“Corncrake Cottage B&B+Dinner is a Good Start to any Stay on Colonsay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corncrake Cottage B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Colonsay
Corncrake Cottage B&B
Uxbridge
“Corncrake Cottage B&B+Dinner is a Good Start to any Stay on Colonsay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

GOOD:
- Location: Corncrake Cottage is easily found, however if you miss it just ask any islander; on Colonsay every islander seems to know every other islander. In a quiet location, the B&B has excellent views of the bay. Corncrake Cottage is a good base from which to explore the island attractions.
- Welcome: I arrived on a wet day at the beginning of October. The ferry docked at Scalasaig around 5.45pm. After some meandering I arrived at Corncrake Cottage. The door was answered promptly; the room was ready, having been warmed prior to my arrival.
- Room size and view: The room in which I stayed was good-sized, light and airy with space to move despite the presence of the double bed. There was also a small sitting room annex with TV and DVD player.
- Facilities: Rooms are warm, comfortable and have partitioned en-suite rooms with shower and toilet. Sachets of coffee, tea, biscuits and milk supplied with large jug kettle. Sky TV, DVD player, hair dryer, and radio-alarm are provided. WiFi key available upon request. Books are available for guest enjoyment. Isle of Colonsay maps and guides may also be borrowed. An airing cupboard is available to dry off wet clothing and footwear.
Guests are welcome to make use of the comfortable lounge/dining area. In addition, guests are welcome to sit outside on the front lawn or garden decking/table area and enjoy the scenery.
- Maintenance: B&B is well maintained.
- Décor: Furnishings and flooring display evidence of wear and tear, but are fully functional; Corncrake Cottage is in good decorative order.
- Cleanliness: Excellent, the floors and en-suite area were cleaned every day.
- Service: Les & Rhona always seemed to be of good humour, happy to help and ready to proffer local knowledge.
- Bed & Breakfast: At £35 (single occupancy) per night mid season, I found this B&B to be reasonable value.
- Dinner: Is by prior arrangement and is comprised of 3 courses of good wholesome, home cooking.

NOT-SO-GOOD:
- Access: The short driveway from the main single-track road to Corncrake Cottage is in poor repair and despite driving slowly, I managed to ground my car in a pothole that was deeper than anticipated. Although the car did not get stuck, I discovered later on that I had broken one of the under-trays to the vehicle engine compartment.
- Privacy: Partitioning throughout Corncrake Cottage is of plasterboard; there is limited interior soundproofing.

BAD:
- Restaurant Proximity: Travellers to Colonsay have a very limited choice when it comes to eating out on the island as there are only 2 places for non-residents to eat out on the island, these are The Pantry and the Colonsay Hotel.
Last year I stayed at the Colonsay Hotel and had dinner there, however I was not satisfied with the food with which I was served, considering it to be of a low culinary standard and poor value. Regrettably, my two visits to the Colonsay Hotel during my stay at Corncrake Cottage this year (Oct’09) did nothing to dispel this opinion.
Other visitors to the island told me that they had not been impressed by The Pantry either.
Therefore my advice to those visiting Colonsay is to avoid both the Colonsay Hotel and The Pantry and to enjoy the superior home-style cooking to be had at Corncrake Cottage instead.
Reviews of the Colonsay Hotel can be found on TripAdvisor.

CONCLUSION:
I stayed 4 nights at Corncrake Cottage, the B&B is in a good location, boasting good facilities.
I enjoyed the cooking at Corncrake Cottage much more than the expensive pretentious dinners that I was served with at the Colonsay Hotel – however The Colonsay does have a good comfortable and friendly bar.

My only regret during my stay on Colonsay is that for some reason I was tempted to try dinner at the Colonsay Hotel again …

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location