“Garden Hammock”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flores
Youth Hostel Los Amigos
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I can only write about my first hand experience, i liked this hostal! Facilities> lockers, Hamocks & Dorms
mixed Showers, Bar, FREE internet (pcs) and Wifi, Indoor garden, Secure front door, great locaton and comfortable

I like this hostal, i slept in a hammock which was great due to the strict curfew of noise and light which was enforced
all except 1 night. The staff here are nice and very friendly. The bar and food
is very popular so the place gets very packed at times. They arrange tours which are resonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Great value private treehouse rooms.
Good food and fun party atmosphere which closes onto the outback bar at 11 to ensure everyone gets a good sleep.
Happy hours cheap, after is standard.
Great location, safe, easy to organize tours and meet people.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am an expat, living in Guatemala City and here are my thoughts about Los Amigos when compared with many of the other cities/hotels/hostels I have stayed in across Guate.
I only stayed at Los Amigos for 1 night, so I should not in any way claim that I know all about Los Amigos, but here were my impressions. I arrived on the overnight bus from Guatemala City at around 8am, at which time, I was able to book and put my stuff in a private room which was nice (cost $12.50 us/Q100). I then ate a breakfast pannini which was out of the world. Immediately upon arriving I was able to meet and greet a few interesting people that I would get to know more over the next 48 hours.
The hostel is clean enough, anyone that says this place is really, really clean is just lying. But, it is a youth hostel, what do you expect. The room I was in was really dank... the sheets and bed seemed to be rather moist, but overall, I would say the room was clean (enough). The private room did have a fan that worked, but lets face it, Flores is HOTTTT!!!! So if you are the type that needs a break from the heat with some AC, this is not the place to get that. I would say for the 48 hours I was in Tikal I sweated the entire time. The only place to get a break from the heat is in the cold showers (which felt sooooo good) or going for a swim in the lake.
Overall, for between 10 bucks for a bed in the dorm or 13 bucks for a private room... this is worth it if you are on a budget. There are a ton of people that flock to this place from all over the world. I met people from Australia, the UK, Ireland, Israel, Canada, the US, and some from various countries in South America. This is a fantastic place to meet new people and that is why it is so popular in Flores.
The downside... I hated the fact that they had these local jewelry people at the hostel every night peddling their goods... mostly I hated the fact that they were selling crappy stuff at ridiculous prices to tourists that didn't know any better. Worse yet were the fact that these guys and girls pretty much laid around all day in the hammocks which I thought were meant for guests and then around dinner time would set up shop in the garden area where most people gather and hock their stuff. I get trying to help locals and letting locals sell their stuff, but honestly I do not think it is cool to do that at the inconvenience of your guests. Also, like other reviews said, the food services takes forever!! It is solid food, but man, often times it takes in excess of an hour to actually get your food (even though it is reasonably priced). The 5 hour happy hour is fantastic, though the prices for that happy hour are not as incredible as most people think. Q13 for a bottle of Gallo is pretty standard, not happy hour price. The rooms are tolerable, but my guess is you could do a lot better for not a whole lot more. Los Amigos is a fantastic place to hang out and you do not need to be a guest there to do that. If I were to do it again, I would say to stay somewhere else (especially if in a group), but definitely head to Los Amigos to hangout and make some new...Amigos.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank michael B
Reviewed June 17, 2012

As the only hostel on the island, it seems that Los Amigos has something of a stranglehold on the market in Flores - And it seems that this reputation means that they simply don't bother to actually work to maintain a decent standard.

There were a number of things that I was disappointed with here:
- In the sweltering heat of Flores, both fans in the 12 person dorm were broken both nights: And nobody really seemed to care to even try and fix them
- There is seldom anyone at the front desk. This means if you have a query, want to book a tour or even want to be let in the front door, you can often be waiting an age at the back of a line that builds up whilst waiting for someone to appear
- There were 8 lockers in the dorm of 12, all of which were taken. When I aksed the front desk about this they simply said I "find another one somewhere else", the only available one was out in a public courtyard
- I love animals at hostels, but the dog at the front of this one barked ridiculously loudly when someone entered, at all hours waking people up
- The place was tired and tattered and the wifi would often cut out

I would say dont bother, but I suppose this is the only hostel on the island. However, if you are in a group of 2 or more, you can split a decent hotel room nearby for the same cost as these dorms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AussieDizzle
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Good place, well set up. Large chill out area in a garden, good food, separate bar (nice so you can sleep of you want). Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is the hostel you should go to when going to visit Tikal. The hostel has a broad knowledge of what to do and where to go. At any time of day they can arrange a tour or bus ticket for you. They have dorms for every kind of traveller. It is clean and the people working there are really nice. Only ine little thing that could be better is the time you have to wait for food. The food is good, but sometimes it takes 1 to 1,5 hour to get you something simple as yoghurt and granola. But the food is good though!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Los amigos is a vary cool place to hang out. Good serves, and a great staff. Nice clean rooms with good space. And 100% safe. Los Amigos breakfast is a good breakfast to eat. The tour trip prices are alsome for Tikal. And the best place to be is at the new bar. In Los Amigos going though the red door. There an alsome bar. To have fun, beer pong, ganga. And there movie. Cool place to chill. Thank Los Amigos

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends