“Awesome Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in McKinney
central tx
“Awesome Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Grand is just that ."Grand" in every respect , in a really alive down town of McKinney Texas, no wonder they were picked number two best places to live in America by Money Magazine. Quaint cafes and a variety of shops to enjoy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Presidential suite that was elegant. Very spacious and very quite. Awesome view of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

For the second year in a row, we spent our anniversary at the Grand Hotel as we love McKinney. Also, for the second year in a row, we did not get the type of room for which we had a confirmation. We had both times requested a window. The first visit we got a room with no window, but a skylight. My husband and I are late sleepers and with a skylight the light comes streaming in at the crack of dawn making it very difficult to sleep. This year the first question I asked was if our room had a window. The answer was "no" which I said was unacceptable. They ended up reluctantly changing our room, however, we now had a room with a queen rather than king bed and our window overlooked a bunch of roofs. The bed had some sort of unfitted stiff plastic cover on it and the bottom sheet was not fitted and was barely tucked in. Every time I moved I ended up with a wad of mattress pad and sheet under me. I did not sleep well at all. To add insult to injury, there was a function going on in the hotel and even with the TV on I could hear the words to the songs that the singer was singing and the band was loud. The guests at that function were running around the halls and were very noisy. After that band stopped playing, I could hear the band in the bar two stories below. The hotel itself is nice. The rooms are small. The bedspread was one of those dark quilted ones that make you wonder if it ever gets cleaned. As I said, the sheets didn't fit the bed. When we arrived, our pillows were on the floor (yuk!!) The bathroom is nice but there was no place to hang towels. We ended up only spending one night as opposed to the two we had planned on. They did comp our room which they should have but that didn't make up for an unpleasant night plus the inconvenience of having to pack up and look for another place to stay. We will definitely visit McKinney again, but will not be staying at the Grand Hotel. In addition, parking is a real problem.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window with a good view. I would also get as far away from the event room as poss...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Judy S
Brookfield, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This quaint hotel is located in an historic building that has been tastefully restored to grand opulence with wonderful antique furniture to adorn each room. The staff is extremely friendly and goes out of their way to accommodate guests and make them feel at home, not unlike a fine bed and breakfast inn. From this location its a one block walk to a number of fantastic restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner and unique shops located on the beautiful McKinney town square. I have stayed here 3 times for business and absolutely love it. Guests can take a short 2 mile run down Louisiana Av and return on Virginia to view a number of grand old historic homes with porches and friendly people to say hello to along the way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is an older hotel right tucked half a block off of the main square in McKinney. The square is a very nicely preserved town square with a lot of nightlife nearby and plenty of dining options that are all above average dining spots.

So, the bed was comfortable, the room was nice, but nothing stood out about it except that it felt old in a cozy way. The bathroom was very recently redone, so you are not sacrificing anything to age there, and the soaps and linens provided were nice quality.

This was a nice place to spend a night because it does not have the generic box-on-the-highway feel at all, and I think it would be a very nice place for just a weekend couples retreat to a relaxing place.

The coffee shop next door was an added bonus. Good coffees in a very relaxed space.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

What a true gem! The Grand Hotel is located on the historic square in downtown McKinney. Rooms are all beautifully decorated with mansion beds that are of the utmost comfort. A lot of weddings held here so you might want to ask for a room away from the ballroom. There are pubs and restaurants all just steps away that offer live entertainment. You must visit the Lobby Bar and try the Crab Dip. Great atmosphere. This is my "go to" hotel when I wanna get away. So much to do. My favorite place.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank PapizGirl
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A year ago I wrote about how wonderful this hotel is. Just got back from another four day stay and guess what? It was even more wonderful than before! I love this hotel. It is always my very first choice when in McKinney Texas and they are always able to fit me in. The locations is perfect, there is always parking outside and the staff are more like family these days! I can understand why it is such a popular place for weddings and special events.
All of the rooms are beautifully decorated. Great food is right downstairs at Ricks and on the weekends the bar is bustling with friendly locals. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Splurge a little and book one of the suites. They are amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Caution looks good sleeps BAD!! I have never felt frustrated enough to waste my time writing a review but this time this one took the Cake with bad accomadations/service so I had no choice. I really enjoyed McKinney Texas and the square of shops around The Grand Hotel. The Grand Hotel is beautiful and my experience at the Symposium during business hours was great before and after that was another story. If you value sleep stay away. First the room smelled like an old tennis shoe and what ever they sprayed triggered my almost non-existent allergies. Then, NO ONE on staff could get the temperature in 1 or 2 different rooms to work so I averaged 3 hours of sleep. Then when wanted to exercise no one could including me/staff could get fitness center treadmill such to function. The blinds wouldn't shut out light and the sink didn't work so I moved to a windowless room with the same problems and same issue with heat.

After coming down to find staff sleeping and unhelpful I went running outside in the sleet with short pants to take my mind off it...that worked since I froze!! I left requests for help for management and front desk staff. I am sure there is more but do you need more. Stay away and worst of all when I called and left messages for a couple of weeks asking for an apology or such management and owner did nothing. The one bright note was Oscar a true professional! They get what they deserve a terrible review for a pretty hotel gone BAD! Stay AWAY.

Room Tip: One in another hotel would be good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business