“Bermuda-full hotel but needs some ironing out on service”

Rosewood Tucker's Point
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We are currently staying at the hotel on a four night stay. I read all the reviews and desperately wanted to be able to prove the negative reviews wrong. I intend to rate this hotel in two parts. One for the hotel itself and one for the staff.

The hotel is perfectly constructed. The rooms are beautiful, flat screens, stand alone deep soaking tubs, nice balconies, all the amenities I have seen in Ritz Carltons. Everything is band new and well thought out. My husband and I like to be away from the "masses" and this hotel has the kind of exclusivitly and quietness that we like. There is still some parts that are under construction but we hardly noticed it.

Here are the negatives and positives of our particular stay.

I booked this hotel through the hotel website. I booked the Resort escape package which was basically $450 per night but included in that was a $100 per person resort credit which could be used for dining, golf, spa etc. So for the four days we are here we have a pool of $800 to play with.

On the morning we were scheduled to arrive, I suddenly felt the urge to call and confirm - something I don't normally do.. Good job I did. They had no record of my booking. Not a problem, said Kristen - she was able to still put the booking in and honored the rate.

Service was very mixed. We've pretty much figured out that the native Bermudians at the hotel are the ones giving us the best service. The european staff pretty much are the ones that don't seem to get it. Maid service has been hit and miss. The first day, we went to breakfast, came back and our room was already made up. We also got turn down service that night. Next day, room wasn't made up until later in the day. No turn down service that night.

Dinner at the Point was good. Was expecting overpriced food & wine. Pleasantly surprised - about on a par with a nice Dallas restaurant. Many wines for $35 a bottle. One of the waitstaff we started a conversation with was telling us a story at one point but during the story she used the F-word. Not cool and very innappropriate.

Went to eat dinner tonight at the beach club. Concierge was so helpful and even called down to get us a table and called the doorman to drive us down instead of having to wait for the half hourly tram. Unfortunately when we got down there, the Matre d' (eurpoean) told us we were not allowed eat there because we weren't dressed properly. We thought he was joking at first, we looked around the restaurant at everyone else wearing shorts etc. Aparently men have to wear a "collared" shirt. Now I could have understand if my husband had been wearing a skanky shirt but he was wearing a brand new, unworn, perfectly pressed white t-shirt with dress shorts. The maitre'd was extremely rude, did not offer to arrange transportation back up the hill, no apologies - nothing!! We started to walk back up the hill on the 25 minute walk. Fortunately a local couple who had been eating at the Mid Ocean club offered to drive us to another restaurant. Ended up eating at the Swizzle Inn - excellent food!!

The pools are nice. Several of them in the hotel. Beware of the Cabanas, I went down to the infinity pool and walked over to an empty cabana and plonked my stuff down, only to have a pool attendant ask me if I had reserved it. I said no. He said I could use it for $65 for half a day. I laughed. Only one out of the 8-10 cabanas was being used. I now know why.

Also watch out for the refills. Juice at breakfast and Iced tea at lunch. Iced tea nwas $3 for a small glass and I had two and was charged $6. Par for the course I suppose.

We are not golfers so didn't golf. I had heard that it was $600 per round. Don't know if that's true or not. Spa was overpriced so didn't use that either.

I would stay here again, but only when the wrinkles are ironed out. It's definitely nicer than the Hamilton Princess that we went for afternoon tea at. That looked like a Motel 6 in comparrison. Very tattered.

4  Thank TravellingHunter
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Tucker's Point

Reviewed June 16, 2009

Tucker’s Point Hotel is, I fear, the New Bermuda. A welcome if pricey addition to Bermuda’s offerings, this property might turn up the heat on the competition. The hotel is far more elegant and spacious than any other accommodation on the island I’ve seen, which is most of them. Upon arrival, the whole place seemed a little sterile. Staff is professional and welcoming, and a very international mix. Few Bermudians working the restaurants. Everything works, and everything sparkles.

Rooms were beyond huge, with the bathroom the size of an entire deluxe room at a place like the Reefs. Housekeeping was spotty with dirty glasses left and evening turn-down and tidying skipped 2 nights out of 4. (Not a biggie for us.) Rooms were decorated in beach cottage chic, and while the textile choices were odd – black gingham with celadon lamps, orange drapes, and mustard carpet??? – the room and bedding was extremely comfy. By my clock-thermometer, the room’s thermostat was off about 5 degrees – perhaps deliberately -- so we had to punch it down to about 67 to get cool. Lots of storage and a large fridge for the minibar with extra space which we used for our own drinks. Our room, a deluxe waterfront, had a huge patio –about 7’ x 18’ – and a gorgeous view of Castle Harbor, the causeway, and airport, though we looked over the roofs of some of the incremental ownership condos, some of which the hotel is now letting by the night, so I guess sales are slow. (No noise from airport, btw.) Note -- we did not eat at the Point, nor did we golf. Outstanding gym, though.

