“Very nice overnight stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West

Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paiania
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Very nice overnight stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

After reading previous reviews, I was quite worried about the shuttle service, especially because our flight into Athens arrived just after 9pm. Luckily, the shuttle service worked out perfectly for us both to and from the airport.
Shuttle: exit the airport from exit 5, turn right and walk a short ways to the sign that says "tourist buses". There is a parking lot to the right hand side where the shuttle comes (don't cross towards the main airport parking lot). It is dark green and says Holiday Inn and can fit 8 passengers. Ours departed within minutes of arriving. Not sure of the evening schedule but in the morning we were given the choice of departing at 7:30, 8:30 or 9:30am. Takes 10-15 minutes to get to the hotel.

No one else was checking in when we arrived and the process was quick and efficient.

Our room was very nice and modern, quiet, very comfortable bed and pillows. Had a good sleep.

Exercise room isn't fantastic but it's better than nothing. The tv is very poor though. Pool area looks nice but we didn't have a chance to use it.

We booked on hotwire and were very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Average experience. Wi-fi is not free and even in the business room, you are given access only for a half hour. The bathroom's cleanliness was sub-par. Personally, I felt it's a pricey deal for an overnight layover with no wifi included; but since they're the only airport option besides the pricier Sofitel, it felt like we were stuck with it. Fortunately, the shuttles worked out quickly for us both ways, so that was a relief.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Mishti06,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the compliments about our shuttle service. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

the hotel has been redone a few years ago, but the building still shows signs of age. big comfortable beds and decent-sized rooms. The staff was polite though not warm (is everyone in Athens melancholic due to the economic situation...?) and helped us put up an extra bed in one of the rooms and then another extra bed when that one broke down in the middle of the night.
Everything seemed clean enough until my son made the mistake of looking under the sheet at the mattress - which made him gag. I will spare you details. Just don't look.
We needed to dine late and were told the restaurant would be open, but we found out that the only place open was the bar which had very limited dining options and no room ( we had to take a table at the smoker's section though thankfully no one actually smoked when we were there). the food was ok.
They serve breakfast from 6am which is great if you have an early flight but pricey (17Euros!).
The airport shuttle is convenient but it took us a long time to find it at the airport as no signs point to it.
for the price we paid (we booked through hotwire.com) we were happy with what we had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Paiania hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Holiday Inn Athens is a great location coming or going to Athens. This is not a, typical European hotel - much more American.
First, there is a shuttle bus at the airport that runs about every hour on the hour. That is a plus in itself.
The hotel is a very modern facility. The rooms are outstanding. The TV's need updating and the channel selection is sparse. Most of the hotels we stayed at while in Greece had a better offering. The bathrooms are spacious and a delight to use.
Free in room internet is not available. This is always a sore point with me. Holiday Inn Express properties offer free internet and free breakfast and cost less with not much discernible room difference. At check.in you can request a code and use the computers in their business center. We were told our tablets would not work but we entered the codes and were able to get on the internet wirelessly and use our own devices.
Stay away from the mini-bar. A can of coke will set you back 5 € (about $6.50).
Right outside the front door is a service station with a mini-mart where you can purchase sodas and deli sandwiches. Very handy.
Would definitely stay again .

Room Tip: I wouldn't worry too much about room view, there is really nothing to see. The hotel is in what...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Most of the reviewers compain about the poor shuttle bus service, we had bad experiences here in the past, however this time it was excellent. We booked for the morning shuttle as Greece was on a general strike and had no problem.
Restuarant prices are still too high.Threre is a fast food place at the garage a few yards away which has prepackaged salads and cakes.
The walls are thin and considering the great decor no money was spent on quiet self closing doors. The staff are very good.
The hotel is literally on a motorway with nothing near except the motorway and office blocks. X93/95 bus runs from outside to Athens and the Airport.

Room Tip: The bus runs from outside the terminal and you can buy tickets form the helfull kiosk if you miss th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I will try to be short. I only stayed for a short time, but I had a bad experience. I will make the main points:

- The room was quite nice overall, but at several places it was really dirty and had dirty glassware. Also, a few things, including non-vital parts of the toilet, were broken.
- The staff was either extremely professional and friendly or almost the opposite. This is not 5-star hotel acceptable.
- The restaurant served bad food. Probably the worst one I can remember in a hotel restaurant. Simple as that. And they didn't seem very bothered about it. The breakfast was ok, but dinner was frankly unacceptable.

These are main points. It's quite a nice hotel in some respects, but the low level of part of it makes a bad total impression of a five star one. I really try to consider a I higher grade, but with their dinner performance... It is just not possible.

Internet is not included but costs a 9.5 EUR extra. This has minor effect on the grade.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank N L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear N L,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the poor cleanliness, poor customer service and the poor dinner selection. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I really just want to say the entire visit was disappointing. I am a Platinum IHG Member, so I can't imagine what the service would be like without that Priority Level.

I just needed a place to stay to get sleep before my flight. I knew I was going to be checking in late and flying out early, so I chose a hotel near the airport with a shuttle that I felt I could trust their service.

There were 2-4 choices that were less expensive, equal or higher quality, same services, and breakfast included.

No free internet. So I bought it. 9.5 Euros. I was told I was only allowed 1 device for that code and I was not allowed any other code.

It was such a hassle to get a key that didn't work for the first room. I will say that the guy at the front desk did run a key up to us for another room. However, it was only one...when I requested 2 and it didn't work. So I was left standing in the hallway for another 10 minutes while he went back down to get more keys to the same room. I was waiting for a room for 25 minutes after check in due to this key situation.

It took me over 1 hour to check in when all I wanted to do was check in, upload/download work emails, and sleep. Then it took another 30+ minutes to get the internet handled so I could rest knowing that my work emails had been sent.

I was also disappointed when I arrived because there were TWO desk agents when I arrived and they both were busy with something on their computers and it was almost a punishment for one of them to look up and check me in. Once the check in started I was fine but I feel like someone should have made eye contact and made me feel welcome. I felt from the very first entrance I might have made the wrong choice.

I rarely complain...In fact I usually like to send in complements more often than complain, but this was just too much for me to deal with. I feel my my membership and status is worthless at this hotel.

I would say it was about 1.5 hours of extra time dealing with things...when I chose this brand because I felt I knew exactly what to expect and it would save me time and hassle.

I will say the shuttle was prompt and the driver was nice. So this hotel has that going for it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ralph H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paiania
Sofitel Athens Airport
Coco-Mat Hotel Nafsika
Coco-Mat Hotel Nafsika
#1 of 10 in Kifisia
4.5 of 5 stars 400 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Athens Attica Avenue Airport West? Share your experiences!