“A Truly Wonderful Evening”
Review of Tom Moore's Tavern

Tom Moore's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Tom Moore's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Trappe
“A Truly Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at the Tavern to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. It was perfect. Fabulous food, a great bottle of Brunello (they have a huge and impressive wine cellar), attentive but not obtrusive service in an old house built in 1653, I think. It feels like being in an excellent restaurant in Switzerland.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Irene S

Bermuda
“A taste of Bermuda the way it used to be”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The property is hundreds of years old and quite isolated in the Walsingham 'jungle' at the shore of Castle Harbour. It hasn't really changed in a very long time and I'm glad. We had a lovely dinner out on the pier in the lagoon, under the stars. It was a beautiful, moonlit evening. The steel pan played in the background and you could hear the waves lapping the shore. The dinner was delicious and service was great. Being able to get a creative 3-course vegetarian meal on such a busy night was much appreciated. We paid $55 pp in total. Incredible. Little Tom Moore's was able to produce amazing meals for over 100 of us who were attending a charitable function whilst continuing with regular service in the main building. They offered chicken, NY steak or snapper for main courses--generous portions, beautifully presented and served at the tables. We noticed that the plates were going back all but licked clean! Bruno, the owner was not just on hand, he jumped in to bar-tend and relieve his staff. We hadn't been back to Tom Moore's Tavern for many years--so glad we went!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank marliepowell
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Valentines”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Tom Moore's is quaint the food is delicious and the service is great, we love going there for valentines. We have never been there to eat other than valentines my favorite restaurant for that occassion.

2 Thank cherriken
Philadelphia PA USA
“Tom Moores-A dining experience!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

About 30 minutes from town (and very much worth the trip), you will enter a long hedge-lined driveway and then you’ll see this historic, quaint restaurant! The outdoor and indoor ambience is like taking a ride backwards on a Jules Verne time machine! However, that’s where the Old World stops! The menu preparation and presentation and the service is of the New World, and it is impeccable. I visit Tom Moore’s each time I’m in Bermuda. I wouldn’t miss it!

Joyce M. Philadelphia PA

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank JMMTravelerPHIL
Baltimore, Maryland
“5 Stars? Really?”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our walk to to Tom Moore's Tavern was the best part of this visit. We took a back path through a park across the road from Grotto Bay Beach Resort and it was incredibly charming; we came across several Bermudians who were friendly and made our short walk enjoyable. We made reservations for dinner on July 11 and arrived a little before 6:30pm. Another couple also arrived at this time. The restaurant opens at 6:30pm for dinner. We were seated immediately and right next to the other couple then asked what we wanted to drink without being given a beverage or wine list. I should mention that we are in our 50s and well traveled. The decor is a bit musty and does need to be cleaned of cobwebs and dust. But it was how we were treated that causes me to write this unfavorable review and most likely will keep me from coming back. Particularly when I read some of these glowing reviews; it is like we were in two different places for dinner even on 11 July. The staff seemed unprepared for work that evening; we had two waiters, one older, one younger and neither were friendly and completely disinterested in whether or not we had a pleasant dining experience. We ordered a glass of champagne each and got a roll of the eye and a loud sigh. Right away that set the tone. We ordered appetizers; I ordered the rice coated calamari which sounded delicious as it would come with a roasted tomato sauce; husband ordered the 3 scallops done 3 different ways. The appetizers arrived and the waiters disappeared. The scallops were a beautiful presentation. And from what husband says, tasted very good. The calamari on the other hand was thrown into a big bowl with sauce coating the bottom of the bowl. It was tough, rubbery, overcooked and had the taste of burnt cooking oil. I couldn't eat it. I sat there for 20 minutes not eating this; yes I timed it. No one came by to see if everything was okay; the waiters were preoccupied with setting up two tables in this room for a party of 12 that would arrive an hour later and argued amongst themselves loud enough for us to hear. This audible display made it seem like we were in a cafeteria rather than a fine dining establishment. Finally the younger of the two waiters arrived to take the plates away and he never asked me what was wrong or why I didn't eat the dish; because he didn't ask I went ahead and told him the calamari were tough and overcooked and to take them off my bill. He took the plates away, came back and said the chef says there is nothing wrong with the calamari and maybe I am not used to the rice coating and I should order something else. I was insulted with his remark and politely told him so and stated that it was now too late to order another appetizer because he had 20 minutes and more to come and see if things were okay and he didn't do it. And its not like I haven't eaten calamari before. I know the tastes of burnt and rubbery. Just admit that you didn't soak the calamari to make it tender and that you didn't pay attention while cooking. Don't argue with your customers! I would have been embarrassed to serve this. Our entrees then arrived; they were very good. I ordered the country french chicken and husband ordered the veal loin and sausage. Presentation was lovely. But again, no one ever came by to check on our dinner and whether or not everything was okay. When it was time for dessert we asked for a recommendation but waiter just shrugged and said they are all good. So we ordered the crepes suzette. I have had this many times so I knew what to expect. This is a dessert that is prepared in front of the table on a gas flame and is supposed to engage the diners as it is kind of a show. Our waiter was so nervous and so disinterested in what he was doing it was a real let down. He kept looking over his shoulder the whole time, rolling his eyes and couldn't be bothered. He was also a safety risk; after mixing the liqueurs in the pan he left the pan alone on the table and the flame was very high; he left an open flame alone to get pre-made crepes. The other waiters were pushing the little cart around while this flame was high bumping in to it and I kept waiting for the pan to fall and cause a fire. Waiter came back, finished his task, no fanfare, plopped (yes plopped) our plates in front of us and left. Again no one ever asked us how we enjoyed it or anything. We ate it and it was mediocre at best. A 200 dollar plus bill and we had a wasted evening and a waste of money. I truly am a quiet diner; I don't make a scene and certainly don't look for the worst in any situation. I have spent way more money than this and way less and have had better service and food than what we experienced. That said, Tom Moore Tavern here are some recommendations: 1. Don't argue with your customers 2. Be attentive to all who walk in to your business 3. Dishes should all have the same level of quality; not hit or miss. And 4. Waitstaff should be well versed in preparation and taste of the dishes presented on the menu and availability (I overheard a waiter tell a customer he had to check and see if an item was available)

• Visited July 2012