“amazing atmosphere”
Review of The Margi

The Margi
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I hadnt visited the Margi for some time now and i was happily surprised. The renovation at the pool makes the pool area and the bar mystical at nights. My girlfriend literally fell in love with the ambience and we are definatelly going back. I went around the area to 2 other lounges as well but honestly this was by far the best choice. There was also a new menu at the pool restaurant which was offering fewer choices than last time but the food quality was significantly better.

The room on the 2nd floor was renovated since last time as well, and there were new bigger state of the art showers. The tv in the room was not very large however they had a big conference room where we watched the euro football game very nice set up.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank stelsar
There are newer reviews for The Margi

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Although I spend many a while checking websites, reviews and articles about a restaurant, hotel or resort I’m visiting I like to think that I make my own mind up. After reading the reviews and having just spent eight days there I have mixed feelings and like one of the previous reviewers it was not what I expected.
Having already booked through their online reservations I had a question to ask about the location and therefore emailed the hotel. If you open up the fancy website and hit location, up pops a beautiful aerial view of the Vouliagmeni peninsular and the description to the right of it reads – ‘The boutique seaside hotel is conveniently located next to Athens’ most elegant sandy beach’, I wanted to confirm exactly where it is. The reply came back the day before we left and therefore too late. The hotel is in fact on a side road adjacent to the sea front, not only does this mean you are not ‘next to Athens’ most elegant beach’ but it also meant that sea view rooms are only just that, you can see the sea and a side view at that. I don't think the hotel can be seen in the aerial photo either!
Well we arrived we were greeted by Janet on reception who is and was for the whole stay a complete delight, beautiful to look at and as charming and helpful as could be. She kindly upgraded us to an executive room which meant we were on the top floor and safe from the noisy pool area which turned into the bar/lounge in the evening.
We were shown to our room and were offered the assistance of unpacking which we declined as we were keen to get into the sun. We went down to the pool area and were very disappointed. Apart from there being a very small pool the whole area was too small for a hotel of this size and a total of 3 double beds and 7 sun-beds were not enough. We could barely get a seat at the bar and even then had trouble getting a drink. A bad start!
We decided to explore the area. The sea front is about 5 minutes walk away and there are three beaches, a small free one which was packed, a larger one that charged 4€/person but the entrance was another 15 minutes away to the left and Astir beach which was 5 minutes to the right. Astir beach charges 25€/person at weekends and 15€/person during the week and we opted for that every day. Even though it was expensive you get good beds, umbrellas with buzzers for waiter service and clean toilets, restaurants etc and the prices once you are in there are cheaper than the hotel so it probably balances out.
That evening we came back from our ‘walk-about’ and headed straight to the bar/lounge/pool area. We were greeted by someone who seemed to give us the once over and we sat down on one of the double beds. A woman came over to us, I guess she was a hostess, and asked us to move to a small table with two chairs. I’m afraid we did flip and sorry that we did but the place was all but empty and we only wanted one drink in the area that was full earlier in the day. We also explained that we were hotel guests and had not been too pleased with being 'squeezed out' earlier that day. She stormed off exclaiming that she ‘didn’t want to deal with us’ , charming I thought. The chap that first ‘greeted’ us was apologetic and served our drinks. Having said that the following 7 nights were wonderful and the bar steward Magda was a delight. We didn’t see the ‘hostess’ again and the ‘greeter’ pleasant enough.
Our room was quiet, a good size, clean and comfortable. We didn’t eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast which, although it was a well presented, was unimaginative and quite often luke warm, that was the hot and cold dishes. The staff were very friendly and efficient although it did bug me that they came round filling up coffee but when I said I was drinking tea no-one thought to ask if I wanted a re-fill, I had to go and get my own.
There seem to be a lot of negative points here but we stayed for 8 nights and most of the problems happened only on the first day. We would recommend the hotel but beware, it is not on the beach and their sunbathing area is very small and has no sun by 2 pm.

Room Tip: A higher floor. Is it worth paying extra for 'sea view', probably not.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Robert H
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Have stayed at the Margi for 1 night, and i must say that except the location, and a partial sea view from my room, everything is terrible in this hotel.
The front desk people where extremely unpleasant, the room was old, small, and dirty, the architecture of the building is "obsolete"...!
I cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Alexandre B
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Having stayed at The Margi a number of times now the thing I have realised I value the most is the feeling of complete attachment that a stay here creates. There is something quite unique in the atmosphere that captivates your full attention from the moment you walk in. It seems that the intention was to create a place of sensual enchantment, an extremely romantic environment homage to a period in time when time simply stood still and the only thing that mattered was the indulgence of your innermost craving for comfort, peace and tranquility. A chance of a true escape.

Attempting to describe all the elements that make up this magical place would never live up to the actual experience. Starting from the incredible design and attention to detail to the ever so welcoming staff and the absolutely delicious food, a stay at The Margi will always leave you wanting to come back for more.

Many thanks to all the great people who dedicate their time to keep this beautiful place and it's awesome energy the way it is.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank MariaStoly
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel on at least three occasions in the past fours years. On each occasion there has been a discernible improvement in the hotel. Long may this continue

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PeripateticVintage
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Communal areas and location very good,some rooms are excellent,others on the small side,thus feel that you should base your decision to stay upon the price ,this is a 200 euro hotel max (unless u take a suite)! Hotel is now with slh.com thus our room 316 had been updated,bathrooms are small.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TERRY26
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I visited the Margi Hotel in late May. The first thing that strikes you is the feeling you get once you walk through the door. Though it is a luxury hotel, it has a "just like home" vibe. The view from the room is excellent, overlooking the Vouliagmeni area and the yacht club.
The other areas well also attended to detail. The pool area is perfect for relaxing, and gives the impression that you are somewhere far from Athens.
However, I would like to warn people travelling, that this is not a hotel that you would choose if you plan on commuting via public transportation. You can always order a taxi service from the concierge and a drive to Athens is only 20 minutes away.
The staff were very friendly and gave us great tips on things to do in the area.
In my opinion, this is a better choice than a central hotel, since distances in Athens greater area are not that great.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Natasha B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
Vouliagmeni Suites
Amarilia Hotel
#3 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Syntagma
Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Been to The Margi? Share your experiences!