“Cool cave, but the thrill stops there.”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Grotto Bay Beach Resort has a really great thing going for it - a cave on there property. That was definitely an amenity that I had never seen and really appreciated. You can swim in the cave which is both creepy and fun at the same time. The thing is, you don't have to stay at Grotto Bay to go to the cave, so you're better off staying somewhere nicer and visiting Grotto Bay to check out the cave.

Our room at Grotto Bay had a small but nicely renovated bathroom. Water gets everywhere when you're showering because there isn't a shower curtain, just a half glass wall. They don't provide conditioner, only shampoo - so make sure to pack your own if you stay there.

The hotel room itself was in need of updating. The bedspreads reminded me of the 1980s, and the TV looked like it was about a 19 in box that was a good 15 years old. Luckily we were in Bermuda and didn't have a need for the TV.

Our room did have a refrigerator, which came in handy. Unfortunately there's not a grocery store anywhere close, so we only stored water that we'd gotten across the street at what we referred to as the Costco of Bermuda.

We ate lunch at the pool restaurant once. It was overpriced and not very good. The only other food option that is within walking distance is the Swizzle Inn. Once you go once you'll probably never want to go back. It's definitely bar food.

If you walk out of the resort and go to the left and cross the street at the gas station you'll find an amazing trail. We did the hike twice and took all of the paths off the main trail and were amazed by all the caves. It's a definite must while you're in Bermuda.

All of the nice Bermuda beaches are a long cab or moped ride away. Grotto Bay is right next to the airport. I'd recommend staying on a different part of the island, where you have access to the nicer beaches.

2  Thank travelingtarheel85
JP M, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. Pleased to announce that all new bed linens were installed in all Ocean Front Rooms this past week. All new flat screen 40"TV's have been purchased, awaiting arrival.

There are newer reviews for Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I LOVED everything about it!!!! Smaller, quaint and charming. Wonderful staff. Awesome food, gardens, beach. I can't WAIT to go back!!!!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I spent four days at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort from Oct. 18-21st and can't say enough wonderful things about it!!! It was a girls trip with three close friends none of us having stayed there before. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a smaller resort with a charm unlike anywhere I've been. The rooms were clean and well appointed with a bar fridge for snacks and cold drinks and recently renovated beautiful bathrooms; the food was WONDERFUL. We opted for the all-inclusive package which is WELL WORTH the cost...and that's an understatement. The pool is lovely, pool side grill awesome and the beach while not too big, was incredible. There's a cave for swimming, fish feeding twice daily which was fun to watch....I could go on and on but think readers will get my jist. The resort is literally TWO minutes from the airport, but you hear no planes to speak of...we just enjoyed the fact that once we landed, we were minutes from sea, sun and relaxation.. For me, I think the staff at the resort is what MADE the trip!! Every single person we spoke with was lovely....warm, friendly, polite...I've never been to a place with such INCREDIBLE staff. Thanks to Emichael, Veronica, Duane, Wayne, Wendell, Arizia (I'm not sure of the spelling, but she checked us in at the front desk), Raymond...all the beautiful housekeeping staff members...I can't remember everyone's name, but there wasn't one that I dealt with that didn't make me feel like a valued guest so my sincere thank you to every staff member there, for making my first trip to Bermuda the best trip I've ever taken....I've fallen in love with your island and it's people, and don't know that I'll ever want to go anywhere else for a beach resort holiday. .. I will DEFINITELY return to this resort and am already planning my next trip there for May 2013 with my husband. October is off season, but the temperatures were perfect and the ocean probably somewhere in the mid 70's which is what I enjoy...warm but refreshing. Oct. is a quieter time at the resort which was great for a 'girls' trip but understand it's hopping in the summertime and is a great family resort. I'd encourage anyone that's considering Bermuda to check out the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We did not take advantage of room service or spa services. I'd choose the Smith building (yellow...
5  Thank Karen C
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I spent my final 5 days in Bermuda at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. We arrived on the day hurricane Rafael passed by the islands so the beach and views were not at their best. Once the sun returned we were greeted by turquoise water and a sandy beach. The airport is close by, but you don't really hear the planes - it's not Heathrow or JFK after all. If you are looking for a large beach then this is not the place for you. At high tide it is a small strip, but it is enough to have a lounger and some personal space. Kids can't really play ball games unless in the water though.

The hotel has its own mini crystal cave complete with stalactites and a swimable cave pool, which was great.

The room was clean and functional. We had a balcony with a sea view and were regularly greeted by the chickens that freely roam the grounds. I was slightly disappointed by the tv channel choice and I always find it ridiculous how much hotels want to charge for Wifi, especially as you can always find one for free!

The hotel staff, particularly the bell boys, were very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice. I never ate in the restaurant as the Swizzle Inn was down the road.

3  Thank Cruziana
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Once again our family of 6, went to Grotto Bay on our yearly trip... The weather was great and the grounds are beautiful. We had so much fun and the surroundings are breath taking... Special Kudos go to the staff at Grotto Bay as they are truly one of a kind and spectacular. There are many "gold stars" and they are so friendly and almost all of them recongnized our family from the previous year and made us feel at home. I beleive the reviews you read about staff being impolite or rude or simply unfriendly, is because these reviews are coming from people who cannot possibly be friendly themselves.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank familytravelerOttawa
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked Grotto Bay for a number of guests and family for a wedding. The hotel is very tired. Needs paint, rugs worn, pool chipped, just not clean. And most of our guests were plagued with ants in their rooms every day. Staff were very friendly, nice and warm. Food in the restaurant was good. For the price they should have wifi in the rooms or at least free in the lobby. Would not recommend.

2  Thank wanderingirl52
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

My apologies for the inconveniences caused you and thank you for your comments. Pleased to inform you that our maintenance department and subcontactors just commenced painting interior as well as exteriors of all buildings after a very busy past 8 months. We will further undertake repairs to pool. New rugs are due to be delivered next month. Regarding ants; they are Bermuda's worst pest and attracted to anything with sugar in it. Please be assured that we have a reputable pest control company in our employ. Your comment regarding cleanliness is taken seriously and has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I just got back from Grotto Bay a few days ago and had a great time with our friends. The weather was terrible, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We have all been to Grotto Bay a few times before, and the service was always great, but we found it to be even better this time. They have since added a coffee/continental breakfast bar at Rum Runner's which we had suggested on one of our visits, since some of us eat very light in the morning. They have also opened up the Rum Runner lounge for a more casual (but delicious) dinner. The rates were low due to it being off season. They have 2 caves on the property. We swam in one (very refreshing) and us girls had a spa massage in the other cave. It was unforgetable. The beach is small, but calm, and the bus stops at the end of their driveway. There is also a path from the front of the building that leads to the famous Swizzle Inn. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are close to the pool and beach, but more of a walk up to the restaurants and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!