Cape Sounio, Grecotel Exclusive Resort
Aegeon Beach Hotel(Sounio)(Great Value!)
$156
$75
Hotel Calypso(Anavyssos)
  • Pool
Hotel Pantheon(Markopoulo Mesogeas)
All reviewsmain buildingasian restaurantposeidon templekids clubprivate poolsea viewfamily bungalowbeach bardeluxe bungalowbreakfast and dinnerhalf boardspa arearelaxing holidaythe general managerend of the seasonlocal tavernasstunning location
Reviewed October 13, 2012

As is usual with the Grecotel chain, the design and layout of the complex is wonderful. Built around the ruins of a 3rd century BC settlement facing the Temple of Poseidon across the bay and set in charming gardens, the location is stunning. We had a sea view bungalow with perfect temple views. This was our fourth hotel in a two week trip, and we paid over double what we had at previous locations for what frankly was an inferior room. The furnishings in general, not just in the room, are becoming tired, and at these prices I feel more money could be invested on upkeep. Having said that, given the location, the pools available, the Grecoland kindergarten service, and the sumptuous breakfast buffet I was ultimately happy to pay the higher rate. I was, however, shocked at the prices in bars and restaurants. 6 Euros for 400 ml of Greece brewed Heineken is just a rip off. Prices for standard fare are between 30% and 100% higher than usual. Calling it a Sounio burger doesn't make it any better or worth more than the bifteki in the taverna down the road (it wasn't as good either). We had intended to use the spa, but just laughed at the prices. The main beach is nowhere near as big as the photo on the website seems to suggest; were I cynical I would ask whether Photoshop may have been involved. I imagine it could get very crowded in the summer. All in all it is worth staying here, but I would stay in low season and eat out.

Room Tip: Ask for a temple view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AssyntJonte
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have booked a bungalow for 1 Sunday night (great deal 99€).
Very friendly staff and great location.
We have inside the resort whatever we want, very big resort with a great pool!

First of all the bungalow was big, well equipped (complimentary wine&fruit), elegant with a good feel of privacy.
The best part is the huge jacuzzi - the only privacy between it and the bed was a curtain but this is not a problem if you are a couple. It is very romantic.

This hotel has the best breakfast I have ever eaten!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KYRIAKI_B_athens
Manos O, Director of Sales at Cape Sounio, Grecotel Exclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest;
We read your review and are very happy to know that your stay at the Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive Resort was an enriching experience. We value your comments and they will be shared with our associates.
We sincerely hope to see you again soon for your next stay in Sounio.
Sincerely yours,

Manos Orfanos
Director of Sales

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Visited the hotel for 2 days during September 2012.

The location (facing Posidon s temple) is perfect and that was the main reason behind our choice.

Service was good, the room was ok, but 2 things were absolutely unacceptable!

Breakfast : Eggs (in any type) , bacon , sausages were cold.

Diner at Yali restaurant: While dinning there, 3 huge RATS appeared!!!!

The reaction of the waitress was an akward smile, and nothing else!!

Nobody came to apologise and i i am sure i heard a waiter laughing!

Nothing else to say....RATS during dinner....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Elias P
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed in this hotel with my partner for 6 days. I would not hesitate to put Very Good mark for this hotel although i believe they have all chances to get to excellent when working a bit more on renewing/maintaining facilities and reducing the prices for Spa as they are ridiculously expensive.
Service is very good, whenever we needed help we got it within 5-10 minutes. Personnel (e.g. in the restaurants) sometimes looked a bit unexperienced, but it was compensated by their enthusiasm and willingness to serve you well. Food was of excellent quality and variety, so we were not "tired" of hotel catering even after 6 days ;-) Internet wifi is not working in most of the rooms, but we found a solution of sitting with laptops on the terrace in the main building. Also, because my husband had some urgent business and needed internet all the time we were provided with Vodafone stick to use mobile internet in the room.
What i would advise to pay attention when booking is the location on the room: in some reviews i saw concerns about "walking distances" ... this is very relative and distances are funny there even from the remote bungalows (5-7 min maximum with slow walking), however if you have problems with stairs or slopes, this may be an issue. I followed the recommendation to stay in 500 row with sea view, but unfortunately not all rooms there have a sea view, rooms 514-513 had a nice view on the wall of the house in front. Also 500 row is closer to the beach but further from main building were all evening activities are happening. So we changed our room to 111 and did not regret it although it required some walking to the beach. Rooms 111 and 112 have an excellent view on the temple and sea.
Worth to mention is also that hotel organized a rental car for us for one day so we had a great tour around Temple, Lavrio and surrounding villages.

Room Tip: room 111-112 excellent sea and temple view, but it is upper on the hill, so requires some walk to the beach room 514-513 is close to spa and beach, but has a view on the house wall in front although rooms 518-517 seemed to have an excellent view on temple and sea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taratuta

Dear Guest;

We read your review and are happy to know that your stay at the Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive Resort was an enriching experience.

We value your comments which will be shared with our associates.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon for your next stay in Cape Sounio.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The setting for this hotel is quite magnificent, but after experiencing the facilities, service and food, I feel that this hotel is seriously over-rated as a Business destination. As a holiday destination, it will not feature in my top 100 either.

Internet access in my room was virtually non-existent (hotel staff actually informed me that there is no connectivity in the room) and in the main building and meeting rooms it is slow (wi-fi g rather than n) and dysfunctional at best; requiring regular resetting of equipment to restore connectivity that dropped off too many times to count.

The room setting reminded me of council housing in its prime, the bed was too low and only mid-grade, the room full of cobwebs and the fit-and-finish second-rate, at best. The grounds looked unkempt, weeds were sprouting all over and cardboard boxes were lying next to the road close to the tennis courts for the full 4 days I stayed there.

Apparently the hotel doesn't cater for adults in their dining room for lunch, but there is no signage to the fact anywhere and staff quite rudely "chased" me away because I was not younger than thirteen and made vague suggestions of a restaurant close to the beach or pool?!? Definitely not something you want to hear within half an hour of expecting a taxi to the airport!!

Business folk, I suggest you avoid this hotel and holiday makers think twice!!!!

Room Tip: If you expect internet access in your room, don't even bother coming here!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business