“Great Place”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
“Great Place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Grotto Bay in early June and could not be happier with our choice. The room was fine, the view lovely, and the grounds beautiful. The all inclusive plan was well worth it - lots of variety and it was delicious. Everyone we came into contact with at the resort - Liviu, Christian, Veronica, Victor, Juliette, Alphonso, June, and Esme could not have been nicer. We especially enjoyed the nature walk along the railway trail with Mr. Hollis. I am sure I missed some names - let's just say everyone we met made us feel welcome.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank iheartsnorkeling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Grotto Bay for 4 nights to celebrate of 20th anniversary. We purchased the inclusive package and it was worth every penny. Great location, food and staff. They have 2 parties for the guest while we were there and it was alot of fun. I highly recommend this hotel and the inclusive package.

Room Tip: We stayed near the pool, bay and main house. Not a good hotel if you have a cane or wheelchair. Alot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank novadonna
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading reviews for a few months prior to our trip, I was a bit concerned with the negativity surrounding this resort in some of the postings. As it turns out, my husband and I are very happy with our decision to travel to Bermuda and our stay at Grotto Bay. The resort itself was lovely and fit in perfectly with the beautiful surroundings.
We chose the all-inclusive plan and believe that was a great choice for us. The plan includes 3 meals, bus and ferry passes as well as access to all non-motorized activities at the beach. We did travel around the island quite extensively so we ended up eating out for lunch a few times. Two of our lunches off the resort were close to $50 - this was for 2 beers and some very poor quality sandwiches. (Both of these restaurants were recommended.) That is close to half the price of the inclusive daily rate at Grotto Bay. In contrast, the lunch at the resort was quite delicious, more than we could consume and there were many choices.
The beach, grounds, etc... were beautiful. Our room did have an older comforter, but everything was clean and suited our needs quite well. We didn't spend much time in our room, but found the size and comfort level of the met our expectations.
I know I read some negative comments regarding the staff and I would like to add my two cents. We did deal with some bartenders who were friendlier than others, but isn't this the case anywhere? (The two lady bartenders who served us were delightful). In their defense, I did witness some guests who were a bit full of themselves, and in some cases, a bit obnoxious. I wonder if some of these types are ones who write poor reviews. Perhaps not, just saying.....
Finally, I have to say the wonderful dining experience couldn't even happen without the exceptional wait-staff and probably kitchen staff and the chef(s). The wait-staff and hosts were outstanding. We met Christian from Romania, Dawoud from Tri Lanka, a kind man from Transylvania, etc....Truly, these fine people made our dining experience.
The island is picturesque and over-all, the Bermudians were friendly and helpful. We typically travel to Mexico so this trip was quite different. We appreciated being able to leave the resort and travel all around. We would not have had anywhere near that freedom in Mexico!
All-in-all, we had a wonderful trip and would recommend this resort to anyone.
Hello to Dawoud from the Johnsons :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarjajo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just returned from 8 days stay at Grotto Bay. The location is great- we thought it was on the best part of the island. Close to the airport so you can watch planes taking off and landing but strangely no real noise from them. Do not pre book a taxi. You can get a bus from the airport- its one stop to the hotel and stops right outside bith airport and hotel. You could get a taxi from outside. 10dollars max cost. The hotel itself has a great panoramic view. The staff were average Id say. Some rude and others pleasant but not overly friendly. The bedrooms are dated and not particularly clean. A smashed glass outside our apartment sat there for 5 days prior to being cleaned up and removed. There was grime behind the bathroom door. The bathroom was modern and not bad but no storage for toiletries of your own in there. Only 7 coat hangers in the wardrobe for 2 people for an 8 day stay. That's poor. If you are on the British airways flight back to London check out is at 11am and the flight check in time is 6pm. You can pay 100 dollars for a late check out but only if no one has been allocated your room for after you leave. If so then you leave your suitcase outside the hotel on the steps for 7 hours. You are informed there are guest changing facilities for a shower etc. these were in disgusting condition. However, a plus- the rum swizzle and fruit punch were great drinks and the swizzle inn is just down the road. Hotel is 20/25 Mins on the bus from Hamilton. All in all wouldn't really recommend it here.

• Stayed July 2013
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Alicia L,

I wish to thank you for your comments and apologize for housekeeping issue experienced. Unfortunately do not know what room you stayed in so am hereby requesting you email me either your full name or room number so I may follow up with housekeeping since your claim needs to be addressed with room attendant involved since this is not the norm and we wish to make sure corrective action is taken immediately. My email address is:jpmartens@grottobay.com. Changing rooms are continuously used by guests departing late and since your flight is the last flight departing Bermuda changing room must have been used by other guests previously. I will review cleaning schedule of changing rooms in order to prevent this from happening again. We try to accommodate late check outs but as you probably know we have been running a full hotel making it very difficult to extend check outs at no charge since we have to keep staff back to clean rooms for sale that same evening.
Again, my apologies and looking forward to hearing from you so we may resolve housekeeping issue soonest.

