“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”

Atria Hotel & RV McGregor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McGregor
McGregor, Texas
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Bedbugs everywhere. Many fire code violations. Way over priced. New managers are rude. Dead bugs in the light fixtures and dead roaches everywhere. Smelled horrible. Molded carpets from the A/C freezing up and flooding the room. Without A/C in the middle of the summer in central Texas it would be like a torture chamber and in winter with no heat it is almost just as bad. Stains on the carpet from people spitting chewing tobacco on the floor. Strong odors of natural gas caused the fire dept to respond and discover fire code violations and that the alarm had been deactivated so they wouldn't have to deal with it having false alarms.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Iberia, Louisiana
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Booked through hotels.com and had confirmation number and there was no rooms for me when I went to check in. Really sucked. They tried to rebook me somewhere else after I had confirmed rooms at this hotel. Don't trust them. I will never stay here again. Shady to say the least no matter what they try to post as a rebuttal.

Stayed November 2013

Travelers are raving about these McGregor hotels

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were there for almost 2 months for my husbands job. Keep your receipts because we checked out on same day of week we checked in and now we "owe" them. So they authorized our CC after my husband checked out instead f explaining this "charge". I called and was sent their register for our room and given that's just the charge. You're a week behind. So I will be getting receipts from my bank and from each time we payed the hotel and driving 2 hours to sort this ridiculous mess out.

• Stayed August 2013
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great and friendly staff working hard to serve you. The rooms are especially QUIET! :) Sometimes it seems a little shabby (like the security lock on the outdoor entrance, which has been broken for more than 3 months since my last stay), but the rooms are always clean and they do a good job of making everything comfortable for guests. Group rates are also fantastic and much appreciated.

Room Tip: Take into consideration there is no elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sherman, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2013

All in all, not a bad hotel. If there was a "good" rating on here, I would have given it that. My stay was for 5 nights.
I stayed on the second floor of the hotel. (There is no elevator!) My room was very quiet. I have been in much more expensive hotels that have not been as sound proofed as this hotel.
Here are my observations of this hotel.
The hotel was kept very clean, however they do need to hire an exterminator. I had a few bugs and spiders in my room and other people traveling with me said they had bugs in their rooms too.
My room was cleaned every day, except, for some strange reason, they would not clean my coffee pot. They would give me new coffee, but they would not clean out the pot. (speaking of the coffee, the provided coffee is not great. If I have to stay there again, I'm bringing my own coffee.)
The smoking rooms are separated from the rest of the rooms by a glass wall and doors. Great! Loved that! You could only smell the smoke if you went into that area of the hotel!
The beds were a little hard for my personal liking, but they were not uncomfortable. Plenty of pillows on each bed too!
The ac unit in my room (206) did not work right. On cool, it would blow warm, humid air. I told the front desk person and he told me it was because I put the temp too low and froze the unit up. He said if put the temp below 72 it would freeze up! Not too big of a problem in the winter (I just opened my window!) but it would be terrible in a TX summer!
Breakfast is packaged pastries, yogurt and cereal. They did have coffee, tea & cocoa available throughout the day.
There is an in-house laundry facility. ($1.25 to wash & $1.00 to dry) After 45 minutes, my pants were still slightly damp, so I would suggest running pants 2xs in the dryer.
In the room there is soap and shampoo and coffee provided. Soap & shampoo are good products. They don’t smell bad either.
They had a really nice pool. It was very sparkly & clean, but way to cold in January to try it out!
My room was nice and clean enough that I did not feel uncomfortable walking around barefoot. (I have stayed in some hotels that I would even shower in shoes and never dream of going barefoot!)
I would gladly stay at this hotel again. Thanks for the comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Hotel does not have an elevator. Rooms on the second floor are quite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Linda B, General Manager at Atria Hotel & RV McGregor, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. A few things that I will take to heart to improve the hotel: Being located in the middle of a field, the bugs tend to flock here. The week that you were here, was the normal week for my exterminator to come. However, due to all the occupied rooms, he was only able to treat the common areas of the hotel. I do apologize for the inconvenience of that. I also apologize for the coffee pot not being clean. That will no longer be an issue. Our a/c units have a summer setting and a winter setting. To save on energy, we had it set on winter setting. I feel that my desk agent didn't explain that well enough. I do apologize because it is just a flip of the switch for an easy fix. We worked really hard last year on the remodel of our pool!! We hope you come back in summer time to enjoy it. Again, thank you for the tips. I hope you come back and see what I put in motion to continue making your stay at the Atria a great stay, every stay!!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here twice in a month and had no complaints on either occasion. Both stays were simple overnights while we visited our child at Baylor University in Waco, which was an easy 15 minute drive.
We found the hotel to be clean and well-maintained on our visits. Rooms were a nice size, and included a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, ironing board, hair dryer and non-HD tv. Decor was very basic--this is a utilitarian hotel, not fancy at all. Beds were fine, and I appreciated the extra pillows. Bathroom was clean, plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc.
Room was quiet for the most part, though on the first visit there was some loud noises from the floor above us--maybe kids jumping off the bed? However, no road noises or voices in the hall that I could hear.
After dark both nights, so no opinion on views or setting.
Small assortment of pre-packaged breakfast items--muffins, danish, etc., some yogurt and coffee in the morning. Nothing I wanted to eat, honestly, but my 12-year-old was happy.
Finally, the staff both on the phone and in person were wonderful on both occasions. Friendly, welcoming, and helpful--best part of the stay.
Overall, for a place to sleep and shower, it was just fine. Great alternative when Waco hotels fill up and double their prices for Homecoming and Parent's Weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Linda B, General Manager at Atria Hotel & RV McGregor, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
It was our pleasure hosing all the Baylor grads over homecoming weekend. Thank you for your kind words. We enjoyed having you stay with us. Happy travels to you!--Linda
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Pathetic service at best. Great place to stay if you enjoy dead crickets. Everywhere. Literally. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank mcmama2012
Linda B, General Manager at Atria Hotel & RV McGregor, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We apologize for any inconvenience. Unfortunately due to the wet weather, there has been a cricket invasion. We got hit very hard this year. Our staff works very hard to clean them up. However, there are times they come back faster than we can get them picked up. We hope that you decide to give us a chance again when the cricket season has settled down so we can show you just how great of a hotel we really are.
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGregor
Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites Near University
Sleep Inn and Suites
Sleep Inn and Suites
#1 of 2 in Hewitt

Been to Atria Hotel & RV McGregor? Share your experiences!