Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary

via mobile
Fun for kids

debby751
McKinney, Texas

All reviews butterfly garden gift shop live animals pioneer village walking trails animated dinosaurs native plants on display dinosaur bones grandkids love indoor exhibits educational programs family outing field trip outdoor experience inside the building forested area
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

So many great trails to walk. Didn't realize such amazing views amd nature exited right in my backyard of Mckinney! Our tour guide was amazing!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Fun for kids but the trails for walking didn't really satisfy me as an adult. The village and play area was fun for small kids.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This trip to the Heard Museum yesterday makes me want to take our cub scouts on a million outings ! They were so fun !!! It is an amazing magical , learning place !!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

interactive things for the kids to see as well as wonderful nature lessons thruout/they do the most wonderful events thruout the property as well

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

This is one place my wife and I consistently bought season passes to. They have 3-4 different seasonal attractions including a dinosaur exhibit that my boys loved! It was really fun to read a couple books and then see the lifesized dinosaurs. Even on off times, it’s a great place to take a walk with or without a stroller.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

I found this museum to be a little run-down and not very organized. On our walk to the front entrance, things were overgrown, wilted and/or dying. We had to step over and around plants across the sidewalks. I felt for the people ahead of us trying to push a baby stroller in and around waist-high grasses on the walkways.
Once we entered the museum, the front desk people were very friendly but there is a strange smell throughout the museum. The large refrigerated drink cooler was broken and there were no cold drinks to be purchased on this hot summer day. The staff had placed a couple of regular coolers on the floor with drinks for purchase but the water was barely cool. The entire museum did not feel well air-conditioned and I was quite uncomfortable at times. I noticed several patrons fanning themselves with programs throughout the museum. It was warm!
The museum consists of 6 rooms that have no rhyme or reason whatsoever. There can be fossils in every room, stuffed (taxidermy) birds in several rooms and a couple of geology displays in a couple of places. Nothing is well-organized or well-labeled. The entire place is a hodge-podge of "stuff". Some displays have signs and labels, others do not. I was confused and saw no clear reasoning to many exhibits. A large, fake tree in one room right off the front looked like it had not been cleaned or dusted in decades! We wandered through rooms with butterflies, dinosaur skulls, shark teeth, bees, snakes, rocks, etc. - just what you would expect to see at a natural science museum.
In my opinion, this museum needs a good cleaning and good overhaul. They have some really nice and interesting items - they just need a lot more organization and more professional signage.
The outdoor trails and educational areas could also use some work. Things look a little worn and run down. I know lots of schools visit here and young kids enjoy this museum - but it is definitely time for a face lift!
Two things that really turned me off were the snakes and the lemurs. One tiny alcove housed a few snakes and the enclosures were so small and cramped. It made me sad. We had just visited a very nice national zoo and this seemed almost cruel in comparison. The same goes for the lemur exhibit (we assumed they were ring-tailed lemurs though there was no signage telling us anything about them!). The glass cage had barely anything in it other than a couple of branches or places for them to sit. The floor was covered with butcher paper. This seemed to me to be a most barren and unnatural habitat for a "natural science" museum.
I really wished I had enjoyed our visit more - but there were just too many little things that made this a mediocre visit at best. I hope they make some improvements.

3  Thank 860SusanB860
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Recently visited for the first time even though I had planned to visit many times. The place is set up to cater to just about everyone with a desire to know more about local nature and animals. The museum is very interesting but I found the trails and the outdoors areas to be the most fun and most relaxing. Go with friends or family - everyone that likes the outdoors will have a great time. And if you have little ones they have lots of interesting things to touch and see and do as well as great play areas and information sessions.

2  Thank John M
Reviewed May 28, 2018

We had had some experience hearing coyotes calling out at night. The employee at the desk had a group of coyote calls that she shared with us so we could learn what the calls meant. The grounds were also interesting with lots of turtles playing in the small ponds near the walking trail.

2  Thank Evan W
Reviewed April 9, 2018

trials are good to spend a few hours , they have little cottages for the kids to play, the view is wonderful on the wetlands and prairies not too much a museum it is small

1  Thank JLRendon
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Small museum with some interesting displays. Nothing outstanding. Lost raptors and birds some years ago; big disappointment lingers.
Enjoyed our walk and escape from the big city on our way to Hutchins BBQ.