Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
  • Pool
Royal Palms Hotel(Hamilton)
Dawkin's Manor(Paget Parish)
2,820 results
All reviewsall inclusive packageswizzle innall inclusive planclose to the airportthe bushibiscus roomcrystal cavesswim up barminutes from the airportsurf and turfguest servicesfeed the fishocean frontthe palm courtsmall beachwater sportsblue hole park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 23, 2013

After reading a few negative reviews I was a bit apprehensive about my upcoming stay, I'm usually a little wary of the term "resort" when traveling on business. The location is beautiful and my room was very nice. Yes the decor is a little dated but not worn or depressing; all was in good condition, clean, the bed comfortable. Special mention the bath room fixtures were all shiny and clean, nice fluffy towels. My only complaint was that the air-conditioning did not work in my room, it was warm for me during the daytime but during the week of my visit it was cool enough at night to be comfortable with my patio sliding door left fully open. It was also great to a small refrigerator and a safe. The wifi internet was a slow and weak signal in my room so I had to take my laptop to the lobby to get a good connection. The grounds are all well kept and the grotto pool was incredible. And a wow to the water and beach. I didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant but purchased some items at a little grocery store a short taxi ride away, or you can take the bus which is cheap and easy. The room also had a little coffee maker. The restaurant The Swizzle Inn is a very short walk from the hotel, fun outside seating available and not too pricy at least for Burmuda. Food is tasty burgers, fish and chips, salads etc. simple fare but well presented. Now for transportation to St. George's; the public bus is easy clean convenient and cheap $2.50 each way; buy the tokens at the hotel desk. The bus stop is right at the street driveway entrance to the hotel and it runs every 15 minutes or 30 after certain hours, I don't remember exactly. You can even take it to the airport terminal, if you travel light, which is just one stop away. I think the taxi to the airport was approximately $10. The staff at the hotel front desk though seemed a little perfunctory, not rude exactly but they definitely could work on their customer service training. For example when I enquired about a bus to St. George's the young lady answered with directions where to catch it but did not bother to tell me that she sold the tokens. I knew that they were available from the front desk by other reviews I had read but I had to ask directly if she sold them, how much, how often the bus ran etc. A well trained staff would have given me all that information with the first inquiry along with a pleasant smile. The gentleman responding to my complaint about my air conditioner not working was pleasant and stated they would look into it; immediately calling someone to check it. But there was no follow-up to see if it was ever fixed, which it wasn't. All in all I do recommend the hotel, I enjoyed my stay greatly and will consider staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AlB344
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked a four night getaway from March 6-10 leaving from Buffalo through Atlanta. At this time of year the weather is cool to warm. Coming from freezing cold temperatures in Canada this was actually a welcome change as the temperature was 17-19 Celsius all week. We knew this and packed for the conditions but the wind was strong and constant the entire time, bringing in sporadic showers that ended very quickly. During the day I could wear short sleeves and shorts but would need pants or jeans in the evening. I brought a very light jacket and it was enough. A lot of the locals I saw however were bundled up in layers, winter coats and even a few touques! I would compare the weather to the end of May in Southern Ontario. There is an arrival duty free store in the airport so if you want to buy alcohol for your stay it is extremely convenient and cheap to get it here! I chose the local Gosling’s Black Seal rum then picked up some mix, beer, milk and pastries at the gas station directly beside the Grotto Bay entrance. You will pass it on the way in. All 6 packs were 12.75 and were all good imports. Coca-Cola is 4.75 for 2 liters. If you turn to the right instead, a short walk will bring you to the famous Swizzle Inn where we ate 3 nights out of the 4. I will review that at another time. Also across the street from the gas station (look right then left!) is the entrance to Blue Hole Hill Park which is a National Park and has all kinds of caves and swimming holes if you like to explore. There were some really cool crystals in the rocks above the mangroves. This park is free and we had a lot of fun walking on and off the trails.

The resort is directly across from the airport which is super convenient but not at all a distraction when you are in your room. I only saw a few planes taking off and couldn't really hear them over the wind anyways. It would be possible to take a bus to the hotel if you have exact change (was $4 when we were there) or you could take a cab for like $10. I booked with Bee-Line ahead of time for $12 each way which was a bit more expensive but was private and waiting for us.

The grounds are beautiful and built on what feels to be a cliff as there are a lot of stairs to get from the main lobby and restaurants down to the beach but wasn't a problem at all for us and the exercise was good. There was a new hire working the front desk on arrival. She informed me that I had been upgraded but my room would be ready in 30 minutes to an hour and that we could have lunch. It was a long day of travel so I immediately went to check out the building assigned and realized it was a downgrade from the original room I booked. I went back to the lobby and talked to a different staff member who informed me that my room was ready and that I was assigned the wrong room number. A porter took our bags with us and drove in a van to our room. This one was right beside the water, on the second floor and the view was beautiful. I had read about the rooms being dated but ours must have been recently updated as there was an LCD TV mounted to the wall and the bed didn't have that floral blanket I saw in all of the pictures. The mattress was extremely soft and comfortable although more of a queen than a king. We loved the room and the fridge was quiet and cold enough to make ice. There is either an Ice Machine or Pop/Soda Machine on the first floor of each building alternating. I didn't know this until I read it in the room and then went to check it out for myself. The bathroom had a strange shower where only half of it is covered by glass, the other half exposed so you will probably get water on the floor so lay out some towels. The in-room safe has a key and held all of our big cameras and valuables. Internet access is not included but available for a fee. Instead of paying for the service we just used the free WiFi at the Swizzle Inn. The TV had a few Canadian channels including sports as well as Movie channels and a couple local stations. This was good for when there were brief showers.

The swimming pool was heated at a nice temperature while the Jacuzzi was scorching hot but soothing after swimming in the cold ocean water. The beach is short, narrow and on different levels but it felt private and the sand was great with a nice view. Due to the waves and wind I wasn't able to see anything while snorkeling but there was a wreck visible from the shore about 50 feet out or less, but all I could see was a shadow. I think I was the only person to swim off the beach all week but a few were trying to sunbathe on the chairs. The best parts of this resort though are the caves on-site. One was always locked and only available if you are getting a massage in it. I read that it is prettier than the open cave but who knows. We did snorkel and swim in the cave water. It was slightly warmer than the ocean but still kind of cold. I never could adjust but my body heat really affected the water clarity which was otherwise crystal clear. The cave was pretty big and we felt like we were happy with the one we had and didn't want to pay the money to see Crystal Caves which is about a 15 minute walk from the resort just down the street from the intersection at the Swizzle Inn.

For breakfast we brought a variety pack of cereal with us and used the milk from the grocery store along with the muffins and pastries we bought there. The buffet in the restaurant at the resort was $22 or you could order a la carte. At lunch they had a special winter buffet price of only $14 per person so we took advantage of this whenever we were around. One day they had lamp which was amazing and another day some too-dry pork chops. Mahi-Mahi both days in different styles. I loved all of the choices and everything tasted delicious! While in Hamilton we ate at the Pickled Onion for lunch one day and 2 pasta dishes and 2 drinks cost us $70 with tip (included automatically at most places but still need to add a little extra) which was more expensive than the same order back home but the view from the upper level patio and the food made up for that. I had a local white wheat beer that I highly recommend. I forget the brand name but I believe it is the only one on the island. We bought a 24 hour bus pass each from the front desk at Grotto Bay and managed to see Fort. St. Catherine ,St. George, downtown Hamilton and Horseshoe Bay Beach on the southern side and loved it all. If you are into photography there is a lot to take pictures of everywhere you look. I don’t remember ever waiting for more than 10 minutes anywhere for a bus and found them to be very reliable and safe. Researching for the trip I imagined renting mopeds and touring around the island but I am too large and the roads would have intimidated me anyways! We only had dinner once at Grotto Bay. The main restaurant was only open for a buffet that I believe was $69 each so we just ordered from the Palms restaurant next to it and had a decent steak and some drinks. This turned out to be entertaining as the drinks flowed and a piano player came in to sing and play any requests and got some of the older folks up dancing.

There were only a few flaws that prevent me from giving a 5 star rating. I realize this is winter and the low season so I can’t fault the resort for not opening all restaurants and services and that is fine. But the pool was never cleaned, I had to replace a grate on the bottom of the deep end and there was a powered light hanging from its socket under the water in the shallow end which didn't seem safe and was never fixed. The door to each room has double pane glass with blinds in between which lets a lot of light in, early in the morning. I don’t understand the design and had to put a towel up to try and conceal that early morning glow. Almost half of the seating in the main lobby had ripped upholstery and needs to be replaced as that is the first thing that you see! WiFi or wired internet should be free at a resort. The manager was always available, engaging and polite which was nice. The all-inclusive plan would have cost us a lot more money than what we paid but is convenient for great tasting food and drinks if you plan on eating all of your meals at the resort. At the time this would have cost $99 each. Bermuda is a beautiful country but I feel like I have now been-there-done-that. I would recommend if for a visit but it would be a lot warmer in the summer months. It was nice having the resort to ourselves most of the time, at least it felt that way anyways.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view of the water but those closer to the pool and beach will have more stairs to climb up and down. The fridge makes ice but you have to turn the temp down.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SteelcityHammer
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I would call it a 5*”

Reviewed 30 January 2013

people found this review helpful

We went to Bermuda last week and the weather was'nt on our side but this hotel saved our vacation. We had bought the all inclusive plan and it made everthing soooo easy. It was money well spent and they truly honor the 'all-inclusive' feature, down to the free bus/ferry pass.
The staff is exeptionnaly friendly and courtieous. The ameneties are great. We enjoyed the hot tub and the heated pool a few times. The meals were incredible, such high quality and variety.
Loved everthing about this hotel, will certainly go back later in the season for warmer temperatures.

Room Tip: Room Tip: In the 500, top of the hill, nice view. Stay away from the 200 if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carole.y.gauthier
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Back from Grotto Bay for the 3rd time. I have never stayed anywhere that could even compare. The place is immaculate, the pool area and hot tub are great, the caves are a sight to see and the staff is fantistic: every single person who works there! There is one gentlerman, E-Michael who makes the place seem like a palace, if Bermuda had a king, it would be him. Besides Grotto Bay being the cream de la creme, it is also a 2 minute taxi ride from the airport, As soon as you clear immigration / customs, you are there in 2 minutes.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Pittony
Reviewed March 17, 2013

For a 3 night getaway we chose Grotto Bay. From the moment we stepped in until we checked out, we felt like royalty. Our room was spotless, our view amazing, the bed extremely comfortable and the bathroom was great. The swim-in grotto is breathtaking and romantic. The beach is absolutely stunning with clear water and a ship wreck you can swim out to. The pool is warm like a bath so no matter the temperature, you are guaranteed a great swim! I have been all over the world and this resort tops any I have stayed at. I cannot wait to go back! The hotel is conveniently located near St George's and 2 min from the airport. We bought a 3 day bus pass and it was the best money we spent- it also covers the ferries. Hamilton is 30 min away by bus but we stayed the whole day and took a ferry to Dockyards. We opted out of the all inclusive as we wanted to try the island's food, however many restaurants close between lunch and dinner and we were left hungry so next time I would purchase all Inclusive. Crystal Caves is a 7 min walk down the road and I recommend having breakfast or lunch at Cafe Ole right there as well. If you choose Grotto Bay, you can't go wrong!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple