“Save your money!”
Review of Escondida Resort

Escondida Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
Reviewed October 7, 2008

go somewhere where they care about you as a guest.

First It was very hard to reach anyone to make reservations, they did not return our calls after we left several messages we did finally accomplish this simple task, Once again they never called us back to make spa appointment as they promised, we again made repeated calls to get our spa appointments scheduled

We realized during our stay no one cared about as guests. We are not demanding people but expect good service, good food, and nice ammenities especially at those prices..

Upon checki n we felt like we were an inconvience to the lady working, she was very rushed she said she was going home for the day. To find anyone to help you or to ask questions while your there is difficult, not sure where the staff is.

The food was so so we expected much more. The service once again was non exsistent no one checked on us or the other guests and we finally took our own dirty dishes to the dining room after realizing no staff was available..

The resort is in need of maintenance yard care, the creek was smelly and stagnant and we would not have sat by the creek due to the smell. Pool could use some work.

The saving grace was the spa, they truly are good at what they do. If it was not for our spa services we would of considered this a total waste of our time.

Save your money and go somewhere where they care about their guests. We agree with another reviewer with proper management and staff this could be a much nicer resort. We would not return or recommend this resort to anyone.

6  Thank MDjhouston

Reviewed September 29, 2008

I just had to write to share with you how amazing our stay was at Escondida. When we were driving home, my husband and I both commented on how relaxed we were. In fact, we both agreed that we were more relaxed than we had been in years.

The scenery was beautiful; the room was huge; the bed was very comfortable; we loved the tile work all throughout the property; the spa was fabulous; - - what else can I say. Oh, don't let me forget the wonderful meals prepared by the chef. Up until Friday night, my husband swore that he did not like flat fish. The tilapia prepared by the chef has changed his mind. Oh - - and the desserts are to die for - - -

I had read some reviews that stated that there was "not anything to do" at Escondida. All I can say is that those people must have been part of the "entertain me" generation. We had a wonderful weekend relaxing and enjoying the scenery, wildlife, etc. We swam, had massages, sat by the pool and read, enjoyed the books in the hacienda, and got to spend some quality time with our son and daughter-in-law. We did make a trip on Saturday after breakfast up to the James Avery artisan village and shop, but other than that, we had plenty to do right there on the property.

Kay Tucker

Reviewed September 28, 2008

We just got home from a fabulous weekend at the Escondida Resort. Loved every minute of our stay! The grounds are lovely and our room was spacious and beautifully furnished. No cheap "hotel furniture" at the Escondida! Our room had a balcony with a beautiful view, large bathroom and dressing area, very comfortable bed and a sitting area by one of the windows with a great view. Every part of the resort we were in was spotless.
We took the short drive to Bandera and Medina in the morning and shopped a little and spent the rest of the day at Escondida. We hiked to the top of a hill/mountain on the property and enjoyed the view of the surrounding area and then sat by the creek that runs behind the resort and read for part of the afternoon. Very relaxing.
Now for the food. Dinner and breakfast were included in our room rate and every meal we had at Escondida was excellent. It was a very casual and friendly atmosphere and we visited with several of the other guests at the resort while the meals were being prepared. For our last breakfast, we sat at the counter in the kitchen and watched the chef prepare the food. We visited with the chef and the other couple sitting at the counter and had a wonderful time. When I called to confirm our reservation, I asked what kind of meals the chef usually prepared and mentioned I didn't like fish. I was very surprised when we were served dinner our first night to find that I was having chicken, even though everyone else was having fish! We got that kind of super service the entire weekend. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we were treated like the most special guests that ever visited Escondida.
We did not visit the spa but plan to do that on our next visit.
Our trip to Escondida was just what we were looking for. A pleasant, relaxing weekend with great food and service. Our trip was a gift from my husband for my 50th birthday and it may have been the best gift he has ever given me. We will definitely be returning to Escondida!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2008

This is such a beautiful property. I love just walking around it. The spa is wonderful- be sure you get a massage and a facial. It was so nice to see the management taking such an active role. The owner, Christy, went out of her way to make sure that we were having a nice stay. Don't miss it!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The website for this place is very deceiving. It is too bad as this place has great potential, but its ruined by the total lack of customer service.
We went on a girls trip and did not check TripAdvisor first--big mistake. They charge $300 a night and only have 10 rooms and they say they have the best hospitality, they don't. We arrived on Friday and after we found the office, the woman there was unfriendly and did not know anything about the "resort". She lives on the property but did not know about the hot tub and pool and could not answer basic questions! Then she told us that they ran out of calling cards. This is important because there is NO cell phone service there and the only way to call out is with a card. So after we told her that is unacceptable as we needed to check on little ones at home, she said reluctantly she could go into town and get some.
If someone at home has an emergency at night after 7:00, you are out of luck as no one answers the phone there and no one can call your room! You are on your own at night there.

We got to our rooms which were nice and large, but my mom's room did not have a phone! When she complained, she was told sorry we don't have anymore working ones! She was upset and they knew it, and within 5 minutes, she had a phone.

