“Don't bother”

Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Glyfada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had an afternoon and evening between flights at Athens airport , had already seen high points of Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, and Archeological Museum, and were not keen to get into swarm of tourists in Plaka. Sofitel hotel at airport concierge recommended Glyfada. So we took city bus 96X to Glfada for something close to do. Boy, this was a disappointment. The beaches are terrible there- sad. If you have been to US beaches, and the white, clean sands of Florida, this would make you cry. We saw a few people in Oct still swimming, lying on narrow rather small, rocky beach, with litter strewn around. The swimming area was right next to small yacht harbor. It was very quiet almost November 1st and a weekday, but the water just could not have been very clean right by the boats. Apartments look out on busy street. We went in few stores, but nothing much. There is a Byzantine Church that is very beautiful. And found one over-priced restaurant on beach- that was quiet, and nice for lunch, and sitting on terrace to enjoy the water scene. Maybe we missed what else was there, but we didn't see much. we took bus back to airport. Could not find much else there to see or do. It is about 30 min by bus from airport.

1  Thank KAP245
in 5 reviews
"snorkeling"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I remember as a child Glyfada having just one bakery, visited often by Demis Roussos, 'God' I'm showing my age now. Yes, the cakes were adorable.
I also remember Glyfada being such a small village that it only had one bank, 'Citi' bank, and you could clearly see where it started and ended, and also the start of the next village Voula.
Today, unless you are sitting in the new Tram, you would not know the boundaries between Glyfada and Voula unless you see the crowds of people get on and off.
Glyfada has become such a busy and large place that its best to appreciate it by night. Some how the nght light make things appear more clealy.
Glyfada now hosts a McDonalds, Pizza Hut and a Goody's all next to each other. The only good thing about this that they are all next to each other.

The beach in Glyfada is called Asterias. It is a private beach andyou hav eto pay to enter this. This in my opinion was one of the best beaches in the Athens Riveria area. Even the Greek Football National team used to hire it before and international for a pre match preperation, and lets face it Greece were the 2004 European Champions. However, in my last visit to Athens, as I sat on the E22 bus I could not believe the state of the beach from the outside. The amount of litter on display made along with the rusty fence made the place look not just run down but abandoned. It was then that I decided to stay on the bus.

Going back to the 70s and early 80s all I could remember was a hand full of buses going through Glyfada; about two to Athens and two to Piraeus port. Today with the introduction of the overhead tram line and the near by Metro at Elliniko, Glyfada has become a 'mad' place for transportation with many stops in every direction. I even experianced Greek locals asking Non-Greek tourists for information !

We saw many properties for sale. This was unbelievable many years ago. One could not find a property in Glyfafa for it was a well sought after area. This begged the question would one, or could one, actually live there?

In my opinion, if you like a busy city life, then Glyfada is the place for you. It seems to go on 24 hours. Shopping facilities are probably the best in all of Greece, and could can also find an American kebab and American Champagne also. However, if you prefer a quiter life, a clean and beautiful beach, the Athens Riviera then look elsewhere.

5  Thank HCH100PCOP
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The beach was clean,not crowded and the sun was shining. I liked swimming early in the morning it reminds me of my hometown. Maybe someday people write about it too.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The beach was nice and clean just a bit roakie and not much sand !! For a better beach I would recomend one down about a few miles at voliagmenie

1  Thank MikeSafety01