“Could have been better in BDA”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here on a girls getaway so it was booked by one of my girlfriends who had never been to the island. I on the other hand have been vacationing in Bermuda for 40+years staying at Pink Beach Club, Castle Harbour and most recently the amazing Pompano Beach Club.
The lobby itself and proximity of the resort to the airport is the one good thing, from there it goes downhill. We did do the all-inclusive plan and tipped heavily in addition to the already included gratuity thinking we would get better service throughout our stay. At this resort it did not seem to matter. The food was mediocre at best, in both dining rooms the menu looks appealing and the food should taste much better than it did. One waiter in particular, I cannot remember his name, just seemed to want to get us through our meal as quickly as possible and had no people skills. I was unbelievably disappointed with the wine selection on the all-inclusive plan. I wish we had the option to pay more to at least enjoy glasses of wine which were drinkable. I am a wine enthusiast and a foodie so this is what makes or breaks a hotel for me. Our rooms were acceptable, beds were comfortable and housekeeping staff was good. Only one night were we left with no towels when they serviced our room. Stairs are all over the resort and can be tough if you are older but that is the case at many properties in Bermuda. The beach, out of anyone's control due to it being man made, was not great. No pink sand to be seen and no one to help move chairs or put umbrella's up. We had to use a shovel and dig our own hole for the umbrella. Also, since it is mostly all-inclusive no beverage service at the beach. We had to go to pool bar ourselves and get drinks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MHD4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had been planning this since last August, and after several e-mails to mr. Martens, decided this would be our special treat for each other, since we spent our honeymoon in bermuda, at the now demolished sonesta property. Grotto bay was even more than I expected! Our room 633 in sandy"s lodge was glorious; spacious, clean, modern, gorgeous views of the bay, many lovely bathroom amenities and conveniently located. I cannot say enough kind words about the staff we met from mr. Martens, Dennie "dimples", esme, the waiters, Ben, Matthew, Wayne and everyone working at the hotel front desk (the first to greet you) were more than helpful,friendly, and, Lovely to chat up. We opted for the all inclusive, and felt this was the most cost friendly option even bottles of water for our excursions,the extra cup of coffee to take back to the room, and the after dinner drinks to enjoy while sitting on the expansive lawn added up to a smart decision. The food was fabulous, two theme bar bar b ques. were delish,breakfasts were awesome (thanks to my favorite omelet and half waffle guy), bartenders were very nice and made sure you enjoyed your cocktails. The bay was heaven, pool lovely and we immensely enjoyed both.
I cannot understand the negativity of some people who have nothing but nasty comments, perhaps they should stay home.
My husband and I will definitely return to this small slice of paradise! Hopefully before 25 years pass!
June 25-29, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank palovelylady
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Mainly just underwhelmed... Bermuda is a beautiful island and would go back tomorrow if i could but would stay somewhere else. My main complaint would be with the staff at the front desk. We were given a room apparently that went unused for a long time according to the housekeeping staff member who we needed to request when we found dead insects and cobwebs in the room when we checked in. The location of the room we were given overlooked the maintenance yard which was a lower level room we were suppose to have a view which might as well been no view. When we called to explain we were two women and felt unsafe with the location of our out of the way room besides the dead insects we were told it was the room we booked and no exchanges were available. Then had to call regularly or chase down housekeeping because towels were taken daily and never replaced. There must be better places to stay on this amazing island. That's what I would suggest if you're planning a trip to Bermuda.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a upper level room... not ground level prior to coming because it seems like t...
1  Thank Chris_H3001
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Grotto Bay over the Fourth of July weekend. We thought the location was good as it was close to the airport and St Goerges but also not to far from Hamilton or the South Shore beaches (20-30 min). We were on the breakfast only plan and the breakfast was decent but we ate no other meals at the hotel. We rented mopeds right down the street which was very convenient and spent alot of time riding around the island on them.
The rooms were clean and since we had an ocean view room had a very nice view but the decor was dated.
We did not find the staff to be terribly helpful and struggled twice to secure a cab to dinner as the bellman in front and the front desk were not that interested in helping. The beach attendant also told my wife that he was "done putting up umbrellas, put up your own". Not exactly the response that was expected.
The beach was fine but you should be aware it is on more of a bay than the open ocean so if you are looking for a resort with a pink sand beach you will have to go some place else for that. This did not bother us as we enjoyed riding to the beach everyday on our moped but you should be aware of this.
If you go into you trip having read the reviews on this site you will get pretty much what you read. I would recommend this hotel to others armed with the knowledge in these comments.
One last thing my wife and I did have a couples massage in the cave on the property and this is definitely something that you should try. The setting is an incredible underground cave and the therapists were outstanding

