Chaltunha Hostel
$30
Hotel Peten(Flores)
$52
  • Pool
All reviewssan miguela short boat ridenice bungalowsswimming poolan amazing viewpeaceful placeyour luggagedefinitely stay here againenjoy the viewneilhostelhammocksislandlake3minscarfacetiles
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were greeted by the very hospitable host Neil. We took a private room to the back of the premises. The rooms were clean, beds were ok, the bathroom had warm water showers. We recommend to bring ear plugs because the neighbours' soundsystems are on at all times of day and night ( and they also have many cocks that are just dying to make themselves heared).
Neill also arranged our trip to Tikal and our transfer to Semuc Champey (the prices are comparable to the official rates of the tourist agency, which we recommend to visit when you arrive in flores).

Room Tip: Maybe try to have a private room that is not close to the room we had (room 1), perhaps that would reduce the noise from the neighbours (but make sure to have ear plugs! )
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Neil is an amazing hostel owner who is extremely helpful and friendly. The hostel has a great family vibe with his wife and son and are all devoted to making your stay amazing. While the hostel is across the river from Flores, the view is amazing and it is worth the cheap, short boat ride. Beds are comfortable and the pool is relaxing. The restaurant has tasty food too! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is situated opposite the city if Flores and has a great! View of the river and the city. The caffee/ bar and restaurant are nice, food is good and service is pleasant.
We took a private double room which was large with all basic things. The mattress must be changed as it is truly terrible...
Neil and his family are very nice and welcoming and always trying to give the best advice possible.
We booked via Neil a private day tour to Tikal and it was truly worth the 1000qs that it cost!
An English speaking guide for 5 hours full Tikal tour.
If u r into a hostel- it's really nice

• Stayed: August 2013
ChaltunhaHostel, Owner at Chaltunha Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to say that the mattress was replace the day after you checked out.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my friend. We didn't want to be in a party hostel so it was perfect for us. We were collected by boat and driven up to the hostel which is far nicer than a regular hostel. We had a twin ensuite cabin which was perfect. Food here was lovely, reasonable too. Laundry was done for us and help with onwards travel. There is a lovely view across the lake especially at night time. Only thing I would reccommend is checking prices of tours or transport in the town as they can be a little cheaper but if you need these booked quickly and easily then this will all be done in Chaltunha.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After five days of rugged and challenging travels in the back roads of Alta Verapaz, I turned up at Chal Tun Ha with a broad grin, in high spirits, ready to enjoy the goodlife at up to triple the price I had been paying.

I was met by owners so dour, even surly, I actually asked if it was preferable I find a different hotel. Really.

The bungalow was overpriced but I took it, being ill and tired. The friendliest person on site was the hardworking gardener, the pool was not very clean and the “racks,” a.k.a. beds were so worn the coils poked into my back and ribs all night long.

I paid for two nights but left after one as over and over I was reacted to as if I weren’t a guest but an annoying interruption to the domestic lives of the owners. If they once had a love affair with the idea of running a hotel, it’s clearly over.

My recommendation is stay at a hotel in Flores that wants and appreciates your presence and hire a lanchero to take you to the highlights of San Miguel: it’s otherwise an extremely friendly little town with a nice beach, humane zoo and fabulous organization called ARCAS that houses ocelots, monkeys, parrots and other exotic animals seized from the illegal pet trade.

Room Tip: Number 6 has the most privacy but all back on to the local neighbourhood so blaring stereos are an issue.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo