“beautiful, but some poor elements”

The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Good parts first - the rooms are completely stunning and very unique - great use of glass and marble. The situation is gorgeous and there are loads of great facilities.

I had two bad experiences though. First, a request to bring an item to my room took three requests to the front desk over at least an hour before it eventually arrived, though each time I was told it was just coming. Only a small issue, but annoying at this price and unexpected given the hotel's reputation.
Second, the phone by the bed had no information on charges for calling internationally. When I checked out (having to catch a plane and so with little time to dispute the bill) I had been charged more than 150 Euro for one phone call of less than 20 minutes to the UK. I queried it and was told it was correct, and so I paid. However, I was so amazed by this I emailed them again to complain, and was told that in actual fact the amount I paid was wrong (though the actual charge was still an expensive 3 euros per minute). Once the mistake had been recognised the hotel were good and refunded the full amount. I appreciated the refund of course, but it still doesn't in my mind, make up for the fact of the original mistake, not picked up on when I first queried it, plus the still expensive rates of phone calls and the lack of information available for the customer to know this in advance.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lkcLondon
westin_mgt, Complex General Manager at The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2010

Dear Guest;
Following your recent comments on Trip Advisor, we would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience at the Westin Athens hotel.
As we are continually striving to improve the services offered by our hotel; your comments are greatly appreciated in helping us to enhance the experience of our guests. We were very concerned to hear about the inconveniences you experienced and are sorry to hear that you have a mixed feeling about our hotel. We were pleased to read that the issue with the phone charges was resolved and you have been fully refunded.
Hoping that your recent experience will not impact the possibility of returning back to the Westin Athens, we sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2010

Both of our rooms in the Westin Astir Palace Resort & Spa were just beyond beautiful, spacious and nicely appointed; the balconies were wonderful for us to enjoy the ocean view of the gorgeous Saronic Gulf coast.

The hotel is in Vouliagmeni about 35-45 minutes from Athens airport and about half an hour from downtown Athens.

Breakfast was included with our stay and was absolutely amazing; it was the best breakfast we had on our 2 country European trip! The breakfast buffet table was never-ending, with everything imaginable and it was available until 11:00 a.m..

My only disappointment is that if we wanted internet access we would have to pay 15 euro per day for a non-wireless internet access; I expected not to have to pay for the internet, as most of the hotels in this category have a free internet access.

The property, the hotel, the amenities and the view were absolutely stunning; we wished we had more that a day there but it was a superb way to end a very memorable trip to Europe!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ARKonVacation

Dear Guest;
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments.
In regards to your comments for the internet charges, we would like to respectfully inform you that wireless internet access is for free in the public areas but unfortunately not in the privacy of the room.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed December 26, 2009

This is a lovely place to stay. It is slightly out of town, making trips to central Athens inconvenient, but is in itself in a beautiful location.

Perched at the tip of an isolated peninsula, it boasts magnificent views of the town and sea. It has its own private beach, and several very good restaurants to choose from. The water is calm and very clear.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful. They are big, spacious, and very modern. We had a gorgeous bath, plenty of living area, and a even a nespresso machine.

Hotel staff were very friendly. We found them very helpful, fluent in English, and always kind to the kids.

This is certainly one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sirfox
westin_mgt, Complex General Manager at The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2009

Dear Guest;
We read your review and are very happy to know that your stay at the Westin Athens was a feeling experience. In our attempt to improve this resort, we surely value all the feedback we can get from our guests.
We are very happy that you enjoyed all elements of your stay and found our staff to be professional and friendly. We are always delighted to receive such wonderful reviews. We sincerely hope to see you again soon for your next stay in Athens.
Sincerely yours

Reviewed November 28, 2009

The hotel, the location, the view, the room, everything is so nice.
The breakfast area (Blue hytra) is a very nice restaurant because of the magnificent view, the breakfast is very good quality with nearly everything you can have for breakfast.
The rooms are spacious and very nice decorated. The beds, linens, pillows are very good, is like a garrantie for a good sleep.
There is a Nespresso coffee machine in the room and they offer a few varieties of coffee, the cosmetics in the bathroom is a very good quality (natural cosmetics, heavenly).
What i don t like is the corridors in the floors, its like they design the corridors for another hotel.
I don t like that we are three in the room, but the bathrobes are two and the slippers for one. They add an extra bed for my son and the bed was very bad quality
Its a very good idea if the hotel has a better preparation to accept kids, yes i know about the mini club, but there are also kids traveling during winter and its very important for the parents the hotel to pay attention to their children.
Anyway, the hotel is nice and the location is .... legendary!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
westin_mgt, Complex General Manager at The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2009

Dear Guest;
We hope this unfortunate experience will not deter you from staying with us once more and truly hope you will give us the chance to restore your faith in our services.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed at the hotel as part of a conference and have to say that overall both I and all of the delegates I spoke to thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and facilities.

The hotel is located with its own private beach and pools which afforded wonderful relaxation for wives and partners with a view across the sea. The conference facilities and catering are excellent with a wide range of food options (to suit everyone) and wonderful staff who were polite and delivered the very highest quality service.

I would love to come back when I don't have to work, as I was only briefly able to enjoy the amazing facilities, I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

The only downside is that it is quite far from Athens city centre, there is a free shuttle bus from the hotel which allows you a great days sightseeing but it is not a quick trip in for an evening meal (instead try the excellent hotel restaurants or a ten minute walk down the hill to a few great local places).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank WilfVoss
westin_mgt, Complex General Manager at The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2009

Dear Guest;
We read your review and are very happy to know that your stay at the Westin Athens was a renewal experience. In our attempt to improve this resort, we surely value all the feedback we can get from our guests.
Judging from your comments it gave us great pleasure to read that our staff members met and exceeded in certain areas your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.
Sincerely yours

Reviewed October 2, 2009

The entire was stay beautiful and fanastic would recommend to any one, then check out came... My bill was not the rate that I confirmed upon booking, emails, and check in but a new rate that that was 1/3 higher. Needless to say I had questions. I refused to pay the rate increase that I was never told about. They had my checked baggage, as I wasn't leaving until later that night and was basically told by the staff good luck getting your luggage back then. Even with confirmed rates in writing in several forms they still refused to take the charge off. I am still fighting the charge.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ALostSounderFan
westin_mgt, Complex General Manager at The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2009

Dear Guest;
As we are continually striving to improve the services offered by our hotel; your comments are greatly appreciated in helping us to enhance the experience of our guests. We were very concerned to hear about the inconveniences you experienced and are sorry to hear that you have a mixed feeling about our hotel. We hope that the issue created with your final bill is solved by now.
We hope to welcome you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed September 29, 2009

We debated about staying at this hotel or staying in Athens. I'm so glad we chose this hotel as the location (if you're looking for a more relaxing beach break) is great. You can see from the photos that the beach and pool area is really nice and they've done a good job making the ocean access user-friendly.

The rooms were spacious and each was oceanview and had a balcony. The bathroom was huge with a large soaking tub and separate shower. The closet area was huge as well, with a side for each my husband and I. One problem was that the safe was already locked when we got to the room and we called someone to fix it and they came and played with it for about 20 minutes and couldn't figure it out. Everything else about the room was great though. We're starwood gold members and there was a bottle of wine and fresh fruit waiting in the room, very nice. Always had evening turn down service with chocolates as well.

The pool area was great and there were always plenty of chairs. The only weird thing was the service. Sometimes we'd see 3 or 4 attendants all over by the bar, but we'd practically have to walk all the way over to get their attention for service. Other times there seemed to be a manager bringing water to each guest, which was very nice. The drinks were not very good and very over priced (€14 each), but what do you expect for a resort. The whole process just seemed a bit disorganized because sometimes there would be someone right there and othertimes we'd be waiting 30 minutes when there were only a couple other people at the pool.

The breakfast was great, one of the best I've had. So many choices and while it is a buffet so nothing is going to taste as good as if it was made right then and there, I was impressed when we showed up 10 minutes before breakfast was closing and everything looked like it had just been replenished.

We also ordered breakfast to the room one day, an American breakfast and one was plenty for my husband and I to share. it came with a basket of different pastries and breads and was just enough to tide us over to gyros at lunch.

The shuttle service into Athens was fine, although it only goes in at 9am and returns at 5:30. It makes for a very long day so we took a cab back and it cost 25€. Warning: we were going to go into Athens on a Sat night for dinner and then to a club, when the hotel was calling for a cab, they said it would probably be 25€ into town, but if we came back later after the club, the price for the ride back would likely be 50€ or more. We're so glad we knew that beforehand as we ended up taking a cab just to the town about 5 minutes from the hotel.

We were happy there were other food options right in town, which you could walk to, but it's rather dark, about 20 minutes or so. There are a variety of restaurants to choose from.

If the main point of your trip is to sight-see in Athens, than this is not the hotel for you. It's a pain to get into town, and about 30 minutes or so driving. There's no good access to the airport or the city without a taxi or car, so going back and forth is not fun. For us it was great, one day seeing the sights (we've been here before) and 2 days relaxing by the pool/beach.

We hope to do a cruise around the Greek isles and we definitely hope to start and/or end our trip at this hotel.

While other reveiwers have said how horrible the service is here, I wouldn't necessarily agree or disagree. It's clear they don't have everything together, especially by the pool, but I must say that everyone throughout the hotel that we encountered was so friendly. An improvement in the service would really make a difference to this place as the grounds and the rooms are really great.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo

Dear Guest;
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments.
We were very happy to read that your stay at the Westin Athens was a refreshing experience. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff. We were very concerned to hear about the inconveniences you experienced with the safe and the service in certain areas and we are truly sorry about that.
Sincerely yours,
Complex General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
#3 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Grand Resort Lagonissi
Grand Resort Lagonissi
#1 of 1 in Lagonisi

Been to The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort? Share your experiences!