Regards,

Georgetown MA
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Hotel is clean, staff is friendly and helpful. Food leaves much to be desired! Over priced, limited menu and mediocre. I would not recommend All Inclusive, some drinks are not included and food isn't worth the price. Several much better restaurants are within walking distance or easy to access from bus. The bus stop is at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Amy D,

Thank you for your comments. Wish to apologize for not living up to your expectations when it comes to our menu selection and quality. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Chef. Our All Inclusive package which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks excl. premium brands and bottles of wine and champagne, transportation pass which includes bus and ferry, tennis and non motorized watersports at $110.00 per person is what we believe a great value considering drinks and food in Bermuda are pricey due to importation duties and costs. Dinner at a comparable restaurant in Bermuda easily costs $100.00 per person. Our culinary team has received many compliments and awards for food quality and variety.
Having said so however, we strive to always improve and your comments are therefore very important to us.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked through BA, which allowed us to include flights, transfers, choose room type and add in all inclusive in one single transaction. On arrival we were upgraded from ocean view to ocean front, and even though we are facing the causeway and airport, background noise is minimal. I am writing this review from the poolside using the WiFi facility. My wife and I think the hotel is one of the best we have stayed in, it pays to do your research before booking.

• Stayed July 2013
Chobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked Grotto online. Not all inclusive, and no flight as part of a package. Given the online rates I was quoted I was expecting a lot, perhaps too much.

The taxi ride from airport to hotel was 5 minutes. I don't see this as an advantage, it simply means the hotel is within earshot of planes taking off and landing. There is also a long bridge with constant traffic nearby, so the steady hum of road noise in between aircraft noise was definitely unwelcome. We had the oceanfront deluxe room, a great view of the bay if your room is angled away from the airport. I wasn't so lucky, I had a view of water, airport and road. Not so nice.

The room was also ridiculously small given the room rate. Yes it is clean, and the TV was relatively new, but the WiFi didn't work and the space per person fell way short of my expectations. It was also in my opinion quite dated and needs a total makeover.

A full breakfast per person was very expensive so we stuck to the cheaper alternative of tea, coffee with croissant or toast. Bread for toast was charged per slice, so if you burnt your slice then you had to buy more.

We never bothered with evening meals. We couldn't find a published menu for the evening and didn't want to go through the embarrassment of leaving prematurely if the menu wasn't to our taste. We did try the Swizzle Inn a couple of times, but I can only eat so much tacos, pizza, burgers and fries. Short of catching a bus into Hamilton our eating options were very limited.

As for the resort. The aerial shots on the website are misleading. The amount of sand actually out of water is much less than we thought so the beach close up was disappointingly small. It was my perception of the beach size that originally led me to book this resort, so this was the biggest let down. We were also quoted $3 for a water bed/floaty. Turns out they are free to those all inclusive residents, but not to clients like myself paying website rack rates. The food offered at the poolside was also very poor, the cold hot dog was a turn off.

One of the positives of booking online is flexibility. We checked out after three long nights and moved to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. We would've moved sooner but we were forced to stay a minimum two nights and the Fairmont couldn't accommodate us until day four. What a contrast however, for a few dollars more we had a stunning room with a great Hamilton sea view and breakfast included. Fairmont also threw in $300 credit against meals ordered at any of their restaurants. We were also in Hamilton where the choice of restaurants and things to do was more to our expectations.

As to those who give this hotel 5 stars, I simply disagree with your perception of good value. I did by the way try to find an all inclusive package before booking through their website, but as a UK resident they weren't to be found. The closest I could see to all inclusive was Kuoni, but they couldn't offer me the deluxe view with breakfast combined at a sensible price.

One last point. When we checked out we asked a taxi to take us to Hamilton. His first reaction was to ask if we were going to the Fairmont. Coincidence, or are we not the first to take this action?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FHR123
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear FHR 123,

My apologies for not living up to your expectations. Our rooms are standard size, we do offer suites which are considerably larger. Wish you had seen me during your stay since I would have been more than happy to assist you with relocating you to another room or suite if available.

Regarding breakfast, we have several breakfast options available besides our Java City in which you dined. We have breakfast buffet options starting at $12.75. Dinner menus for our Hibiscus Dining Room as well as our Palm Court Dining Room and Oceanfront buffets are available in the lobby, dining room and at the Concierge desk for guest perusal.

Believe you stayed with us during a period of extreme tides resulting in an unusually small beach area during high tides.

Pleased to announce that WiFi has now been installed in all rooms and is up and running. You must have just missed installation of WiFi in room assigned to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Parish
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!