“Another great trip to Escondida!”
Review of Escondida Resort

Escondida Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We wanted to go out of town for my wife's birthday weekend in May 2012. Because we had really enjoyed our October 2011 trip to Escondida [http://bit.ly/KazHOt], we decided a repeat visit was in order.

When we arrived at Escondida on Friday afternoon, Jo welcomed us warmly and made us feel right at home. There was a wine sharing social the first evening, and we got to meet and talk with all of the other guests. It was a full house: 23 people! That should give you an idea of what a small, intimate experience this place provides. After the wine social, we sat down to one of Dawn's excellent meals. This set the pace for a pleasant, relaxing weekend.

Here's the most important thing you need to understand about going to Escondida: There is practically nothing to do there. But that's not a bad thing. There's no cellphone reception, no wi-fi, nothing to distract you from the serious business of relaxing. You can sit by the pool, soak in the hot tub, walk the ruggedly beautiful grounds, relax inside the hacienda and generally chill out. There's also an excellent spa with a wide range of services (we highly recommend the couple's massage).

If you crave excitement, you could always take a day trip to Medina or Kerrville. But we never left Escondida during either of our two visits. And you know what? We had a great time!

You'll probably read references in some of the other reviews to family-style meals at Escondida. There isn't really any choice of meal, and everybody eats the same thing. Whether you like this or not is up to you. We think it encourages a sense of togetherness and a chance to socialize that most hotels and restaurants can't offer. If you have specific dietary requirements, accommodation can be made if you let them know in advance. But Escondida is in the middle of nowhere--that's a major part of its charm--so don't be surprised if the staff can't conjure up something special on the spur of the moment.

Because of Escondida's relative isolation from civilization, you'll need to plan ahead for lunch and refreshments. Breakfast and dinner are provided on the weekend, but lunch is not. Beer and wine are available at dinner, but you'll need to bring your own if you want anything during other times. Many of the other guests went into town for lunch, but we brought some snacks for lunch as well as our own wine.

I said this in my previous review of Escondida, but it bears repeating: Your experience at Escondida will depend largely on you. If you are looking to unwind, relax and go with the flow, this is the place for you. But if you are looking to party and get loud, you probably won't enjoy it.

Incidentally, we could tell that a lot of work had been done to improve the facilities in the seven months since our last visit. The bridge between the hacienda and spa/pool area has been repaired, and the pool has been beautifully refinished. A lot of attention has been given to the landscaping on the entire property. We also noticed small changes like new window treatments and new towels. It was clear to us Bob Phillips and associates have been putting a lot of time, money and attention into enhancing this lovely little resort.

Escondida is a real Texas treasure. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank russianracehorse

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We loved this resort. A wonderful place to get away and relax. No cell phone reception which is one reason why we wanted to stay there. If you need to make personal calls, buy a phone card. I bought a phone card for $5.00 and had 3 hours of talk time which I only used 45 minutes of to check on my 16 yr old son at home. The food was great! The guests were very nice and everyone seemed to click, probably because we were all on the same page with wanting to get away from it all and relax! The scenery around the property was gorgeous. We had the room with the only balcony and it was fabulous especially at night. The pool was very nice too. We will definitely return for another wonderful visit!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I found this as a top choice on another site and it looked fabulous for me--didn't want a frilly B & B with antiques and maybe too involved proprietor but also didn't want a motel chain. The reviews here scared me and so I settled for staying just one night. I think "has the potential to be fabulous" hits it on the head. THe location is great, the hacienda style lovely and the pool and spa are great ideas as is having dinner and breakfast on site--no hassle and allows relaxing down time.THe livng room is open for use and beautiful. Our room on the first floor facing front was lovely--Saltillo tile floor, decorative tile shower, separate makeup/dressing counter, big tv with satellite music, king bed with luxurious bedding. Only negative about the location is it is near the road but there is lots of property to roam around away from everything. THere is a small refrigerator also.
Wine or beer or soft drinks were served in a lovely are prior to dinner with other guest and we enjoyed sitting with another couple during dinner. Dinner was good and generous but rather perfunctorily served--EVERYTHING on one plate all at once, even the bread. Salad, pork roast, green beans, mashed potatoes and rolls. It was rather plain but well cooked and with only 16 guests I would never expect choices. I do think though that just a few extra service trips to have salad and or rolls on separate plates would be nice and also water in glasses rather than styrofoam cups.
Our SUnday breakfast was just ok--muffins homemade, fruit, cereal--but I understand that Saturdays was excellent.
I used the pool which is in a lovely setting but lacks comfortable lounge chairs and is cold--needs a solar blanket. I am not a fan of hottubs for group use but this one is just your average home-type one. A pool service person said the pool and hot tub are being rennovated.
I was able to book a spa appointment on Sunday and the spa is in a separate building and very well done. The facial and body scrub were quite good.THere's a small fitness room as well.
My husband enjoyed hiking up the trail there.
With some tweaks, such as l little more posh dining service and pool furniture, this place could be 5 star. It would take lots though to approach the next inn where we stayed just an hour away in Hill COuntry though,

Room Tip: I think facing the front drive would be best and upstairs if stairs don't bother you because you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SueTerry
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our third visit to this "secret hideaway" in the beautiful Hill Country did not disappoint. I'm not sure why some of the reviews rate it negatively unless they were expecting a "resort" which this is definately not. But as a beautiful and charming retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city it has few equals. The spa services were excellent and Dawn's meals were delicious. The room was superb and the grounds immaculate. All in all a wonderful respite from the daily grind.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank wyoming88
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Ecsondida Resort and Spa is the perfect destination for a get away with that personal touch !!! Spa retreat , family reunions, romantic hideaways or just time to decompress from the hectic life outside the beautiful Hill Country acreage w/ wildlife grazing, guests are treated with a personal touch. A small and intimate resort allows everyone's wants/ needs to be met. Girls, go spend a weekend being pampered and doing nothing if that's what you choose or shop in any of the close towns ( Medina, Kerrvile & Fredricksberg ). We had my mom's 90th birthday with all the family and she was treated by staff and other guests as Queen for the weekend !!! A memory forever !!! I have since traveled to Escondida with friends and just a quiet , spa weekend for me.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have gas log fireplaces which is always romantic. Book the owner's suite if yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LAT5023
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This place has some really great potential to be a fabulous little boutique style hotel. Despite some of the negative reviews I found here, I was really looking forward to staying here and I arrived with an open-mind.

First, the good:

- the location is great......surrounding area is hilly and quite pretty, the road/highway leading up to the place is also quite curvy and scenic which I really liked
- we stayed in one of the king rooms on the first floor facing the front of the property; the room was clean and the bathroom/shower area was also clean; the bed was comfortable; the view was great
- some people commented that the pool or hot tub outside was dirty --- when I was there, I looked at both and they both looked clean and kept up; the hot tub was running/working although it was cold out so no one was using it, same with the pool

The not-so-good:
- service level is not what it should be; starting from the moment we arrived, i walked into the office/front desk and the manager, Dawn, didnt even look up to greet us, I said hello and just stood there waiting for eye contact or a response....after a few seconds we finally get a hello and a "sorry, I'm just trying to finish this up" referring to paperwork -- so fine, I thought, no big deal, she must be having a busy day and left it at that.

Found it strange that Dawn is the manager, cook and the housekeeper. I had read that on TripAdvisor but thought that maybe the reviewer had just gone on a day that possibly other Escondida staff members had called in sick or out, but as it turns out, there is one person running the whole thing.

- Dinner: served in the dining room; there is no menu to pick from; Dawn cooked the dinner which consisted of fish, rice, asparagus, and a simple salad -- all tasted good but not great. There were only 3 other couples and we all sat in this really akward silence --- one couple later described the ambiance as similar to sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. A suggestion: add some window treatments or a rug -- needs some fabric to absorb noise and not make it so echo-y....that would add a welcoming warmth to the dining room. Maybe even a plant in the room or a flower on each of the 4 small dining tables -- doesnt have to be expensive just something.

- Breakfast: we were served 2 large slices of french toast with a caramel sauce; since the portion was large, I told Dawn that I would be okay with just one slice to which she replied "Oh, but you are getting 2. I've already made them, you dont have to eat it if you dont want to" --- gee thanks. One of the ladies asked if instead of the heavy caramel sauce she could have butter -- she was told "nope, sorry, our butter is frozen". I had a slice of the french toast, which did taste good, but my stomach did not like it -- was sick for the rest of the day.

Basically as far as meals go, prepare to be treated like a child by a stern parent -- attitude of "this is what I made, and if you dont like it, tough!"

Other notes about this place:
- hiking trail --- i was not able to hike up because it was muddy from all the rain;
- spa - had a couple of treatments; 2 staff members at the spa; spa is closed on Sunday's. The spa staff was nice and friendly.

Overall, I'm not sure if I would go back --- maybe we went during the "off season" -- but we are not likely to return, especially not for 2 nights unless the staff was different. Not everyone has the right type of personality needed for hospitality. I dont believe the manager was trying to be rude, but her personality is coarse and not what you would expect from someone running a place like what this is trying to be -- such a shame too, because this place could be amazing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank SilverStream
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My wife and I decided some time back we wanted to go somewhere quiet and romantic. We hit the nail on the head on this one Dawn and the staff were great. They pampered us from the time we got there till the time we left. Our room was fine and the food was way more than we were expecting. It was more like something you would expect from some fine restaurant. The weather was rainy the entire time we were there, but if you are from Texas ,no one complains about rain these days. In spite of the wet weather we still had a great time. One thing that is for certain you do get peace and quiet while you are there. If you are a party animal save your money go to a bar. This is a place for those who are truly looking for peace and quiet.We took full advantage of the spa and it was great as well.

Room Tip: Our upstairs room also had a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank larry a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medina
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Sunday House Inn
Hampton Inn Kerrville
Hampton Inn Kerrville
#1 of 14 in Kerrville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kerrville
Y O Ranch Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!