We stayed at the Colonsay Hotel for one night. First impressions of this hotel are that it's quaint and olde worlde, but it soon becomes clear that it's actually tired and needs attention. The very pleasant lady who checked us in explained that the shower in our room was broken, and they were awaiting parts from the mainland (logistics here must be a nightmare), but we could use the shower in a nearby unoccupied room. I had a shower, and I had three options with the water - a scalding hot dribble, a lukewarm dribble, or a stone cold shower at normal pressure. I then nearly fell, as there was no slip mat.
Meals at Colonsay Hotel. Evening meal – we sat down at 7.30, but nobody took our order until 7.45. Although the food was very good, the service was abysmally slow. We eventually got dessert just after 9.30. By contrast, the service in the hotel’s bar was excellent. Breakfast the following morning – service was slightly better than last night, but the food quality was poor, and the waitress left a lot to be desired; this is pretty verbatim;
“Do you want a cooked breakfast?”
“Yes please, what’s available?”
“Oh, the usual stuff, egg, beans, sausage, tomato.”
“Okay, I’ll have that, then”.
What I actually got was fried egg, sausage, bacon, tomato, mushrooms (to which I’m allergic) and black pudding (which I loathe). The sausage and bacon were really cheap catering versions, and the whole thing was swimming in grease. Hard to believe this was from the same kitchen that had produced a high quality (albeit slow) meal the previous evening.
Altogether, the Colonsay Hotel was a bit of a disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delightful small hotel on idyllic island with deep sofas, log fires, lively bar with Colonsay brewed ales and relaxed restaurant using locally sourced produce with emphasis on seafood. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Colonsay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Colonsay Hotel Isle Of Colonsay
- Colonsay Isle Of
- Colonsay Hotel Isle Of
- The Colonsay Isle Of Colonsay, Scotland