“Reviews on Tripadvisor are balanced”
Review of Escondida Resort

Escondida Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medina
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I found this as a top choice on another site and it looked fabulous for me--didn't want a frilly B & B with antiques and maybe too involved proprietor but also didn't want a motel chain. The reviews here scared me and so I settled for staying just one night. I think "has the potential to be fabulous" hits it on the head. THe location is great, the hacienda style lovely and the pool and spa are great ideas as is having dinner and breakfast on site--no hassle and allows relaxing down time.THe livng room is open for use and beautiful. Our room on the first floor facing front was lovely--Saltillo tile floor, decorative tile shower, separate makeup/dressing counter, big tv with satellite music, king bed with luxurious bedding. Only negative about the location is it is near the road but there is lots of property to roam around away from everything. THere is a small refrigerator also.
Wine or beer or soft drinks were served in a lovely are prior to dinner with other guest and we enjoyed sitting with another couple during dinner. Dinner was good and generous but rather perfunctorily served--EVERYTHING on one plate all at once, even the bread. Salad, pork roast, green beans, mashed potatoes and rolls. It was rather plain but well cooked and with only 16 guests I would never expect choices. I do think though that just a few extra service trips to have salad and or rolls on separate plates would be nice and also water in glasses rather than styrofoam cups.
Our SUnday breakfast was just ok--muffins homemade, fruit, cereal--but I understand that Saturdays was excellent.
I used the pool which is in a lovely setting but lacks comfortable lounge chairs and is cold--needs a solar blanket. I am not a fan of hottubs for group use but this one is just your average home-type one. A pool service person said the pool and hot tub are being rennovated.
I was able to book a spa appointment on Sunday and the spa is in a separate building and very well done. The facial and body scrub were quite good.THere's a small fitness room as well.
My husband enjoyed hiking up the trail there.
With some tweaks, such as l little more posh dining service and pool furniture, this place could be 5 star. It would take lots though to approach the next inn where we stayed just an hour away in Hill COuntry though,

Room Tip: I think facing the front drive would be best and upstairs if stairs don't bother you because you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SueTerry

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our third visit to this "secret hideaway" in the beautiful Hill Country did not disappoint. I'm not sure why some of the reviews rate it negatively unless they were expecting a "resort" which this is definately not. But as a beautiful and charming retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city it has few equals. The spa services were excellent and Dawn's meals were delicious. The room was superb and the grounds immaculate. All in all a wonderful respite from the daily grind.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank wyoming88
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Ecsondida Resort and Spa is the perfect destination for a get away with that personal touch !!! Spa retreat , family reunions, romantic hideaways or just time to decompress from the hectic life outside the beautiful Hill Country acreage w/ wildlife grazing, guests are treated with a personal touch. A small and intimate resort allows everyone's wants/ needs to be met. Girls, go spend a weekend being pampered and doing nothing if that's what you choose or shop in any of the close towns ( Medina, Kerrvile & Fredricksberg ). We had my mom's 90th birthday with all the family and she was treated by staff and other guests as Queen for the weekend !!! A memory forever !!! I have since traveled to Escondida with friends and just a quiet , spa weekend for me.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have gas log fireplaces which is always romantic. Book the owner's suite if yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LAT5023
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This place has some really great potential to be a fabulous little boutique style hotel. Despite some of the negative reviews I found here, I was really looking forward to staying here and I arrived with an open-mind.

First, the good:

- the location is great......surrounding area is hilly and quite pretty, the road/highway leading up to the place is also quite curvy and scenic which I really liked
- we stayed in one of the king rooms on the first floor facing the front of the property; the room was clean and the bathroom/shower area was also clean; the bed was comfortable; the view was great
- some people commented that the pool or hot tub outside was dirty --- when I was there, I looked at both and they both looked clean and kept up; the hot tub was running/working although it was cold out so no one was using it, same with the pool

The not-so-good:
- service level is not what it should be; starting from the moment we arrived, i walked into the office/front desk and the manager, Dawn, didnt even look up to greet us, I said hello and just stood there waiting for eye contact or a response....after a few seconds we finally get a hello and a "sorry, I'm just trying to finish this up" referring to paperwork -- so fine, I thought, no big deal, she must be having a busy day and left it at that.

Found it strange that Dawn is the manager, cook and the housekeeper. I had read that on TripAdvisor but thought that maybe the reviewer had just gone on a day that possibly other Escondida staff members had called in sick or out, but as it turns out, there is one person running the whole thing.

- Dinner: served in the dining room; there is no menu to pick from; Dawn cooked the dinner which consisted of fish, rice, asparagus, and a simple salad -- all tasted good but not great. There were only 3 other couples and we all sat in this really akward silence --- one couple later described the ambiance as similar to sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. A suggestion: add some window treatments or a rug -- needs some fabric to absorb noise and not make it so echo-y....that would add a welcoming warmth to the dining room. Maybe even a plant in the room or a flower on each of the 4 small dining tables -- doesnt have to be expensive just something.

- Breakfast: we were served 2 large slices of french toast with a caramel sauce; since the portion was large, I told Dawn that I would be okay with just one slice to which she replied "Oh, but you are getting 2. I've already made them, you dont have to eat it if you dont want to" --- gee thanks. One of the ladies asked if instead of the heavy caramel sauce she could have butter -- she was told "nope, sorry, our butter is frozen". I had a slice of the french toast, which did taste good, but my stomach did not like it -- was sick for the rest of the day.

Basically as far as meals go, prepare to be treated like a child by a stern parent -- attitude of "this is what I made, and if you dont like it, tough!"

Other notes about this place:
- hiking trail --- i was not able to hike up because it was muddy from all the rain;
- spa - had a couple of treatments; 2 staff members at the spa; spa is closed on Sunday's. The spa staff was nice and friendly.

Overall, I'm not sure if I would go back --- maybe we went during the "off season" -- but we are not likely to return, especially not for 2 nights unless the staff was different. Not everyone has the right type of personality needed for hospitality. I dont believe the manager was trying to be rude, but her personality is coarse and not what you would expect from someone running a place like what this is trying to be -- such a shame too, because this place could be amazing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank SilverStream
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My wife and I decided some time back we wanted to go somewhere quiet and romantic. We hit the nail on the head on this one Dawn and the staff were great. They pampered us from the time we got there till the time we left. Our room was fine and the food was way more than we were expecting. It was more like something you would expect from some fine restaurant. The weather was rainy the entire time we were there, but if you are from Texas ,no one complains about rain these days. In spite of the wet weather we still had a great time. One thing that is for certain you do get peace and quiet while you are there. If you are a party animal save your money go to a bar. This is a place for those who are truly looking for peace and quiet.We took full advantage of the spa and it was great as well.

Room Tip: Our upstairs room also had a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank larry a
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We decided to do a last-minute getaway for the Columbus Day weekend, and a little online research led me to Escondida. We were looking to relax by the pool and get a massage, and Escondida offered exactly what we wanted. The lack of cell phone and internet access turned out to add to the atmosphere of relaxation.

Our room was large and comfortable, and the Saltillo tile in the bathroom was beautiful. We had a great view from our room, and we able to see small herds of deer walking across the grounds.

The level of service was exactly right--neither too much nor too little. We were mostly left alone, but we could always find someone when we needed something. The other guests were friendly, and we had very pleasant conversations with several of them. Most of them had come to Escondida because they had seen it advertised on The Texas Country Reporter (which I had never even heard of).

Breakfast and dinner were provided, and the meals were all excellent. The couple massage we received at the spa was wonderful, and we enjoying lolling by the pool during the day. We also took strolls on the property's grounds. We never felt the need to leave the property, so we just relaxed and had a great time.

Your experience at Escondida will depend largely on you. If you are looking to unwind, relax and go with the flow, this is the place for you. But if you are looking to party and get loud, you probably won't enjoy it. No alcohol is sold on the premises, but you are allowed to bring your own (we brought wine, which we kept in our room's refrigerator). There is also no restaurant on the property. The chef prepares one meal for everyone. Some people have complained on this site about that fact, but the food is very good. Special accommodations can be made if you tell them in advance.

The bottom line: We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at Escondida. We have recommended it to all our friends, and we look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank russianracehorse
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I made reservations for the "romantic package" for my fiancé and I for Friday and Saturday and added a third day, Sunday, to round out the weekend. The staff, Dawn, Liz, Jo and Christie were so accomodating and the meals, made from scratch, surpassed the finest eateries in the state. The rooms were clean, the beds out of this world, the hot tub and pool exceptionally clean and well maintained, the spa and massage surpassed all of my expectations, the trail to the cabin on top of the mountain was well marked and the view could only be compared to a mountain top chalet in the Swiss Alps. I commend Mr. Phillips and his entire staff for the fine hospitality, meals, sincere concern for each guest and the knowledge they provided us for the most pleasant stay I and my fiancé have ever had. You don't need to travel outside of Texas for 1st class pampering, just make reservations at Escondida Resort and for that special "someone" make the "romantic package" a prority. We are already planning for next year. Thank you once again.

Jeff Landskroener
Danielle Benjamin

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at this resort.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeffrey L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medina
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Sunday House Inn
Hampton Inn Kerrville
Hampton Inn Kerrville
#1 of 14 in Kerrville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Worldmark Hunt - Stablewood Springs Resort
Flying L Hill Country Resort

Been to Escondida Resort? Share your experiences!