“Nice place, no English”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Flores
Whistler, Canada
“Nice place, no English”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This place was a nice hotel in a good location near the lake. The room was clean and bathroom, although small, was functional and clean too. The downside was that no one spoke any English what so ever. My Spanish is very limited and so we were unable to get any advice from the staff regarding tours etc. the shared balcony facing the lake was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing two night stay here and would highly recommend this as a mid priced option. A bit no frills but the beds are comfy and the showers are hot, the staff friendly and the location convenient. Also appreciated the lake view and the upstairs terrace. All around a nice and affordable break from the hostel scene.

Stayed July 2014
usa
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel Casazul was such a delightful surprise and we had a fantastic last night in Guatemala there! I had read good reviews and wanted a place to land close to the airport (our international flight was late afternoon the next day) with AC after our night in the jungle in Tikal. (This was June and it was HUMID and HOT.) We are not Spanish speakers so I booked it through Antigua Tours who did our transportation and Tikal stay. That probably worked out well as all details were arranged by someone in Guatemala. We did request, and were given, the top floor two rooms facing the lake. While the rooms were basic, though clean, and had everything we needed for a one night stay, it was the huge terrace overlooking the lake with the comfy wicker furniture that made this place special!

We loved Flores and had a great walk about town and ate at Cool Beans for lunch and Ill Terrazo for dinner. Both super locations and really good food. We were there on a Friday night and it was fun to watch the food and jewelry vendors set up on the shore. Music was playing and all kinds of locals were out and about relaxing and enjoying the cooler air. Did I mention it was HOT!!! I don’t know if this is every night but we had a spectacular sunset and had a young man on one of the small wooden motor transport boats take us for a tour around the island. Simply enchanting!

Room Tip: The gem of the place is the top floor lake facing rooms!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank BCA
Netherlands
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I have a kneeproblem so with my reservation I sent a message to mention I'd prefer a room at the first floor in order not to climb too many stairs.
We had the room at the ground floor, with view on the lake.
Spacious, clean, New towels after one night.
We had to leave to Tikal in a hurry (breakfast at the neighbours was very slow) and left the room in a big mess.
The maid Marcela did a great job cleaning up our room!

Minor point: very weak Wi-Fi, even in the lobby

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hippohanna
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for one night after Tikal before returning to Belize. We arrived at 10am and were shown straight to our room - a large, clean room with a balcony overlooking the lake. It had a fridge, tv and air conditioning so we were pleasantly surprised. It's a good location in Flores in the waterfront and by the main eateries. We booked on Expedia and paid in advance, we were a bit worried about the absence of an email address to contact the hotel but it all worked out fine. We couldn't get a wifi signal even though they claimed to offer it, so this could be why they don't use email!

We wanted to book bus tickets back to Belize City for the following morning. It turns out that the hotel can book this on your behalf for the standard Q160 fare with a pick up from the hotel at 7:30am. The lady was very helpful and called the company several times with our questions before we made the booking. We had been quite worried about booking the bus tickets as there's little information online so this made it so easy and we could then enjoy our day in Flores. All of our communication with the staff was in Spanish, I don't know how far we would have got with the above if we couldn't speak the language, but as we do it wasn't an issue!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank e-s03
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My husband and I spent 1 night at Casazul after arriving in Flores on a late afternoon flight from Guatemala City.

The first problem was our transfer from the airport to the hotel. I made arrangements via email with the group that manages Casazul (along with several other Flores properties) several weeks before our arrival. However, I guess I made a mistake by not verifying this pickup before leaving on our trip.

We walked out of the airport expecting to find someone with a sign or marked car, but we encountered only a shuttle headed to Tikal and some random taxi drivers. One in particular was fairly persistent, but I brushed him off and attempted to call the number on my email confirmation. Unfortunately, the number was not actually for Casazul, but some central number. I was eventually transferred to Casazul, but no one there spoke English and my Spanish is not great. I ended up handing my phone to the persistent cabbie and apparently no one was on the way...something about not paying in advance; basically I have no clue what the real problem was. So I asked the persistent cabbie, Israel Lima, how much he would charge to drive us, and it ended up being cheaper than our previous arrangement!

We arrived at the hotel, signed our credit card bill and headed to our room after a long day of traveling. We were lucky to get one of the lake side rooms on the third floor and the view is amazing. The room itself is nothing special, although the refrigerator is nice to have. The bathroom is rather cramped but was sufficient. No one told us there was water downstairs that we could use to fill up our water bottles, but we found it the next morning. Basically, we were told nothing when we arrived, but we were really just there to sleep for one night!

The room was clean and the A/C worked great, so those were both big plusses.

Room Tip: Top floor lakeside can't be beat!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Prior to booking I had perused the reviews and it seemed so highly rated this is where I wanted to stay. The first disappointment was not having a room facing the water..I think that would have changed the experience as having the water view is the best thing about Flores. But that isn't there fault, they can't accommodate everyone, was it was disappointing. The room was otherwise just ok. Their terraces overlooking the water are lovely..the one on the main floor is super small, but go to the top floor as it is big and comfy with a great view. Staff were friendly and accommodating but otherwise I didn't feel it was that special.

Room Tip: You need to have a room with a balcony facing the water!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple