front which made no sense. I had to climb in the tub to help my daughter was her hair because I could not reach her through the front. This hotel has a lot of steps. If you don't like to climb, do not stay here. The pool is also small. The food is pricey but I expected that having been to Bermuda before but 15.00 for a kids grilled cheese is a bit too much. Some of the front desk staff were not so nice. I was handed a credit voucher to be used towards purchases made at the hotel and I even asked about it twice and was told it was part of my package but when I checked out they told me it must have been given to me by mistake and I was not getting a credit. How can you tell someone it was part of your package then say no it was a mistake? The only thing I liked about this hotel was the beach area, the beautiful fish and the cave you can swim in. This hotel is far from the south side beaches I would suggest a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Diana C
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here on a girls getaway so it was booked by one of my girlfriends who had never been to the island. I on the other hand have been vacationing in Bermuda for 40+years staying at Pink Beach Club, Castle Harbour and most recently the amazing Pompano Beach Club.
The lobby itself and proximity of the resort to the airport is the one good thing, from there it goes downhill. We did do the all-inclusive plan and tipped heavily in addition to the already included gratuity thinking we would get better service throughout our stay. At this resort it did not seem to matter. The food was mediocre at best, in both dining rooms the menu looks appealing and the food should taste much better than it did. One waiter in particular, I cannot remember his name, just seemed to want to get us through our meal as quickly as possible and had no people skills. I was unbelievably disappointed with the wine selection on the all-inclusive plan. I wish we had the option to pay more to at least enjoy glasses of wine which were drinkable. I am a wine enthusiast and a foodie so this is what makes or breaks a hotel for me. Our rooms were acceptable, beds were comfortable and housekeeping staff was good. Only one night were we left with no towels when they serviced our room. Stairs are all over the resort and can be tough if you are older but that is the case at many properties in Bermuda. The beach, out of anyone's control due to it being man made, was not great. No pink sand to be seen and no one to help move chairs or put umbrella's up. We had to use a shovel and dig our own hole for the umbrella. Also, since it is mostly all-inclusive no beverage service at the beach. We had to go to pool bar ourselves and get drinks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MHD4
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had been planning this since last August, and after several e-mails to mr. Martens, decided this would be our special treat for each other, since we spent our honeymoon in bermuda, at the now demolished sonesta property. Grotto bay was even more than I expected! Our room 633 in sandy"s lodge was glorious; spacious, clean, modern, gorgeous views of the bay, many lovely bathroom amenities and conveniently located. I cannot say enough kind words about the staff we met from mr. Martens, Dennie "dimples", esme, the waiters, Ben, Matthew, Wayne and everyone working at the hotel front desk (the first to greet you) were more than helpful,friendly, and, Lovely to chat up. We opted for the all inclusive, and felt this was the most cost friendly option even bottles of water for our excursions,the extra cup of coffee to take back to the room, and the after dinner drinks to enjoy while sitting on the expansive lawn added up to a smart decision. The food was fabulous, two theme bar bar b ques. were delish,breakfasts were awesome (thanks to my favorite omelet and half waffle guy), bartenders were very nice and made sure you enjoyed your cocktails. The bay was heaven, pool lovely and we immensely enjoyed both.
I cannot understand the negativity of some people who have nothing but nasty comments, perhaps they should stay home.
My husband and I will definitely return to this small slice of paradise! Hopefully before 25 years pass!
June 25-29, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank palovelylady
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Mainly just underwhelmed... Bermuda is a beautiful island and would go back tomorrow if i could but would stay somewhere else. My main complaint would be with the staff at the front desk. We were given a room apparently that went unused for a long time according to the housekeeping staff member who we needed to request when we found dead insects and cobwebs in the room when we checked in. The location of the room we were given overlooked the maintenance yard which was a lower level room we were suppose to have a view which might as well been no view. When we called to explain we were two women and felt unsafe with the location of our out of the way room besides the dead insects we were told it was the room we booked and no exchanges were available. Then had to call regularly or chase down housekeeping because towels were taken daily and never replaced. There must be better places to stay on this amazing island. That's what I would suggest if you're planning a trip to Bermuda.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a upper level room... not ground level prior to coming because it seems like t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!