“The essence of a hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flores
Youth Hostel Los Amigos
Ranked #1 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Valencian Country, Spain
“The essence of a hostel”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This place is already well recognized. Friendly staff, hippie atmosphere. Clean, neat, reasonable price. Helpful with organizing things.. I enjoyed my stay there a lot.

It is not a place for people looking for a secluded and calm housing.

This is a typical hostel with lots of people going in and out, friendly, open and always happy to meet you. The hammocks in common area are just waiting for you to relax. Nice smoothies you can get at the bar will help you with that. Right in the center of Flores. Great for socializing.

They also have huge lockers to leave your whole bag inside. Really big ones. For free! Mind you need your own locker. Also, there is a limited number of those. If there is nothing available you can also leave your bag behind the bar. It is helpful eg. when going to Tikkal in the morning, you can check out and leave your bags to collect later for further journey.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed here on my way to Tikal. I would recommend this place to everyone. It has different room options, and the prices are very reasonable. I stayed in the dorm, it was big, but it was a good bed and I was lucky the people in my room were quiet. Since I was travelling alone it was very convient that the hotel also organizes tours to Tikal, I did the sunsettour and it was incredible; The guide Julio was the best, and it the tour was less expensive then in other places! The breakfast was great, homemade granola was the bomb, the veggieburger for dinner was ok. It has a great bar, and after 9pm another bars opens in the back, so the music cant be heared in the hostal. The atmosphere was very relaxed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah_Belgica
Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Everyone you meet on your travels who is going to or has been to Flores, stays here. Its basic, pretty good bar/restaurant, decent wifi and interesting decor. We stayed for 1 night and booked a private room, which was great (and cheap). It is also close to everything in beautiful flores. Had trouble booking online but were advised by other travellers that it is best to call up. We also booked our tikal tour and bus back to mexico through the hostel (signs everywhere at front desk noting they do not take responsibility for dodgy services outside of the hostel). Los Amigos will definitely stand out as one of the most interesting hostels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Book a private room, its away from the bar/restaurant noise and you get warm showers!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in dorm 18 which has 4 beds. It is a basically an outside shack in the garden. This was fine until there was torrential rain and the roof leaked somewhat. The beds were ok but the room was small and cramped. We were not given keys and advised to leave the room open so security could be improved. There were lockers inside the room though you needed your own padlock. However I noticed by reception there were more lockers with padlocks supplied, I don't know if they were free or not.

The bar and common areas are very good. I found the food to a good standard and don't think it was particularly over priced. The service was good and generally the staff were helpful.

The only real problem I encountered was when I booked a bus to Belize which I booked through the hostel. I checked out and the bus was due to collect me soon after. I waited and waited and no bus came. I asked the staff if they could phone the bus company and they began insisting I was not there on time and it was my fault I had missed it. I had been waiting for an hour and they knew I'd been there on time as I had checked out! The attitude was shockingly bad. They were saying that I would need to buy another ticket for the next day. However they were able to call the bus company and arrange to put me on a bus the next day instead and after some negotiating they rightfully agreed to not charge me for this! I later met a girl who this had also happened to so it seemed to be a reoccurring problem. I wonder if it is some kind of scam tbh to make people stay longer and spend more money, I don't know.

Overall I had a good time at this hostel and found it to be a fun place to hang out. I'm just sad that the one bad experience left me with a bitter taste about it.

Room Tip: Not 18 as it is in the garden and isn't great when it rains due to leaks
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The hostel itself is worth a visit. Dorm beds were cheap, clean and comfortable. The dorms seemed quite busy but we opted for the ¨cheaper dorm beds and had the whole room to ourselves :) Computers and wifi were available which was great. Nice atmosphere- good place to meet other like minded travellers, and nice, friendly staff. Also delicious food at the restaurant- had the veggie burger two nights in a row and some delicious green smoothie in the morning.

One thing I would like to mention however is BE CAREFUL when you book your tour to Tikal (which I´m assuming if you are staying in Flores you will likely be visiting). There are MANY tour agencies in Tikal, but almost ALL of them seem to be scams. We booked our tour to Tikal with MAYAN PRINCESS, right next to Hostel Los Amigos, because it was a few bucks cheaper. We were supposed to be picked up at 6am and by 8am were still waiting in the hostel lobby. Mayan Princess was of course closed the whole time we were waiting. Other travellers were also waiting in the lobby- 2 heading for Belize City and another heading for Antigua- and NONE of them were picked up from the several different agencies around town that they had booked with.
When a member of the hostel staff got to work around 8am I explained to him what had happened and he remarked that this happens quite frequently and that ¨mayan princess¨ are liars. Luckily- I´m not sure what happened, but he made a call and all of a sudden a man was outside our hostel door yelling at us to come with him for Tikal. This was lucky- as he took us to a tour van leaving for Tikal and accepted our ticket (though he was working for another agency). The whole experience was very dodgy- but luckily Tikal was amazing and took our mind off of it. Oh, and when we arrived back to the hostel around 4pm, the Mayan Princess was STILL closed, and stayed closed all night (even though the night before we booked out ticket with them at 7PM).
After leaving Flores and meeting travellers in Semuc Champey and Antigua, we heard of many people getting scammed by tour agencies in Flores- many much worse then we did. So I warn you- be careful! If you book through Los Amigos you will NOT get scammed, and if something goes wrong at least they will take responsibility and refund you.
I just thought it was weird that for this reason, Los Amigos has a bit of a monopoly on the tours here, and was also dissappointed that there was no warning signs in the lobby about Mayan Princess- only because it is literally RIGHT next door, and the staff was not surprised we were scammed since it happens frequently. Very thankful for the staff member who helped us out in the end though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chloe C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hostel is in desperate need of some competition. Unfortunately it seems to be THE place to stay for backpackers in Flores.
I'll start with the good things:
-Our private room was very nice, with excellent fans.
-The hang out areas downstairs are neat and usually full of fun travellers to meet and talk to
-I had a smoothie which was pretty good

The bad:
We booked ahead and reserved one of their private rooms which was 150Q per night. When we arrived we were taken to a room which was quite lovely. It had an extra single bed in it, but we didn't think much of it as we were tired and needed to get sleep before our sunrise Tikal tour the next morning. I said to the person who showed us the room "this is the one for 150?", but didn't get a response. It's possible she didn't speak English.
When we checked out 2 nights later, we were informed that we had to pay 250Q per night for the room. Although this may not seem like much ($12 or $13 more per night), it was the principle of the tactic that really bothered us. The lady who took our money knew we had to choice but to pay because she held our passports ransom. We tried our best to reason, but were met with the most rude customer service I have ever encountered. I was shocked.
I should note that we encountered a similar "scam" at Zephyr (who take bookings for los amigos and vice versa), only at Zephyr we were told right away that the room we booked was no longer available and that only a more expensive room was free. At least in this case we had the choice to stay or not (although if you consider getting off an 8 hour bus ride after dark and not knowing where you are "choice")

Please be aware of this if you are booking ahead. Get the name of the person you book with, a written receipt or something. If possible stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms for 250Q are nice (as long as you know that's what you're paying in the first plac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We really enjoyed staying there : great vibe and a lot of other travellers to chat with or share a drink with in the lovely funky patio. As a couple, we stayed in another building in one of their private rooms, 100 meters away from the main lobby. A great option to avoid the noise. They have all kind of different room for different budget. They can also organise your trip to Tikal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple