“pure hippie” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Youth Hostel Los Amigos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flores
Youth Hostel Los Amigos
Ranked #1 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Poland
“pure hippie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

i tried two low cost hostels in Flores, and that one was soooo much better. great price, great atmosphere, nice food. cheapest bus-transport/trip tickets in the town. hammocks with all the colors, a lot of green. lizards running all over the place and the party ambience. i could leave my stuff in the dorm, nothing was ever stolen even if i didnt use the lock. shared toilets and showers...well low-cost style, but OK. computers with internet, wifi, lockers, books exchange... to me staff seemed very friendly i cant complain, but i speak Spanish, maybe those who complained didnt?;)
ask them for kayak and rope swing! you won't regret!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This place has a fun common area with bars and hammocks, very easy to meet people. The staff is nice to lend me locks to use the storage.

However, the shared bathroom is a bit dirty, and the room isn't very clean either. My biggest complaint is that the staff is not very friendly - questions are answered in a very curt way and not very informative. They are more interestes in selling drink, but again the food came slow for me (30 mins wait for a snack).

Overall, an okay place and doesn't match the hype i heared

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a wonderful hostel, quite big, lots of places to socialise, a great atmosphere. Decent food at OK prices. Its hard to book when its full so often, so my friends and i were in separate rooms. There's big lockers in the rooms and small charging lockers by reception (didn't fit my tablet). My room didn't have enough plugs, but my friends' dorm had plenty. Good WiFi all over. Clean beds and OK bathrooms, hot showers. My problem with this place is that it had rats and mice which we all saw and heard on the dorm room roofs very often. This may be an issue on the island, but it was pretty gross. The staff are very nice and helpful and the tours desk is great. I would stay here a night again but not longer.

Room Tip: I stayed in a quiet 4 person dorm. My friends stayed in the big dorm to the right of the reception a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Den367
Leon, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had read many good reviews about this hostel and we were so impressed with the running of the hostel from the minute we arrived. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and when the computer wasn't working the guy organising all the tours let me use his own computer to upload my photos. The food is great...a real mix of local food and classics like burgers etc. The breakfasts are also delicious, all the meals are big portions and pretty good value we thought! Boiling hot showers which were amazing and even though our private room opened right onto the main communal area, we slept so well as everyone goes upstairs around 9pm to the night bar so not to keep people awake. You can book any tour/day trip/shuttle from the hostel at the best prices around. They will also ring other hostels and reserve beds for you if you need. Really great hostel, definitely recommended.

1 Thank Pols_07
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I felt like the whole time we were in Guatemala we heard good thing about this place. The common area is great and it has a nice feel to it, it's easy to meet people etc. The downfall is that they've established themselves as a party hostel and because of that, well.. It's dirty, loud, there are kids hanging around flores not doing anything and feeding an ex pats pocket because they never leave the hostel, rather than going out and supporting local businesses. Also, I didn't sleep there one night where someone didn't have sex in my dorm room. Their tours to tikal ARE excellent though and they offer good prices via their tour companies.. However we did take their shuttle to caye caulker and our driver was drunk and driving slowly to compensate, we were three hours late and upon arrival the driver could not provide us with our connecting tickets for the ferry, which we had paid for and told us we had to pay again.
So overall we were pretty disappointed but met some pretty great people? I guess you have to pick your battles but knowing all of this I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Frestonian90
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed for two nights in a private room. This place has such an incredible feel to it. Its fun, cheap and serves awesome food.My wife and I are both vegetarians and they serve very tasty meatless options. The little island of Flores is a must visit if you are traveling eastern Guatemala, and This hostel is a must stay if you're in Flores. Just to show you how accommodating this place is, they have a sound proof room that opens at 9pm for the guests to party.

1 Thank stormcrowe
Ed, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Emailed prior to arriving to make a booking as came highly recommended. Never received a response. My name was recognised in passing at reception although no acknowledgement of a booking given.
Upon arrival shown to a private room up above the main hostel lounge/bar. We were assured there would be little disturbance from below even though the room had no closing window and was akin to a corrugate iron shack.
Payment for all requested nights was demanded in full, which has never happened to me before, and we refused settling only for the first night. We we firmly informed payment was necessary for the next night by 10am the next day.
Our room was no respite from the loud and jovial antics of the crowd below. When someone walked past our door the iron roof rattled and banged. We overheard every conversation as the night progressed and we attempted to sleep. When the party was moved to a back room, we settled for the soundbites and smells of smokers returning for a regular fresh breath of foul air. Catching an hour or two of sleep at 3:30 am we now asked the people below to be quiet. They then left the building. Whether guests or not I will never know.
By 6 am we were awake again, the noise of breakfast and fragrance of the first ciggie of the day bringing forth swift and grumpy conciseness.
I requested to be moved, and a sincere and apologetic member of staff moved us to the other property with an ensuite for the same price as our previous torment, and we settled the bill that morning. By 2 pm a curt and abrasive member of staff was outside our door demanding we pay for the room. An explanation of what happened was dismissed that such levels of disturbance were 'normal.' Once it was accepted we had moved room without treachery, she proceeded to call the member of staff who had acted so graciously in the morning to tell him off, ushering me back to the room with a short flick of the hand and disappearing upstairs where her tone and volume increased in severity.
The food was tasty but expensive. I spied a pet goat, although adorable, meandering in between the chefs preparing food. Perhaps an acceptable part of rural Guatemalan life to have livestock in close proximity to food preparation, in a modern and expensive hostel kitchen in the interests of disease control I would expect better. Indeed I have yet to see goats in any other Central American kitchen with such a state of vitality.
There are few toilets for the many guests, with frequent queues. The decoration is pleasant and well thought out, the rooms clean. Water is hot and wifi reasonable to fast. Check out is a ghastly 10 am.
Happy hour is certainly cheap and the atmosphere of guests is upbeat but I would recommend staying at one of the many hostels round the corner and just visiting for the party and facilities. It seems telling that the staff member who showed concern and quality of service was reprimanded when his actions were uncovered by his seniors.

Room Tip: There is a third toilet throught the back room if the queue for the other two becomes insufferable.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles