“Needs a little work”
Review of The Colonsay

The Colonsay
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Colonsay Hotel for one night. First impressions of this hotel are that it's quaint and olde worlde, but it soon becomes clear that it's actually tired and needs attention. The very pleasant lady who checked us in explained that the shower in our room was broken, and they were awaiting parts from the mainland (logistics here must be a nightmare), but we could use the shower in a nearby unoccupied room. I had a shower, and I had three options with the water - a scalding hot dribble, a lukewarm dribble, or a stone cold shower at normal pressure. I then nearly fell, as there was no slip mat.
Meals at Colonsay Hotel. Evening meal – we sat down at 7.30, but nobody took our order until 7.45. Although the food was very good, the service was abysmally slow. We eventually got dessert just after 9.30. By contrast, the service in the hotel’s bar was excellent. Breakfast the following morning – service was slightly better than last night, but the food quality was poor, and the waitress left a lot to be desired; this is pretty verbatim;
“Do you want a cooked breakfast?”
“Yes please, what’s available?”
“Oh, the usual stuff, egg, beans, sausage, tomato.”
“Okay, I’ll have that, then”.
What I actually got was fried egg, sausage, bacon, tomato, mushrooms (to which I’m allergic) and black pudding (which I loathe). The sausage and bacon were really cheap catering versions, and the whole thing was swimming in grease. Hard to believe this was from the same kitchen that had produced a high quality (albeit slow) meal the previous evening.
Altogether, the Colonsay Hotel was a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Samthetax
JMH873, Owner at The Colonsay, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

I am so sorry you had a poor experience on Tuesday 2nd April. Unfortunately our chef had a serious accident and was not able to work that day/evening and our assistant chef had only just arrived to work in the hotel (as it was the start of the season) and it coincided with our first busy night! We would be delighted to give you a complimentary dinner when you are next on the island to show you that our chef can produce delicious food and that your experience was due to extraordinary circumstances.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Colonsay Hotel. It was a bit of an adventure for me, to come all this way just following a memory of an article read thirty years ago, but I had a great time.
My room was the smallest of the hotel (and my own bathroom was along the corridor and suffered some hiccups), but the hotel had everything I needed: nice communal rooms (with wifi), fireplaces, lovely atmosphere and very helpful staff.
The bar gets lively in the evening, but in the afternoon it was a quiet place to watch a bit of the Open (try the local beer !)
The restaurant had an excellent menu: I will have fond memories of the pan seared scallops, of the amazing honey ice cream and of the oysters (which I learned to savour with a drop of tabasco sauce from a fellow guest).
In general, the hotel is an ideal place to meet the most amazing people - at least this is what happened to me in my five day stay. I loved every minute of it - even when it rained.

Room Tip: Go for the double !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Absolutely fabby, booked late so our room was small but absolutely adequate, mattress tired and advised it be dumped but room spotless and linen luxurious . Quaint chique feel to the whole hotel, modern but with a lovely traditional feel. Staff wonderful, food to die for, coeliac diet understood exceptionally well,Food fantastic, fresh , well presented waiter superb. Bar a good mix of locals and visitors all getting on together. All guests relaxed and friendly, hotel had this ambience of allowing instant relaxation. Loved it so much I even felt myself wondering how I could earn a living on this wonderful island. Walked all weekend even although we took the car, beaches beautiful, felt as if we were on a desert island at times, shop keepers lovely, spotted a jumper which cost £700 -would love one, I could go on and on, Get on the ferry and go see for yourself ...oh and nearly forgot sheep everywhere and a little smelly when the sun shines because of this take boots, Saw a dragon fly approx 5 inches long!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We didn't stay in the hotel as a B&B price is half the cost of a room and breakfast. Not a full Scottish breakfast mind you!! When I emailed the hotel to find this out (it is not clear on the website) it is for a continental, but you can have eggs!! They have a captive market at the hotel as you come off the ferry and the hotel is a couple of hundred yards up the hill in front of the pier. However do a bit of research as the B&B owners usually pick you up from the ferry or airport.
We chose to eat here in the evening. Didn't have a starter but chose halibut with cheddar creamed leeks. I was a bit surprised to find that it only came with the sauce, at £19, so ordered "Colonsay salad leaves" at £2.50. This was an extremely small bowl of lettuce a couple of bits of cucumber and tomato. To be fair, the halibut was delicious however I would not have wanted to be a walker coming off the hills starving and paying all that money for small portions. IOt reall should have come with some form of side. In retrospect I should have gone for the burger which looked nice and came with chips at £13. Drinks were expensive, again a victim of the captive market. Staff were very friendly and efficient. Would I go back? Not sure, but alternative is only The Pantry, which could pull up it's socks and be a worthy opponent to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ginger005
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed for four nights in mid-June in this very friendly, clean, comfortable and well kept hotel. The staff were very helpful, with good suggestions about walks and views. The rooms were well appointed and the bar had a good atmosphere. The restaurant food was good, and reasonable value, with good breakfasts, but the dinner menu only changed minimally from day to day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank FranEW
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The only hotel so our choice was limited! Very nice comfortable place with very nice staff, authentic decor and comfy room with bath (shower didn't work during our stay but we were offered the use of another room) No tv which was unusual but found this ok. We had a two night special deal otherwise a little pricey, food not the best but no other restaurant on the island.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is our sixth visit to Colonsay over a lifetime.How lucky we were with perfect weather.The hotel is just right.Friendly,relaxed and the food excellent.The very special local honey is used to make Colonsay honey ice cream.For £2.50 a scoop, nothing cold taste so wonderful!My husband was able to fish in the lovely lochs and we brought two trout home and 2 doz oysters.The freshest you will ever taste.The island was alive with bird song .We heard the Corn crake for the first time.Perhaps I should not tell everyone what a magical place it is but this is true.

Room Tip: We had the room with the pine four poster.Good bathroom but a steep step up.The room has two windows...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Port Charlotte
Port Askaig Hotel
Port Askaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port Askaig

Been to The Colonsay? Share your experiences!