“Very good but not exactly five stars...”

Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
Athens, Greece
“Very good but not exactly five stars...”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Divani Apollon Palace for four nights. I am going to start with the positive things and work my way to the negative ones!

First of all, the hotel is very clean, the decoration in the rooms might be a little outdated but it is really well preserved and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the TVs have a built in media player!

The pools were really clean as well!

The staff is really friendly, especially Mr.Panagiotakis (at the restaurant) and Ms.Anila (one of the house keepers)!

On to the negative things...

When you go to a 5* hotel you expect someone to take your luggage and show you to your room. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Not that I cannot find a room or carry my own luggage, I'm just stating what is expected from such a hotel.

The beach is nice but I would have liked a space with loungers that would be under shade the whole day. I have really pale, sensitive skin which resulted in my moving around my lounger all day to avoid the sun.

Secondly, the mini bar prices and the prices of food (we had booked half board but I checked the prices on the room service catalogue) are simply outrageous! I think it was around 16 euros for a club sandwich! Well... no... just no.

The aforementioned, I could live with, the worst part - though - was the food. The buffet had quite a variety but the quality of the cooking was below average. I'm sure the quality of the food itself was good but the cooking was not. The meat had been overcooked, the potatoes undercooked or left too long to cool down and went soggy etc. Desserts were also too sweet and far below average as well. This was the only thing I was really dissappointed about. I have stayed in four other 5* hotels in the past year and nowhere was the food that bad.

Breakfast, on the other hand, was really good! I really don't know what was going on with the dinner buffet!

My advice is to book your room (because you will enjoy it) but just not book half board and prefer to eat somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anodien1983
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review!

We are pleased to read that in general your stay with us was a pleasant one

About the prices you mention kindly note that our prices are in line with other 5* hotels in Athens. However we will look at this issue again.

Furthermore about the food at the dinner buffet. We are terribly sorry you felt this way. Divani Apollon Palace & SPA is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and as such pays extreme attention to all F&B areas. We are sorry your experience was not as memorable as we would like it to be.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again and make sure you get the true DIVANI experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was staying here for business, so if you are hoping to read about the spas etc you will be disappointed with my review. As a rather frequent business traveler I feel that the rooms were okay, big enough and with nice bathrooms, and there was a balcony from which I could see the church next door as well as a bit of the sea.What was a bit disappointing though was that wifi was not included in the room price and it was rather costly to get and not too fast. This is something both business and leisure travelers might find rather inconvenient. The breakfast was really nice with a lot of things to choose from and with a possibility to sit outside on the terrace overlooking the nice pool area. There are two pools, one "normal" one and one with salt water. They are big enough to swim in (instead of just soaking), something I appreciated. The hotel also has a "private beach", which you can access through a "tunnel" from the hotel. It is rather small but undoubtedly nice if you are on vacation as there are sun chairs and the water isn't too deep and rather clear. There's also a restaurant right at the beach overlooking the sea, which looked really nice. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to eat here so I cannot say more about that. All in all, a nice experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us at Divani Apollon Palace & SPA

Your positive feedback has bee shared with my team and it is really appreciated

We are looking forward to welcome you back in Divani Apollon Palace & SPA and for leisure purposes

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is realy close to the beach which is nice. For the Athens area this beach is ok but not the most beautiful one. The hotel is nice and clean though not very modern. The interior is a bit oldfashioned. The spa and gym in the spa is modern and very good. But beware: extremely expensive! The hotel also has a small gym which is dangerous to use. The equipment is old and rusted. None of the three treadmills were working. It is a shame for a five star hotel. Overall nice for a day or two but I would definately NOT spend my holiday here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for leaving a feedback following your recent stay with us at Divani Apollon Palace & SPA

Your overall positive feedback has been shared with my team and it is highly appreciated

About some prices that you have found expensive kindly note that they are in line with other luxury hotels in the area. However we will check on this again

Also kindly note that Divani Apollon Palace & SPA is a member of the leading hotels of the world and that is SPA is the biggest in Athens and the only one offering thalassotherapy session.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our property
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 13, 2013

As usual my best place to stay at in Athens - I checked in on the 6th August and today is 13th August.
I was a bit surprised about some un-happy guests that had some complains but one sentence replies to that "there's no accounting for taste".
I visit this hotel at least 2-3 times every year and this time I am spending the longest ever stay in Athens and not on an island and we chosen to stay at Divani... As usual very cozy very clean very good people - it is true the past week the hotel was very busy and you could wait for 5-10 min to get your breakfast and this is something that will not upset anyone if he just decides to go for breakfast at 10.30 while the restaurant is about to close!
I will anyway keep you updated about changes the coming 2 weeks...
If you are not going for an island and have to stay in Athens - then go to Divani - real value for money.

Room Tip: Chose the room overlooking the pool and chose from 3rd floor and up
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tewfiks4
Dear Guest

It is a pleasure to read that you are very satisfied each time with your stay at Divani Apollon palace

We are looking forward to your final review

All you comments have been shared with my team and are highly appreciated

Thank you again and enjoy the rest of your vacations
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised to read all these great reviews about this hotel. I wonder, have I stayed at a different hotel?!
I would not give this hotel 3 stars let along the 5 stars it was granted. How in the world did this hotel make it to the Leading Hotels of the World???
Anyway, to get back to the hotel itself: old hotel,side sea view rooms means that if you climb out the balcony of the room and look to the right, you might get a glimpse of the sea, horrible and old furniture in the room tacky prints, on the wall, the breakfast room is undersized thus when the hotel is full you have to wait for 15 min to get seated at a table, bad food, the beach ( hotel's beach) is extremely small and ugly considering that the hotel is located in Greece and not Sweden, swimming pool is surounded by 80's brick coloured tiles and I could go on like this for ages.

Anyway, don't stay at this hotel. Vouliagmeni area is too nice to waste on a bad hotel experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sotouke
Dear Guest

We are sorry that your recent stay at Divani Apollon was not as remarkable as we would like it to be

Please note that the hotel is fully refurnished, is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World since 2004 and also has the biggest spa in Attica Region and the only one with Thalassotherapy sessions

We hope that we will have another chance to prove to you the uniqueness of Divani Apollon Palace & SPA

Looking forward to welcome you again in our property
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I now choose this hotel whenever I visit Athens, it is a perfect mix for business and having some R&R. The service is excellent and the location perfect.. highly recommended. I will be back in September for a week...

Room Tip: All rooms that I have stayed in have sea view - it is nice to have a room at the front directly oive...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mullo1959
Dear Guest

It is a pleasure that you enjoyed and were satisfied with your recent stay here.

Your warm input regarding the services rendered and the facilities of the hotel has been passed on to my team and is highly appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in September.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Divani Apollon Palace. The hotel is not new but everything is well maintained. The room was large, comfortable, and well appointed. The bathroom was modern and it did not flood with the shower. The staff was very attentive and helpful. A wonderful convenience is that they offer a free shuttle to Syntagma square in the center of Athens. I attached a copy of the schedule. You can spend a few days on the beach and still, easily, visit Athens.

The beach is across the road, but you can walk directly from the hotel through a tunnel. The beach is small, but very nice and the hotel keeps it clean and private. Any trespassers are quickly and discreetly turned around. We always found chairs available.

There are 2 large pools, one with salt water. The normal pool has a great jacuzzi, very large.

Breakfast was plentiful and offered a lot of choices. If you sit in the terrace you have a wonderful view of the pools and the sea.

I would go back to the Divani Apollon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso, responded to this review, July 31, 2013

Thank you for choosing Divani Apollon Palace for your stay in Athens

We are delighted to read that you were more than happy with your stays and all the services offered by the hotel. Your comments have been shared with our staff and are greatly appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel during your next visit to Athens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
Amarilia Hotel
Amarilia Hotel
#5 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Brasil Suites Hotel Apartments

Been to Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso? Share your experiences!