1  Thank Michael D
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Michael D,

I wish to thank you for your comments and apologize for the comment made by our beach attendant. Please be ensured that this is not deemed acceptable and will be dealt with.

Regarding taxi service/bellman: I contacted the authorities in charge of taxi service to complain about taxi availability last Saturday and was assured that action will be taken. Our bellmen have had challenges getting taxi service for our guests and may have been frustrated. Not an excuse for service level however.

Regards,

JP Martens

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Grotto Bay in early June and could not be happier with our choice. The room was fine, the view lovely, and the grounds beautiful. The all inclusive plan was well worth it - lots of variety and it was delicious. Everyone we came into contact with at the resort - Liviu, Christian, Veronica, Victor, Juliette, Alphonso, June, and Esme could not have been nicer. We especially enjoyed the nature walk along the railway trail with Mr. Hollis. I am sure I missed some names - let's just say everyone we met made us feel welcome.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank iheartsnorkeling
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Grotto Bay for 4 nights to celebrate of 20th anniversary. We purchased the inclusive package and it was worth every penny. Great location, food and staff. They have 2 parties for the guest while we were there and it was alot of fun. I highly recommend this hotel and the inclusive package.

Room Tip: We stayed near the pool, bay and main house. Not a good hotel if you have a cane or wheelchair. Alot...
2  Thank novadonna
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading reviews for a few months prior to our trip, I was a bit concerned with the negativity surrounding this resort in some of the postings. As it turns out, my husband and I are very happy with our decision to travel to Bermuda and our stay at Grotto Bay. The resort itself was lovely and fit in perfectly with the beautiful surroundings.
We chose the all-inclusive plan and believe that was a great choice for us. The plan includes 3 meals, bus and ferry passes as well as access to all non-motorized activities at the beach. We did travel around the island quite extensively so we ended up eating out for lunch a few times. Two of our lunches off the resort were close to $50 - this was for 2 beers and some very poor quality sandwiches. (Both of these restaurants were recommended.) That is close to half the price of the inclusive daily rate at Grotto Bay. In contrast, the lunch at the resort was quite delicious, more than we could consume and there were many choices.
The beach, grounds, etc... were beautiful. Our room did have an older comforter, but everything was clean and suited our needs quite well. We didn't spend much time in our room, but found the size and comfort level of the met our expectations.
I know I read some negative comments regarding the staff and I would like to add my two cents. We did deal with some bartenders who were friendlier than others, but isn't this the case anywhere? (The two lady bartenders who served us were delightful). In their defense, I did witness some guests who were a bit full of themselves, and in some cases, a bit obnoxious. I wonder if some of these types are ones who write poor reviews. Perhaps not, just saying.....
Finally, I have to say the wonderful dining experience couldn't even happen without the exceptional wait-staff and probably kitchen staff and the chef(s). The wait-staff and hosts were outstanding. We met Christian from Romania, Dawoud from Tri Lanka, a kind man from Transylvania, etc....Truly, these fine people made our dining experience.
The island is picturesque and over-all, the Bermudians were friendly and helpful. We typically travel to Mexico so this trip was quite different. We appreciated being able to leave the resort and travel all around. We would not have had anywhere near that freedom in Mexico!
All-in-all, we had a wonderful trip and would recommend this resort to anyone.
Hello to Dawoud from the Johnsons :)

3  Thank Sarjajo
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!