“wonderful choice”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in McKinney
Dallas, Texas
“wonderful choice”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We are getting married on a few days and have arranged for our guests to stay at the Grand Hotel. Being as we have guests coming in from out of the country things are a little more complicated than expected. Jose the manager has been extremely helpful, he goes above and beyond to make sure everything is taken care of. The Grand Hotel has made the wedding planning experience much easier. We are so thankful for the staff and their hospitality, not to mention this hotel is beautiful and right in the middle of everything downtown. This hotel will not disappoint and the staff are top notch.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brittany K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location in downtown McKinney. We loved the historic square and all the shops. Unfortunately, the hotel was not as "grand" as we had expected. Our room was large and spacious, and we loved the high ceiling with old ceiling tiles. The bathroom had a very musty/mildew smell, and the shower area was very small. While using a hand towel, the towel rack fell off the wall. A large armoire is situated across from the sleigh bed, but the television contained inside is quite small in comparison. Even cheaper hotels have larger televisions. The leather chair in the corner of the room was very dirty and soiled. The window few from the second floor is less than desirable as it looks out on rooftops, dumpsters, and restaurant storage. Perhaps our greatest disappointment with our stay was how noisy our room was from evening to morning. A very loud band plays downstairs until 11 and the bar is open until midnight. The noise is not muffled at all by the paper thin walls. Just as the bar noise died down, some people clearly moved in to the room next door to us. We could hear every inappropriate noise through the thin wall between us. Once they fell asleep, we were kept wide awake by their snoring. We were tempted to leave the hotel around 2 am to go elsewhere to escape the distracting noises, but did not want to wake others by moving our things out of the room. I understand hotels can be noisy, but one would expect a bit more insulation between rooms/floors to help muffle noise to allow guests to rest comfortably. Despite the great location and old world charm which we loved, we would not recommend this hotel to others due to our less than "grand" experience.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank CzechRaider
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews and compared prices around McKinney before booking this place for one night as we drove through town as we knew nothing about the area. It was well priced as it was a Thursday evening.. $125 for a very beautiful room, that is damn hard to find these days! This place is beautiful inside and out and is in walking distance of everything downtown. (But you better get there before 10pm if you want to eat as every kitchen except for a pub around the corner will already be closed.) I did not enjoy interacting with the desk employees, but the manager we dealt with the next morning was excellent.

In regards to room: awesome size and convenient set up, beautiful and grand antique style furniture. However, I do wish the bed only looked antique, instead of feeling like the rock hard bed my grandparents have in their house from the 1940s.

The bathroom was pretty but inconvenient. The towels are literally the roughest textured linens I have experienced. In the shower there is only one tiny soap bar where you can place toiletries so you have to set everything on the floor. I took a shower and then went back to get my stuff and as I picked up my lotion I noticed an unfamiliar small brown thing on my hand. Then as I picked up the rest of the shampoo, conditioner & etc, I noticed there were more.. And they were moving. *** There were tiny brown worms covering the far bottom corner of the shower but you would never actually notice unless you had to go into that corner as the tile and grout are very dark. My fiancé immediately called management and they had a whole team up to sanitize the bathroom and gave us access to another room across the hall to finish getting ready before checking out. They then contacted Expedia and had our charges reversed before we could even make the request.

I was very happy with their customer service here. The way they handled the shower situation was appreciated and the staff was very genuine and attentive. I do think this is a clean hotel and I just had bad luck that day (let's hope!) so I was hesitant to even mention it in the review and would still recommend it. However, I would only recommend it to my young, healthy, trendy hipster friends, as the lack of conveniences inside and out seem to imply that this is a place for someone that doesn't plan to spend much time in the room, but instead more time downtown. My 40 year old fiancé hated it. Lol

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michell D
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is small but quaint nestled in downtown McKinney. I had a wonderful experience. Each room has a unique, historic design. I felt like a queen staying there. Ricks Chophouse is downstairs so please eat there. You must see the ballroom on the 3 rd floor and the bars downstairs. The staff is friendly. This is the perfect place for a romantic getaway, family reunion, wedding party, graduation party, any party. I had my family stay here and they loved it. I had the best sleep in years. It's also a perfect place if you want to just spoil yourself. Don't forget to read about its history while you are there.

• Stayed May 2014
Double Oak, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stay on a week night, as prices goes up significantly on Friday and Saturday. We had an outside room with a window, but the view was various rooftops. The bed and pillows were terribly hard. The couple we were traveling with had a soft bed and pillows. Room 403, is very small, has a one-way walking path. Watch out for the low foot board. We hit our knees the first time walking around the bed. In the bathroom very little room for a woman to store products. Lighting in the bathroom is not for women applying makeup. Also you have to lean over sink to look closely in the mirror. Managment needs to install a swing out mirror on the side wall. Location is ideal if your spending a night after exploring the square or eating at Ricks.

Food at Ricks was delicious. Very hard to decide what to order, as so many delicious, appealing entrees.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,259 helpful votes
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed here on a recent business trip to McKinney, TX. This hotel is located right downtown McKinney, TX on the square so a convenient location for walking to restaurant and small shops. It is a very good value. The hotel has character with a homey feeling. My only complaint about the room I stayed in is that it was very dimly lit even with all the lights on. The cocktail lounge was comfortable as well and staff very friendly. The hotel has a restaurant that seemed to be very popular with guests and locals, although I didn't eat there on this trip. A few steps away from the hotel is Snug on the Square which is a great little restaurant for breakfast or lunch with reasonable prices. Also suggest trying Gregory's Bistro for a meal, which is only about a block walk away and the food there is awesome.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank WorldTravelers34
Double Oak, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Grand Hotel is top notch! Our family had a wedding there this weekend and I was so impressed with the entire staff! Very friendly and more than happy to help in any way. We have a special needs child/adult in our family and Jose the general manager went out of his way to make sure he got chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast! The rooms are beautiful and the beds are so comfortable. We didn't want to leave! Thank you everyone at the Grand Hotel we had a lovely stay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family