“Landmark status”
Review of Swizzle Inn

Swizzle Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a pricey little tourist trap that shouldn't be this good but it is. I have tried the Bermuda fish chowder in three places and the Swizzle's version is by far the best. I have had their fish sandwich and it is a sizable portion and tasty. I didn't care for the crust on the pizza, it was too "cracker-y" but the toppings were fresh. The atmosphere is shabby-chic and pub like with some welcome outdoor seating on both floors. The swizzles can be purchased in pitchers and are a lot of money for what you get. There's a buzz in there somewhere amongst all of that ice. Another favorite is the Dark and Stormy's which I finally learned to stay away from after three visits to the island. They're about the only thing on earth that always gives me heartburn. The staff is well trained and service is quick. There is a gift shop full of Swizzle souvenirs. It's a "must stop" when visiting the island but be prepared to spend $100 a couple of lunch and drinks. I'm checking off "scenic view" although it's not typical. Basically it overlooks a busy intersection and bus stop where one can people watch from the upper deck. It's fascinating.

1  Thank Sherlockzz

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have visited the Swizzle Inn twice in the last 13 months. Once with a friend and then with 2 daughters and a son-in-law. Personally for me no trip to Bermuda would be complete without a stop here ( there is a newer Swizzle Inn in Warwick on the South Shore - went there, too but this one is the original). There 'might' be comparable swizzle in Bermuda - but I cannot tell you where? This reported mix of 2 rums, fruit juices, bitters, triple sec is simply delicious!

While the bldg. itself is nothing special, the food was excellent tasting and 'reasonably' priced, in my opinion, and you get plenty. The ambiance is wonderful and welcoming, a true 'pub' feeling (we went in the afternoon both times). and you can sit inside or outside. *It is family oriented, at least during the day hours - lots of children when we stopped.* It has a rather nice gift shop, and there are facilities. The service was fine, the staff cheerful, helpful, and pleasant. Took the bus once, a scooter the last visit ( if you 'overindulge' the staff will forewarn you about the swizzle - further if you're on a scooter, you can leave it if need be and take the bus or a cab back to the ship or wherever - driving intoxicated is not permitted and the staff were real good about asking how we got there, and suggesting that we 'split' the large swizzle(s) that we purchased :-) They will be quite insistent that you not hop back on a scooter if you 'overindulge.' They can pack a punch so do go easy. We appreciated the concern and the advice...btw, if you purchase the infamous 28oz. swizzle, you get a brand new one (container) as a souvenir to take home.

The original Swizzle Inn is considered a landmark and is essentially a 2 minute walk from the Crystal Caves. It is Bermuda's oldest operating pub, since 1932, I was told. It is family owned for about 50 years now, I believe. If you're going towards the eastern end ( and who isn't)? of the island to St. George, Fort St. Catherine, the Caves, Tobacco Bay - this would be an ideal stop on the way back. It is also customary to leave a business card or carve your name or scribble it on the walls - well, almost anywhere :-) While not a 'must do' nor 'must see' I would very highly recommend a stop...lots of fun, relaxing, good drink and food. I plan another stop in 10-2013. 'Swizzle Inn - Swagger Out' as the saying goes..........................enjoy!

2  Thank Raymond C
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Went 2 times there in the past 18 months, great food, great drink :-) , good service, great ambiance. First time we sat outside on the second floor, nice view of the road with a nice smell of the exhaust from the cars riding soooo close to the building... but hey, thats Bermuda ! Second time we ate inside on the first floor, food is a little expensive... but hey, thats Bermuda !

I will probably skip the swizzle inn next trip.... Unless... I have newbies with me, then I will have to show them a piece of " history" and bring them !

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Been to the swizzle several times on this holiday. Great atmosphere, good choice of drinks an plentiful food portions. If you like a pub to be a pub, this is it.

1  Thank Pete W
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Swizzle Inn is the host of the official cocktail of Bermuda! The rum swizzle is a beautiful concoction. You must try it. The food is also astonishingly good!

1  Thank Kurto125