“My experience”

Cape Sounio, Grecotel Exclusive Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sounio
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The key mechanism is very bad, not friendly. I would spend each time 15 minutes trying to enter the room. No internet connection in the room. No privacy regarding the balcony or the bathroom. For one glass of water during the lunch they would charge me the whole 1 l which I did not drink. With my bottle they would give water to other guests and they would charge them too for the whole bottle they did not drink. This was not correct. Other: view, nature, flowers, food perfect.

9  Thank DebbyChue
There are newer reviews for Cape Sounio, Grecotel Exclusive Resort

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at Cape Sounio for 4 days last week. Stunned to find that there was NO INTERNET connection for guests, most of whom were conference participants. Some guests had been assured via e-mail that there would be wifi in the rooms so imagine the frustration and incredulity at finding no wifi connection in the hotel and no telephone connection in the room. Telephone was reconnected after a couple of days - long after a near nervous breakdown of one of the guests who needed to keep in urgent contact with family.

The bath in the room scenario is a pathetic idea. Fortunately I wasn't sharing! Reading lights were ineffective and the furniture was more appropriate for a horror movie. I went to the mini market outside the main entrance for bottled water. Bath robes had seen better days and were certainly not generous. Cupboards were dated. The bathroom area needed attention.

Food: A coffee cost 5 euro!! Wine was expensive - the plastic bottles mentioned above were 8 euros each! As the conference progressed, the food became less varied and more canteen style.

We didn't have time to sample the pool which looked appealing. The door was a nightmare to open and close and the lock was a challenge. I was terrified I would lock myself in - I wasn't too worried by the difficulty getting into my room since I could call on fellow conference participants to rescue me. But with no telephone in the room and locked in, I felt I was incarcerated.

Checking in on line for departure was a long drawn out affair and like a previous reviewer, getting the luggage brought from the room to the lobby took 40 minutes and then only after I walked to the reception to demand that a buggy be despatched to collect it. The staff, certainly the best asset of this pathetic outfit, just cannot cope at a very busy time. You can't wheel your luggage to an elevator and ride down to the lobby - the rooms are arranged around the site which is basically a series of terraces on a steep hill. Luggage has to be collected by a golf cart style buggy - there are only so many available at a time.

The staff were all pleasant and as helpful as they could be BUT they are not magicians and they have to charge the exhorbitant prices that are listed. No member of staff can produce a telephone connection or internet connection that is simply not available. Having a conference at this establishment means that the management knew a large group of people would require instant communication facilities and not providing such basic services is unforgiveable.

I don't know what category this belongs to but I would place the actual room at 3 star; communication services at 2 star and physical location at 4, if you get the sea view room - otherwise you might as well stay at a local farmhouse.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view - preferably a view of the Temple of Poseidon. Make sure you can manage the doo...
3  Thank Anna F
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for three days, and the cracks certainly appeared. The location may be magnificent, but that is what you pay for, certainly NOT the service. The hotel had recently opened after its winter break, and there was no internet available. I had been counting on that so i could do work while my wife attended a conference in the hotel. The exterior of the rooms needed maintenance - exposed wood needed to be revarnished etc. Inside the rooms are dated, and could certainly do with a makeover.
If the food provided to the conference was anything to go by, the chef really needs to be changed. It was bland and of the quality you expect at a motorway services.
On the day of departure, I got locked out of the room, and it took two trips to reception to get my key to work to gain entry, the sort of service you do not expect from an 'exclusive' resort.
This is certainly NOT a five star resort, or five star anything. Would I stay at this hotel again, not by choice.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb a mountain, or have to rely on a buggy ride to get to your room, choo...
2  Thank Rob M
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed there for 3 days with my boyfriend and friends who had a 6 month old at the time. My bf and I had our own room and our friends had their own room, but we were only a few doors away so it was close enough to visit in a few minutes but far enough that we didn't hear any baby cries at night ;)

The hotel itself had gorgeous landscaping, several different buildings dedicated to various activities (e.g. spa/gym, kids area, main building with the lobby had the breakfast served upstairs and meeting/business rooms in the basement). Everyone working there was amazing and jumped at our every need. They really seemed to want to work there which was incredible in making us feel welcome.

The breakfast each morning was amazing - tons of food, lots of variety, and it changed from day to day. The pool was spacious enough for everyone to swim and lounge around in. The beach was nice but the water was cold and I'm more into pools anyway so it worked out. The enclosed hot tub was cool and not many people seem to use it so my friends and I had the place to ourselves when we were there. My friend tried one of the spa services and loved it.

There's a small enclosed area that my bf and I found when we went for a walk that a bunch of animals were in - looked almost like a petting zoo of sorts. There were two peacocks, one of which was making a ton of noise, and it was the funniest thing. Seek it out if you're there!

The only downsides for me - the bathroom was open to the rest of the room so it seemed like it lacked privacy. The toilet, for example, was in a separate room, but the door was opaque and you could still see the outline of the other person. Not great for someone who likes their toilet time to be private. Be comfortable with who you're sharing the room with! Another con for me is that everything seemed to close early. I wanted a snack in the evening and walked over to the mini mart and it was closed already. It seemed like once 8pm hit, everything shut down.

Even with those two potential downsides, I enjoyed my stay and would go back for their fresh juices at breakfast and the friendly employees.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liz C
Reviewed January 24, 2013

i was really dissapointed when i woke up from the ants which were walking on the bed and we ask for new sheets but they answered us that they could not do anything as it is really early. the breakfast buffet was really good but the area was full of flies but the food was uncovered

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank aspasianaxaki
Reviewed November 7, 2012

this hotel has one of the most amazing views, facing the sea . the famous sunset of sounio and the temple of poseidon. What a pitty that it does not stand out to that scenery. Don't get me wrong, the place is not bad, but i just kind of got the feeling that it has not been taken care of. maintenance, gardening, service...not terrible but second class. I did not like the room. I hated the bath IN the room, nothing but a shower curtain separating the tub from the room and a glass door separating the toilet from the room. Water coming out everytime we flushed the toilet. medium sized bed and rather hard to lie on. the room furniture looked, or was in fact, old. the balcony did not offer any privacy.
the room was very far from the reception, most of the times we had to use the golf cars, which was tiring.
bad service at the pool, dirty , really dirty towels at the pool.
nice food, only tasted the buffet though.
we took a standard room so maybe the really expensive villas are better.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chicabianca
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was our second visit to this perfect 5 star hotel. Amazing!!!. Top class service , excellent breakfast and dinner buffet (we had the romantic offer). Recommended for sure...Just have in mind that this place is suitable to relax and there are no other places (bars, restaurants, cafes) near by...

Room Tip: Have a sea view room or the one with the private pool (if you can afford it)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StergGR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sounio
Grand Resort Lagonissi
The Margi
#2 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso
The Porto Kea Suites Hotel

Been to Cape Sounio, Grecotel Exclusive Resort? Share your experiences!