Dinner is included and they advertise a 3 course meal, salad, entree and dessert. We were not given a salad and served 2 hunks of meat drowned in chili pepper sauce and beans and cooked veggies. I don't eat beef so I asked for something else and was given fish with the same sauce. It was not very good and not what we expected and a spa resort, more hunting lodge food. The dessert was ok.
That night we tried to go to the hot tub and it was pitch dark except on the bridge over the stagnant stinky water. Someone did not turn on the lights. Very dangerous. We fumbled around and my sister fell off the ledge around the tub and banged up her knee pretty good. When we told the unhelpful girl at the office the next day, she knew nothing about the lights and did not seem to care that my sis could barely walk.
We saw a maintenence guy checking the water at the tub and told him about the lights. He said they were on a timer and should have been on. He spent the entire day fixing them and changing out the bulbs etc. Obviously, no one had checked them in a long time. The next night they were all on and you could see fine.

Breakfast was ok the first morning, fresh fruit would have been nice instead of biscuits and gravy. Breakfast the next morning was better. The wine they serve at dinner is box wine and the appetizers are ok.

The highlight of the trip was the spa. I had a very nice facial and massage. The people they bring in to do the services were very good. The pool is a joke and needs to be painted. The lounge chairs are not the ones in the pic on the website, they are wood with no cushions, very uncomfortable.

Dinner the next night was a little better but again no salad or bread. No candles on the table.

Then I found out that the co-owner, Christy, was there Sat. night and even came into the kitchen. But she never once greeted the guests in the dinning room.

This place could be wonderful if it was managed better and they paid attention to the little things. A place like this its all about customer service and special touches that make you feel welcome, this place does not do that. I doubt they get many repeat customers. I know we will not be back. I expected better for what they charge.

5  Thank All_InPK
clcintex, Owner at Escondida Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2008

Per the review, our website is very misleading. There is no mention of "the best hospitality" or a three course meal on our website. Per the website, dinner is the "Chef's Choice." The "hunks of meat" were black angus prime rib.

We are very clear on our confirmation letter that we do not have cell service. It is unfortunate that we ran out of calling cards but Jamie did drive 15 miles to Kerrville to obtain the cards.

The lights were not on at the pool Friday night because a circuit had blown during the day. This was discovered on Saturday when the foreman began replacing bulbs and discovered there was no electricity. The bulbs were not blown and an electrician repaired the circuit before dark on Saturday.

I was quite surprised to learn it was a member of your group who fell as there did not appear to be an injured member in your group. You are correct that it is very dark when the lights are out and attempting to navigate in an area you are not familiar with could be difficult.

Yes, the wine served the weekend you were at Escondida came out of a box into a caraffe. The wine is served from a caraffe. We offer complimentry beer and wine.

As far as me not coming into the dining room and greeting the guests, we are not a bed and breakfast. I think it would be rather obnoxious to enter the dining room and announce that I am the owner. I prefer to talk to guests individually.

I spoke with your group Saturday afternoon when I looked for insect spray and set out fire starter for the chimenea.

The pool was painted two years ago and we are currently battling it out with the manufacturer of the paint. The pool can not be repainted without being drained and left empty for at least a week. This will be addressed when it gets cooler. As far as the pool furniture is concerned, the furniture on the website was inferior and was replaced.

Please let me know what your questions were regarding the hot tub and pool and I will address them.

Reviewed September 1, 2008

Before booking my stay, I read all the reviews and felt it was a 50/50 chance I'd like this place. As I drove (sped) to get there in order to make the 6:30-7:30 pm window for dinner, I luckily made it around 6:15 pm. Upon arrival, there was nobody there to greet us. My key was taped to the office window with my name and room number. I thought that was strange, but grabbed my key and looked for the dining room. Dinner was bland but the generous amount of wine available made up for it. After dinner we found our room and got settled. The room was nice but when pulling down the sheets that night, we noticed that the comforter had stains on it, the blanket beneath it had make up and something else. Gross, not exactly a resort. I'd expect that at the Motel 6. After using the toilet, it ran constantly the entire time we were there. The t.v. didn't get any reception but we noticed others were watching t.v. When my husband asked the lady in the office about the lack of reception, she said she didn't know what the problem was. Like the other reviewers said, there is NOTHING to do here. There is NEVER anyone who works there available to answer questions or offer assistance. The lady in the office was in maybe 15 minutes a day. I guess you had to get lucky and walk by while she was there. There is zero customer service. I feel this place could really be something special, but I felt like after they took my money, it was all self serve. Set your alarm, no sleeping in, breakfast is from 8:30-9:30 am!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GolfDiva
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Escondida is a truly beautiful resort a nice hide away from the hustle and bustle.

We went there with some friends and spend 3 days two nights.

Our first impression once we were at the resort was at check in. A truly nice young lady with a wonderful sense of humor checked us in and then took us on a tour of the property to familiarize us with it. She took us to our rooms and took the time to chat and show us necessiities provided to us, she also told us to contact her with anything we may need. She was this outgoing and cheery the whole time we were there with us and well as all the other guests. Also a truly wonderful hostess during our meals.

Rooms were beautiful, spa personal was friendly and we all had wonderful services in the spa. Rick was just wonderful.

Had a few problems with the coowner and another employee we won't mention here but we pushed that aside.

We felt the food was so so nothing special and we found out later the co owner was also the chef during our stay there. This needs improvement!

Would we return yes we would. We feel this Resort has alot of potential once it gets afew things taken care of.

To us customer service is very important and we felt the kindness of one employee there made up for the lack of other services that can be ironed out.in time.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank whoknewit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medina
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Sunday House Inn
Hampton Inn Kerrville
Hampton Inn Kerrville
#1 of 14 in Kerrville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kerrville
Y O Ranch Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!