“Honeymoon Trip!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Prairie Village, Kansas, United States
“Honeymoon Trip!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My new husband and I recently had our honeymoon at Grotto Bay Beach Resort in Hamilton Parish Bermuda.

When making our choice, my husband suggested Hawaii. He had been, I had not. So...I was at the point of booking our Hawaii vacation when I came to the last button which was offering discounts on different activities. The resort alone was over $3500 with airfare and of course, there are no all inclusive resorts there, but each activity seemed to cost over $150 per person.
So..I told him it was just way too expensive, PLUS, from the midwest, I didn't want the long flight, it was then, he suggested Bermuda.

He had been to Bermuda before and said they had the prettiest water AND the prettiest beaches, just not as many.

I did my research and decided I wanted to do all inclusive and found the Grotto Bay Resort, the only all inclusive resort in Bermuda.

Now, some more fortunate entitled people may not like this place...there was one woman there with 5 children who said she was never coming back, they stayed at the Princess in Hamilton before and it was not that much more expensive. I asked if she did all inclusive and she said no she couldn't do that with 5 children. I told her I did it years ago with my 4 children in Mexico and there are always deals, which of course she never looked into. The best part of my visit with this well entitled woman, was when she told me, "Don't even THINK of going into St George! We were so disappointed!"

So...I told my husband about my conversation with this lady and the next day we decided to go into St George.

St George was WONDERFUL! We took the bus (which is so convenient and the stop is right outside the resort), and when we got there we took this great $10 per person $40 per group horse and buggy ride around St George...it lasted about 30 mins and was well worth it...we then had lunch outside at this charming place, bought perfume at the famous "Bermuda Perfumery" and then took the bus home.

The beach and pool at Grotto Bay is small, but I can't tell you...there is just something about it...it's got good energy all around it and everyone...except for ONE of the female front desk clerks, was nice, helpful, and friendly.

If you ABSOLUTELY don't want kids where you go....you may want to choose an all adult place. We were fine with the kids, and every child there was on their best behavior. Most all resorts seem to gear towards families.

Our best secret is to take the bus to Horseshoe Bay. Get off the bus and walk to the bay. When you get there take a left and keep walking past all the crowd and look for a path. Take this path and keep walking until you get to the second or third beach. Each beach gets a bit more beautiful and a bit more secluded...You'll see what I mean.....there are no amenities there.....do some relaxing, praying, meditations?

I will leave you with this....find a man at the resort named E.Michael Jones. He works at the resort and was a former mayor of St George. We loved visiting with him and have become friends.

Oh, make sure you book a couples' massage at the spa cave!

I hope this review helped you!

Room Tip: We didn't request a certain room, but were very pleased...we stayed in room 614. Not a long walk...
6 Thank Carole M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Bermuda. On the first 2 visits, we arrived by cruise ship. This time we decided to fly & stay in a hotel. We were prepared for the cost because we knew how expensive Bermuda was, but we love this island! We chose Grotto Bay after reading many reviews and were happy with our choice. Good value for Bermuda. The previous reviews have done a great job of describing the hotel. The all inclusive, however, was the one thing I was still unsure about. We arrived late in the afternoon and when I inquired about adding the all inclusive at check in, I was told it starts at a lunch and ends with a breakfast so I could add after breakfast the next day. I think this was a blessing in disguise because we changed our mind and decided we would just do ala carte so we wouldn't feel "stuck" with eating at the hotel and trying to make the dining time frames. We were so glad we made this decision and spent about the same amount as if we had done all inclusive. We had breakfast twice at the resort (+-$23 per person buffet style/no charge for our 4 yr old) and we had dinner once at the resort (The Palms, +-$100 for the 3 of us). Had we been at the resort as a couple, we might have done the all inclusive just to help cover drinks and activities, but since we were busy with our son we didn't spend much time sitting at the bar. Food at the resort kind of reminded me of food on a cruise ship if that makes sense. There is a gas station (+-5 min walk from the hotel) where we went for coffee, yummy portuguese pastries, adult bevs, waters and snacks. There is a fridge in the room and although we didn't spend much time there, it was a short walk from the pool/beach to go back to our room for drinks/snacks. We bought a bus/ferry pass at the front desk and spent alot of time riding around the island exploring. Zoo/aquarium was not large, but had some interesting animals I've never seen up close before. The famous Swizzle Inn is a +-5 min walk from resort and we ate quite a few lunches/dinners there and all were good. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I sent an email the day of our departure requesting two beds since there were three of us. This was...
6 Thank mtandhpd
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Thank you Trip Advisor. We picked Grotto Bay based on traveler reviews and we were not disappointed. Three generations of our family (ranging in age from 4 to 76) spent 5 nights in August at Grotto Bay and there was something for everyone. Every employee, from the front desk staff, to housekeeping, to the concierge went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and accommodate our large group. The all-inclusive plan is ABSOLUTELY the way to go. In addition to meals, drinks, and alcohol, it also covered snorkeling gear, paddleboards, sailboats, bus passes for use all across the island, and a reduced rate for the giant waterslide ($5 per person per day for all-inclusive, $10 otherwise). Be sure to check out the caves on the hotel property - very cool. The hotel is located close to the airport...but....it is a non-issue. The hotel is situated in a way that you aren't looking in the direction of the airport, and you see/hear maybe a few planes a day from a distance. They don't fly over the hotel and we hardly knew they were there. We had the ocean-front rooms, (rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors, #s 120, 121, 122, 125, 131, and 132). The rooms were very convenient because they are the closest to the pool and beach, so offered easy access. The property is located on a hill, but if my 76 year old father could walk to the top of the hill each day for breakfast and dinner which are offered in the main building (lunch is available poolside), then anyone can do it. The hotel staff is also more than willing to come pick you up if needed, as we did a couple of times during some brief downpours. And a final note re: the weather. When we checked the forecast before leaving the States, it called for rain every day. Turns out, showers come and go briefly, and then the sun reappears quickly. We had full time in the sun every day. A special thanks to E. Michael, Ben, June Ann, and Dawn for their outstanding service.

Room Tip: Request a room near the main building (at the top of the hill) for easy access to breakfast, tea tim...
6 Thank Lasuha
New York
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I am a repeat guest who will only stay at Grotto Bay when I visit Bermuda. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate; the rooms are clean, inviting and very comfortable. The dining rooms are comfortable and not stuffy; and the food is delicious. The management team, which includes J.P Martens and Clyde Darrell are doing everything right when it comes to Grotto Bay and their guests. June Ann and Esme at the guest service desk will help you plan a day of sightseeing or anything you want to do. E. Michael Jones is the “go to person” on anything Bermuda. He is very knowledgeable and is extremely personable and professional. He goes out of his way to help. I recommend Grotto Bay to anyone who is thinking of going to Bermuda.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank LAMB1955NewYork
Oldsmar, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2012

come to this lovely property because you can swim in their real live GROTTO. DO be aware that there is a $10 per day to use the water slide at the beach. The young men we brought were very disappointed that they weren't on an all-inclusive. This is a great location near the airport and prices are more reasonable than most anywhere else.

Room Tip: any room w/ a view
1 Thank Wanderlassie
New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at Grotto Bay for our 20th anniversary trip. We had a great time and were very happy with the all - inclusive package we booked. We had a very nice ocean view deluxe room which was very clean. The breakfasts were wonderful and the lunches were great at the pool bar. The dinners were very nice and we really enjoyed the Hibiscus Room. The rum swizzles and dark n'stormys were our favorite. We enjoyed the resort very much and especially loved the swimming cave! We had fun taking the sunfish out sailing and taking the kayaks out past the causeway to go snorkeling. We really enjoyed the included bus passes and used them frequently. The bus stop was so convenient being right at the front of the resort. The staff were wonderful, welcoming and always helpful. Well worth the trip.

6 Thank NewJerseySharon123
marblehead, ma
Reviewed August 17, 2012

E.Michael treated us with the utmost care. He went out of his way to make us happy and welcome. we have worked in hospitality all of our lives and appreciate his courtesy and professionalism. nice place to stay...especially for a quick trip to beautiful Bermuda.

6 Thank Sebasaba
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!