The mild drought has taken a toll on TPH's landscaping, and parts of the grounds look bare but will grow in eventually. The big pool has little shade at any time of day, and the adjoining dining patio is a heat stroke waiting to happen. Until their pergolas grow in, they need some canvas canopies. Interestingly, this property hasn’t any hot tubs. The smaller hotel pool gets more shade through the day, but was scarcely used. Actually, the whole hotel seemed empty but we were told the place had run at 85% occupancy since opening.

As some of the reviews note, this place runs on the strength of its beach club, which was incredible, and managed with flawless professionalism. Two more pools and a restaurant and bar down there. The beach shuttle was prompt and the drive lovely. Lots of umbrellas, chairs, shade, showers. Beach was immaculate and never felt crowded. Good, basic food which was no more pricey than other Bermuda locations. Warning – the south shore surf was rough with a few jellyfish and mild rip currents even on a moderately clear day. Not a place to let the kids out of sight. But they compensate with a really nice kiddie pool. Most of the guests looked to be middle to upper-middle class couples from New York and New Jersey. We missed the usual Brits and smattering of Europeans.

On balance, we would return to TPH if the price was right. But for the same rates, you can go to the Reefs and several other properties with breakfast and dinner included, and get more of the feel of “old Bermuda,” -- or at least what is left of it. We went on TPH’s opening discount rate – about 40% off -- and stayed four nights. Nonetheless, after paying for airfare, cabs, and dining, we could have easily gone to Paris for a week in a rental flat, or taken a high-end Caribbean cruise, so if money matters, weigh your options carefully with this one.

5  Thank MizLiz
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I was just recounting to a friend of mine what a great time we had at Tuckers Point. He equally indicated he had a great time there three years ago when he and his wife played golf at the TPC course. At the end of May, I played the golf course twice, on each round I lost a few balls balls and I was still able to enjoy my rounds because of the really great views of Bermuda from almost every hole. Most of our lunches were split between the beach and outside the point restaurant by the pool. Both of these spots are very comforatable. Every night, after dinner we had a few late drink/drinks by the pool, which is a great spot on the warm Bermuda nights. On the Saturday night of our stay, we had a small dinner party at the beach bar, it is a great place to have a party and I would highly recommend that to anyone who wants to have a seperate dinner party. Besides golf, we played tennis and used the exercise room at the Hotel, which looks out towards the pool area, which was very convenient and the size of the room and the equiptment were very good, most of the Hotel's I stay at do not get this right, TPC does. Lastly, the rooms were very comforable, we did have an issue with the TV's but hey we were in Bermuda, and my wife and I and others had to many others things to do, so it was nice to not have to think about what we should be watching on TV.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We really, really wanted to like this hotel, but, ehhh, there's just something missing. The hotel looks five-star, but execution is lacking. Rather than give you a long essay, it may be better to give you a list of positives and negatives.

Before we get to the list, to the reviewer who stayed in a Harbour Court apartment: You did not stay at the Hotel if you stayed at a Harbour Court apartment. The Harbour Court development is a fractional ownership property. It is just misleading to make Trip Advisor readers think they are going to get a full kitchen if they stay at the Hotel. The rooms in the hotel do not have kitchens or other apartment-type amenities.

OK, on to the pluses and minuses:

Positives:
- Beautiful, brand spanking new hotel (looks like a Rtiz Carlton)
- Nice view, nice location (although you face the airport)
- Short, 5 to 10 minute ride from the airport
- Spa is very nice
- Landscaping is Bermuda beautiful

Negatives:
- Spread out property means you have to wait for a shuttle to take you to places like the golf club house and the beach. Shuttle is slow and doesn't run on time.
- Housekeeping is terrible and inconsistent, definitely not 5-star service (this hotel is going to age very quickly if they don't get their staff to clean the rooms more completely and thoroughly).
- The Point restaurant is overly formal with uninspired menu, and with a bit of "service with a sneer" snobbery. And yes, the wait staff is inattentive and slow.
- The Tuckers Point Hotel is very expensive without the level of service one would expect at the prices they charge.

