“Mold on the bread of my hamburger!!”

Raices Bar and Grill
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Flores
Cuisines: Pizza, Central American
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ARTESANAL CUISINE RESTAURANT, GRILL AND WOOD OVEN AT THE SIGHT OF THE CUSTOMER. WITH A GREAT VIEW OF THE PETEN ITZA LAKE.
“Mold on the bread of my hamburger!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

After a day at Tikal my fiancé and I were starving. We saw the menu and location and thought this would be a safe bet. I saw they wrote on the menu that all of their vegetables were washed with purified water. This put our minds at ease. It took them a while to take our order. They were not very busy. I ordered a Hamburger and my fiancé ordered a salad. By the time I got the hamburger, I was beyond hungry. I took a bite and noticed the bread tasted like it was stale and had been toasted to hide it. Upon closer inspection of the bun, I noticed chunks had been taken off the bread and there were little blue/green spots of mold on the rest of the bread. They had obviously intentionally given me moldy bread. I spit it out and left. This experience made me paranoid about eating at these restaurants in the off season. I would have paid anything to have a descent clean meal. Ended up eating at Burger King that day, although the best meal I had on our visit was The Mayan Cafe.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Alanstone1969
CLAUDIA G, Propietario at Raices Bar and Grill, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Good afternoon, I am so sorry for the inconvenient of your hamburguer, that day the manager inform me about the problem, our bread has not preservants so it's life is very short and the kitchen personal violated one of our procedures, that is to look that the bread is in good condition before serving it. I am very sorry that this happened in the restaurant and believe I'm looking forward this doesn't happen again. Thank you for your constructive criticism these will make us better.

• Hebrew first
Lake Atitlan
“Nice location and good food”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a larger restaurant that I have seen filled with the "big bus" tour groups. I always stay away when I see a restaurant filled with the big groups, but in the case of my visit, there were only a half a dozen tables filled. There was soccer game happening at the time, and every other restaurant I walked by had the TV blasting loud with the game. Since I am not a sports fan, I wanted a little quiet. Raices had the game on, but the TV was turned down low so the guests could enjoy conversation.
The lunch special was what we chose, and at 70 Q a plate, was perfect for sharing. Some restaurants do not like people sharing, but they were perfectly fine with it and brought us an extra plate. I recommend their chimichuri sauce (3 Q extra) on the side. It is a great blend of olive oil, roasted garlic, and parsley. Guatemalan pesto, so to speak. The sauce was great to spread on the tortillas.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“nice place on the lake”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We came here for happy hour and ended up staying for dinner. The food was good. We started with the nachos and queso and tomatoes, which I don't recommend. It kind of tasted like velveeta, which I didn't even realize they had in Guatemala, I just assumed it would be fresh cheese. We shared a large grilled steak with a side of corn. It turned out to be plenty of food and the steak was good.

Visited March 2013
CLAUDIA G, Propietario at Raices Bar and Grill, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Its a pleassure for us that our clients are happy with our service and our food, I hope you come back again!!!!
New York City, New York
“Good food and great lake view!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had dinner during our last night in Flores. The restaurant has spectacular view of the lake and the fried whole fish with garlic sauce is delicious. The Q18 buy one take one cocktails sweetened the dining experience.

Visited April 2013
Lake Atitlan
“Good deals and cold beers”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I only wanted a little snack, so I stopped into this small cafe (I think there is a larger one by the same name on the other side of the island). I had the tacos, which came with several generous sides that you can top the tacos with. That little plate was packed with flavor, and the beer was cold. I will go back for more.

Visited March 2013