“A Wonderful Stay with Friends”

Hotel Casona de la Isla
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Flores
New Jersey
“A Wonderful Stay with Friends”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I booked two rooms months ago, and I'm so glad I chose this hotel for our two night stay. I flew in from the U.S. to visit my Guatemalan friend and her family. I arrived on Good Friday and the following day we made our way from Guatemala City to Flores. I had rented a car and we spent the better half of the day traveling from point A to point B. We arrived in Flores at around 7 p.m. to find that the streets were packed with cars, people, and food stands along the promenade. What a sight to behold! It was very festive. We had a bit of a hard time trying to locate the hotel, but when we did, we were able to park exactly in front of the main entrance.

I had booked a double for myself and a triple for my friend and her family and both rooms were on the fourth floor, but when the receptionist saw that my friend has an amputated leg and uses a crutch, she quickly offered her a room closer to the ground floor. She kept insisting that the room was bigger and better than the one on the fourth floor. I told my friend to go for it and not to worry that we weren't going to be rooming next to each other.

We were given our keys and went up two flights of stairs to room 116, which was a triple room facing the swimming pool. Her family fell in love with the room. It was very roomy with 3 full size beds which worked perfectly for them. My friend and her husband slept in one bed, her oldest daughter took the other bed with her 4 month old baby, and the youngest child took the other bed. Although the room had very basic furnishing, it was clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was a big plus. The bathroom was big enough with good water pressure.

We then went up to my room which was a very tiny room with two full size beds squeezed in the room. One bed was against the wall. The room had a ceiling fan, AC, a carafe with filtered water and two glasses. The bathroom had a shower stall, no tub, and the closet was in the bathroom. I can't remember the room number, but it had a nice view of the pool and the lake. Each room had two seats outside.

The hotel was full and there were a lot of people around the pool area, either in the pool or enjoying a drink. Everybody was very friendly. We were hungry and ended up eating at the restaurant next door and after dinner, we called it a night as we had a long day the following day to Tikal.

Breakfast was included and we got to order from their menu a full, hot breakfast. I still don't understand why I was charged extra for the young girl when I had made reservations for 3 adults and 1 child. The waiter told us that the reservation only showed 3 adults. I was supposed to have taken it up with front desk but I just let it go...breakfast was very inexpensive. We ate our breakfast on the deck facing the street.

Upon returning from Tikal, the pool was again very busy as was the bar area. We again had dinner at the restaurant next door, and after dinner, my friends got in the pool while I just lounged around and decided to call it a night. I was exhausted. Although I was on the fourth floor I could clearly hear the noise from the pool below, but it didn't bother me in the least.

We had breakfast the following morning on the deck facing the pool, and it was just as filling as the previous morning. The mornings on the island are very peaceful, and I loved to walk outside the room to a beautiful view of the lake and its tranquility. Hotel Casona de la Isla was by far the best choice I could've made when looking for a nice place to stay on the island, and if I ever return to Flores, I will surely book my nights there.

Room Tip: Firecrackers in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nereida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Well located, good view, clean, good team, nice rooms, just be sure you get a AC room, if not the rooms are too hot . Great wifi. Straight to the lake in one minute take a swim, you can get good food by the lake and all this is within a minute, although my room didn't have AC still it was worth the money and all the agencies next to it to go to Tikal and other temples.

Room Tip: Ask a room with A/C
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Newmarket, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Lovely location, view of the lake from the pool, and the central courtyard surrounding said pool is quite pretty.

I stay here often and the rooms are pretty clean, have hot water (with good water pressure), and functioning AC units and fans (though the ACs are sometimes a bit loud and rattly). They provide clean water in carafes, and free breakfast in the morning. Rooms can be a bit small for 2+ people, but just fine for one. There are no washcloths, but plenty of towels and soaps/shampoos.

Front desk has friendly staff who is very helpful.

You can enjoy drinks at the pool while overlooking the lake. Perfect view.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Meepbeepeep
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as a base to visit Tikal. The hotel is on the waterfront with rooms arranged off balconies around the swimming pool. The rooms are small and quirky - the wardrobe space was in the bathroom! Having said that the views from the room and balcony made up for it - stunning views over the Lake. Although in the centre of Flores there was little noise. The pool, with its terrace overlooking the lake, made an excellent place to relax after visiting Tikal.

Room Tip: Get a room on second or third floor overlooking the pool to get the best views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is located on the lakeside promenade, near many restaurants. Our room was very large, with three beds. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. Thin towels, no wash cloths. Large soap and shampoo in bottles. Our room had a small balcony outside. The room was clean and the beds reasonably comfortable. A/C was extremely noisy but cooled the room well. Our room had two ceiling fans and a window that opened, and we slept with the AC off. The hotel has a pool and a spa and offers kayak rentals. The restaurant has tipico Guate food, nothing special. The included breakfast is complete and very good. I was never able to get the wireless to work with my laptop, although others appeared to be pecking away at their phones with no problem. There are two computers for customers to use in the lobby. Only real negative was that the lights in the room were very dim. No elevator; you have to go up and down stairs to get to all rooms. This is certainly not a top end hotel but it was adequate for the two nights we stayed there and is reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wguterbock
Oregon, USA
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Te hotel room was a bit small for two persons. The view of the lake from the window and deck was outstanding. Great Sunset! Front desk was very helpful in helping us get to a hospital for some care. Location is fine, on the shores, near shops and food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay in Casona de la Isla, having been here for three nights the previous year while visiting Tikal in between stops. This year we stayed but one night ( a quick visit to Yaxha ) the two of us in the triple, as previously, for additional space. Again, the hotel lived up to our expectations: lovely setting facing the lake and overlooking the pool. Breakfast was good. We have never opted for dinner at the hotel, preferring a pizza place on the water, so I am unable to comment, in this particular, on service or food. However, when making requests to food service for bottles of wine, the response has been immediate, and I have received courteous and prompt attention to other requests, as well as directions, at reception. It perhaps helps that I speak Spanish. Wifi worked well, but not in every corner of the hotel, as is often the case elsewhere. I note some recent reviewers had a less than pleasant experience; however such has not been the case with my partner and me. We both would opt to stay at this hotel yet again should we be in El Peten. Oh, and the room has always been clean and the plumbing functioning, the water in the shower hot.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple