“A route 66 favorite”
Review of Cactus Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McLean
Cactus Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 McLean B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This was my first stop since the place has changed hands but the third or fourth overall. One of the things I liked was the personal involvement of the owner and, even though Peggy & Duwain are managers rather than owners, they are living on site and seemed just as involved as the Sheplors. My room was once again clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Denny G

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed here on our way to the Grand Canyon. The room was clean, large, and charming. It is an older motel, but more than comfortable. The air conditioner being very loud is my lone complaint. The beds were clean and comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic and the towels, oh my gosh the towels were awesome. They were just like home, absorbent and soft. I'd definitely stay here again if I were out this way. Very charming place and a welcome diversion from just another interstate hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Ayanla
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The negative review on this site are unwarranted; the Cactus Inn was a wonderful overnight place to stay--the staff left my key taped to the door, the room was clean, fresh, and well supplied. They had planted flowers and made other efforts to stand out from the big chains. And staying there helps the local economy. Recommend it without hesitation. The room was $50/night, very economical, for three of us.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cacksammel
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My husband and I had been on the road for 4 exhausting days driving through bad weather from New England until we reached the Texas panhandle. We prayed for a quiet peaceful place to rest for Fri night and Sat night when there came into our view The Cactus Inn. We found this place and the people so nice and helpful and kind and accommodating that we stayed Sunday night too. We recieved a wonderful much needed rest. Peggy, you and the nice woman that cares for the rooms and your dear husband that we waved at couldn't have been more helpful and kind. Thank-you! We found the room large and very clean and the beds comfortable. Pampas is a good place to go for needed items and is a beautiful ride through the beautiful Texas country side.
The town of Mclean is nostalgic and interesting and inspiring! God bless you more than you could ask or think!
Slick and Beauty thank you also....;)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2011

i stayed there on the 18th of apr '11 .. With my father for all of maybe 20 minutes im pregnant and we are taking a roadtrip before the baby from nyc to cali.. anyways that hotel was fillllled with deer fleas.. We knocked on the door at 1130pm of the office and showed them the zillion fleas and all they said was "woops" and gave us our money back and sent us packing.. Meanwhile we're both tired. Had to drive 100 mi into new mexico to find a decent hotel that didnt seem gross.. Im considering a law suit. I was bit up & so was my father. It took itching cream to fix it. DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank beautyx87
PeggyJSB443, Manager at Cactus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

1. You checked in April 19 rather than the 18th, before 10 pm, because I close the office at 10. If you left at 11:30, you were in that room 1 1/2 hours. You had time to shower, get into the beds, etc.
2. When you reported fleas, I went to look. I was horrified for you, and did the only thing I could do which was apologize, and refund your money.
3. I saw no bites on either of you, though you went out of your way to scratch for me. You showed me the bath mat, which you had wadded up and placed in the sink. That seemed odd. Your hair was wet, so I knew you had showered. I saw no luggage or bags in the room. It appeared you had already loaded your belongings in your vehicle.
4. I isolated that room, and one on either side, and phoned the exterminator.
5. The exterminator could find no sign of fleas, till I showed him that bath mat. He stated that "our motel had never had fleas, and these had to have been brought in with a cat, as they were cat fleas, not deer fleas". There were no live ones at all.
6. 24 hours following room treatments, our housekeepers spent 2 days, cleaning and washing everything in hot water and bleach.
7. What we did find was lots of kitty litter and cat food in that room. There was kitty litter even in the shower. As our rooms are throughly cleaned after every guest, the kitty litter and cat food was left by you. Our policy is, we do not accept cats as pet guests here.
Conclusion: You brought in a cat. which is against motel policy, as is clearly stated on a sign in the front office, thus you brought the cat fleas with you. You got a free shower and short rest.
We have regular pest treatment. We have clean rooms. We make every effort to satisfy the needs of our guests. I am sorry that Amarillo, a city of over 200,000 folks, with I-40 and 287 running through it, had no hotel decent enough for you and your father. I hope the remainder of your trip was satisfactory.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

My grown son and I stayed at this motel and loved it. It cost us about $50.00 and it was clean and pleasant and quiet. The rooms were big and the bathroom was big. It felt like and Oasis in the desert. The owner was so welcoming and nice. I had mistakenly left my purse in Elk City, about 70 miles away. She helped me make phone calls to locate my purse. Great experience. I would recommend this lovely motel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank jaypoo
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Had trouble finding it in the dark. The woman who runs it was very nice, and I spoke to her on the phone before I arrived. There isn't any other choice around there and I did feel safe, which is important to me. But I had read reviews that said it was "so clean!" It really wasn't. I was glad I didn't have to stay long, just slept and left. Sheets seemed clean, and I appreciated that.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Cactus Inn? Share your experiences!