“Better food and service at the airport”

Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
New York City, New York
“Better food and service at the airport”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I grant that the surroundings and amenities are remarkable at this hotel, but the food and service are atrocious. We arrived here after a wonderful few days in Crete eating amazing cheap local cuisine. Don't expect any authentic or delicious food at the Arion. The food is over-priced and possibly the worst version of Greek cuisine possible. I had a better spinach pie at the Athens airport. I may have forgiven the resort for this failing if it wasn't for the terrible racist non-service. I should mention that I'm a black woman. I suspect black patrons at this hotel are a rare occurrence. My husband is white. As long as we were together service wasn't too bad. But the one day I wandered around the hotel alone with my son, we were completely ignored at every juncture. We stood at the beach-side food bar for a full 10 minutes and were completely ignored. We gave up and went upstairs to order a hot chocolate ($7), glass of champagne, and french fries. We waited a full 45 minutes without even the courtesy of a glass of water. Meanwhile a guest seated next to us got his glass of wine in 2 minutes. Our order finally arrived only after I got up to complain. I also had to wait over 15 minutes after I requested the bill.

This hotel is a total abomination. Avoid it like the plague.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank novonjer
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear novonjer,
I appreciate the time and effort you put into recording your comments concerning your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel. Every observation is extremely valuable and helpful to us, in our continued objective to strive for excellence in all areas of the hotel.
Kindly accept our most sincere apologies for the negative impression that your stay left.
On the other hand I was very happy for having the opportunity our Manager on Duty to personally meeting and speaking with you while you were still in the hotel.
Should you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at michael.metaxas@starwoodhotels.com.
Despite your recent experience, we truly hope you will give us the chance to restore your trust in our services and give us the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Arion hotel.
Complex General

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We are staying in bungalow in Arion, and I can tell you that it is a cool place to be. Room is clean and service is perfect.
Beach is nice, with white sand. Pool is also good.
The prices are a bit high, but I dont care if the service and quality is ok.
We will try Nobu Matsusita restaurant (it is in the complex) tonight!
I recommend this place for people who want nice a quite place to spend thair holiday or weekend!!!!!!!!!!
Spa is also very good too.
The whole complex has been renovated recantly, you have WiFi and Sat TV.
I think that this is one of the best (if not the best) place in Greece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2013
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Ministar,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your current experience at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel.
I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your stay, the comfort of your room, the surroundings and our services. We are grateful for your support and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to the Arion again.
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This past weekend we stayed at the Arion Astir Palace for our third time and had an absolutely wonderful time. Upon check in, we were pleased to see that we had been upgraded from our original booking, which was an Excelsior Room on the executive floor and placed instead in a bungalow directly on the ocean (room 1027). The bungalow was absolutely gorgeous, located literally steps above the private beach with fantastic sea views and the calming sounds of the Sea below, which was just magical to hear at night.

Although we live in Athens for the summers, we decided last year to stay at the hotel as often as possible and they never disappoint! The Arion is located on a private peninsula in the Southern part of the city, directly on the beach in the most exclusive area of Athens. It is absolute heaven and a paradise for our young twins that enjoy all of the facilities, but especially the private beach and the clean, shallow waters from the shore.

The hotel has a fantastic buffet breakfast and great service and this is a property that all visitors to Greece should see, especially considering that many tourists to this gorgeous country do not even know that Athens has such beautiful coastline and most only think of Athens as a crowded, noisy metropolitan city. Also, “Taverna 37” has truly outstanding and authentic food and also never disappoints!! Definitely have an afternoon lunch at this amazing seaside Taverna.

We are constantly telling our friends to stay at this wonderful property and have been responsible for many bookings in the past and are happy to say that all of our friends have had similar experiences. Bravo to the general manager, Michael Metaxas and his outstanding staff and thank you for ALWAYS making us feel at home!! We cannot wait for our next visit!!

Room Tip: Every room is great, but the bungalows are heaven!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear jbrown2665;
Thank you for your positive comments, I am glad to hear such wonderful comments from repeating guests.
I was especially pleased to read that you truly experienced a large number of the services we have to offer.
We are indeed very proud of our resort, the beaches, the facilities, the offered services, the variety of the breakfast buffet and the various dishes all prepared from our kitchen team whose creations exceed our guest expectation.
We are happy that we have fulfilled one of our missions: to make our guests feel at home.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next stay at the Arion hotel.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was visiting Athens for my friend's wedding and had the pleasure of staying at the Arion. We booked a room with an ocean view and it was gorgeous. The hotel location was incredible and they also gave us access to the Westin Astir Palace Resort facilities next door. Both hotels have pools and access to the ocean. Also, the breakfast was great and the staff at the Arion front desk was always willing to help. The only comments for improvement were some smaller items related to day to day details like we would have to follow up on requests, the hotel didn't provide enough towels, etc. (other people attending the wedding who were staying at our hotel mentioned some similar types of experiences). Having said that, if you're looking for a resort trip a bit outside central Athens and beautiful views I'd recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Raj M;
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel. Please note that we take all guest reviews very seriously, both positive and negative, and through them we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests.
We were very pleased to read that you had a memorable stay and you were satisfied with the services offered, the comfort of your room, the hotel’s location, the variety of the breakfast.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from Greece with hubby and stayed at the Arion Resort and I was truly impressed. The hotel had that European elegance without being stuffy. The main entrance opened up to a large breathtaking sea view and you could have your buffet breakfast there and just sit forever looking out at the view. The service was impeccable from front desk to the restaurant. Our room was on the club floor and we were very lucky to have a suite with a vast terrace that looked out to the sea view again. The room was spacious and the bathroom had a large separate shower and jet tub and separate WC. The bed was heavenly as well. There were many places on the beach level to sun tan with plenty of chairs and umbrellas for everyone. I really liked that the resort had it's own private sandy beach (not rocky at all) and you could walk out 20 feet still be able to stand so it's great for kids. I had no idea that just 45 mins away from Athens lied this beautiful beach area and if you rent a car you can easily drive to Glifada for more dinning and shopping options and of course more beaches for you to explore.
I would highly recommend this resort and if you have kids it's great with the sandy beach and there is a kids club that is shared with their sister property Westin on the same grounds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear clam3690;
We are delighted to read your wonderful comments on your recent stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel.
We were very happy to find out you had a nice time and you managed to enjoy our facilities, venues as well as the surrounding area. Also, we were pleased to hear that you recognized our child friendly approach and our services in this regard. We are very proud of our resort.
tehran
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Went to Arion Resort in Athens for a family celebration.
I live in a cosmopolitan city and I wasnt too excited about going to Athens only for my first visit to Greece.
However my vacation turned out to be a fantastic time and a great surprise.

Mostly it was the beautiful setting of this resort that made it so memorable. Anywhere you were, you had a great view and a fabulous atmosphere.
Loved laying out on the dock. The beach was great for families with kids as it was shallow and safe. The breakfast was fresh and delicious and had something great for everyone.
There were nice restaurants in the hotel and also some fabulous restaurants very close by.

The staff was very friendly and in general I loved the easy going, down to earth demeanor of Atheneans. I appreciated that all the staff spoke fluent English.

The food/ beverage prices were way too expensive compared to Athens and the rest of Europe.

My only advice for the management is: please change the couches in the lobby. It was a dissappointing shock when I arrived and was wondering why I'm paying so much for a hotel that looks like this.

Room Tip: Room with view is an excellent choice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear batuma;
Concerning your comments on our pricing policy, I would like to respectfully inform you that our prices are competitive to those of hotels in the same category with us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in Athens.
Russia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great place for romantic time! We stayed in deluxe room with seaview. And the view is so nice you just dont want to leave the seriously large balcony! :-) Room was of very high standart. Particulary liked the fact that you can enter bathroom area (which has both shower and bathtab) from the room and from the corridor, very convinient.

Breakfast buffet is open till 11 am and has an exellent selection of...practically everything. Try yougurt from the small fridge - delicious! You can have breakfast also on the terrace overlooking the sea, very plesant. Also at 11 am they dont really stop breakfast, at around 11.20 they tell you that they are about to close the buffet, "so if you would like something else please help yourself". On several occasions we sat on the terrace till 12 pm without a problem.

Generally level of service is very high, people are very friendly.
The only improvment I can think of is shower gel and shampoos - for some reason its difficult to have foam.

There is great Nobu restaurant in the hotel - must, if you like Japanise food, waiters there exceptionally well trained, food delicious. Black God is fantastic - I have asked chef for the recipe and was able to recreate it at home. :-)

Cafe at the beach is a bit pricey but serve tasty food and very fast with delivery, we liked it.

Would definately reccomend this place for my family and friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear KatyaRussia;
I was happy to read that you were satisfied with the hotel's location and views, the service level, the comfort of your room, the breakfast variety and you found our staff to be friendly.
Concerning you comment on the Matsuhisa Athens restaurant, we are indeed very proud that Nobu has selected our resort in order to host this restaurant in the area of Athens.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in Athens.
Complex General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
Divani Apollon Suites
Divani Apollon Suites
#7 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Brasil Suites Hotel Apartments

Been to Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!