We spent a week here in early April '13. Located about 4 minutes from the Airport, Grotto Bay is situated on the hillside of Bailey's Bay in Hamilton Parish. This is not a "centrally" located hotel, but that was fine with us! The bus has pickup at the end of the driveway, Scooters are located nearby and Taxi's were plentiful. Scooters, by the way, are really only recommended for those who are used to that type of ride and are ok with driving on the left.
The rooms were neat and clean. I was even surpised they did NOT have that humid, island musty smell! Each has a slider to an outdoor seating area. First floor rooms are at ground level so you can walk out from the porch. The beds are super comfy, there's a fridge, board/iron and safe in the room. There is also a 4 cup coffee pot in the room. We brought our own coffee and filters since the coffee provided is typically lacking in flavor.
As reported in previous reviews, this is not the place for people who have trouble navigating steps. LOTS of steps. There are rooms that are closer to check-in and the restaurants/bar. And there are rooms closer to the pool and beach. Either room requires going over steps to get to the other stuff. We considered it good exercise to work off the vacation beverages!
The pool area has beach towels for guest use. There is a bar and restaurant by the pool. And the beach has two levels of seating, very calm waters and a sunken barge to snorkel over.
The food was on par with price and local options. The fish and chips were excellent! This location offers an all inclusive package, if you'd like. We did not take it as we were more interested in experiencing lots of local options. The Swizzle Inn and Bailey's Ice Cream are both in walking distance and are well worth the trip. (Rum Swizzles & the best burger in Bermuda at the Swizz, PInk Champagne Sorbet at Bailey's!) Check out Jamaica Grill if you are so inclined.
We found the location to be excellent for some excursions we could walk to: Crystal/Fantasy Caves, Blue Hole Park, Coney Island section of the rail-trail and above mentioned food/drink. It is about a $15 taxi ride to St. George and not much more to get to Hamilton. Ifyou are looking for a special dinner out, Tom Moore's Tavern is also quite close. You could walk, if it weren't for the shoes the ladies may be wearing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full service resort nestled amid 21 acres along the water's edge featuring three restaurants, two bars, water sports, dive shop, tennis facilities, cycle livery, three beaches, children's playground as well as our unique Natura Spa located in one of our Grottos. Resort features Room only, Breakfast Plan, Breakfast and Dinner Plan as well as All Inclusive Supplement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grotto Bay Beach Hotel Hamilton Parish
- Grotto Bay Bermuda
- Hotel Grotto Bay Beach
- Grotto Bay Beach Resort Bermuda
- Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa Bermuda/Hamilton Parish