Overall, I would not go there again and I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. They have much to improve with the running of this hotel. It is a real shame because we really wanted to love this hotel. They have so much going for them, but it all falls apart in the execution.

If you want 5-star luxury, you might want to look at Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos, or the Aman resort in T&C. If you want a Bermuda holiday, take a looks at Reefs, Pampano Beach, the Palms (basically, the top-rated hotels on Trip Advisor for Bermuda).

7  Thank ConnecticutDublinJim

Jeffrey: still no rebate on that $95 from tuckers
me: oh no!
Jeffrey: yeah
WTF
me: post that on trip advisor!
me: from when they charged us $95 dollars for a bottle of scotch that we didn't drink?
Jeffrey: and the bag of cashews from the mini bar that was eaten by some animal, that clearly, we did not eat!
me: The concierge seemed totally appalled!
Jeffrey: all 3 people we told did, and yet, they did nothing!
me: they all seemed so concerned!
Jeffrey: instead, they charged us for eating it!
me: but then again, they weren't in our room to do the turndown service anyway, which is too bad, since it's such a luxurious place! It looks like a Ritz and yet the service is just so lacking in so many little ways. Though I have to say, if anyone deserves a raise, it's Winfield!
Jeffrey: Winfield was the best! If he was running the show it would all be fine!
me: I agree. What did you think about the beach club?
Jeffrey: Well run
me: Great food, great service
Jeffrey: Agreed. They guys who run the tram are great too.
me: Love those tram guys! which is good, because it's a 10 minute ride from the hotel to the beach club, with stops along the way at the golf course and residences.
Jeffrey: But the concierge - couldn't care less!
me: All talk, no action
Jeffrey: None. And I am really upset that I was overcharged by almost $100 for room service.
me: Which was ridiculously overpriced as is!
Jeffrey: That did not make my stay relaxing. Also, morning coffee that was supposed to be available every day in the library sometimes wasn’t. No rhyme or reason to that
me: sometimes there's coffee, sometimes there isn't! Just like the make up and turn down service!
Jeffrey: and you can’t get coffee in the little store. Or suntan lotion. Or really anything of any use
me: Also, remember when we had 2 bathrobes, then they took one away, then they gave us 2 back so we ended up with 3? That was so random.
Jeffrey: bizarre. And the the grass in the front courtyard looks nothing like the photos. Sorry folks!
me: All the grass was burned out. Which isn’t their fault—there was apparently a draught, but still, it didn’t help the still-under-construction ambiance.
Me: The Point as well--not up to par. For their nicest restaurant, it wasn't such a great experience
Jeffrey: its great if the food is not "the point" ZING!
me: ha! Maybe we're just snobby New Yorkers? But the food was nothing special at all. And we had to beg to get our wine glasses refilled!
Jeffrey: and they didn’t give us the rest of our bottle of wine that we bought
me: true! Great dessert though!
Jeffrey: The bar food was better. Good burger, great fries, nice salad
Me: the fries were amazing
Jeffrey: also - $35 to get from the airport to the hotel... Ha! Don't fall for that
its $15. Next time we’ll hail a cab, like anyone else. It will actually be quicker.
me: ah well. It wasn't all negative!
Jeffrey: nice beach
me: the beach was gorgeous, the room was huge and luxurious
Jeffrey: some people were nice
me: especially Winfield!
me: And the pools are all great
Jeffrey: oh nice pools. Pool side servers were really nice.
me: it will look a lot better though, once all of the construction is over. There's a lot of construction noise still
me: I'd give this place a year to get its act together
Jeffrey: oh yeah... YOU CAN HEAR THE CONSTRUCTION FROM YOUR ROOM!
me: maybe by next summer it will be a little more polished? it'll have to be, because then the rooms will be full price--over $500 a night.
Jeffrey: I just checked... our room is $590 next weekend per night
me: my fingers are crossed that you'll get your refund
Jeffrey: I'm not counting on it
me: me either. Fairmont next time?
Jeffrey: we'll see... Maybe a nice apology from Tuckers could get us back.
Like... thanks for being beta testers for our hotel. OH--and don’t forget--at checkout when we brought up the animal problem in our room AGAIN, they couldn’t have cared less. “Have a free breakfast on us”...NOPE “complimentary cocktail?”... NOPE. Sorry? eh. NOPE
me: ah well. I still love Bermuda!
Jeffrey: Me too.

#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Rosewood Tucker's Point? Share your experiences!