All reviewslight mealfront desksocial hourmini kitchenhousekeeping staffliving areabreakfast buffetevery morningthe rio grande valleyairportcouchmallperkssodasrgvcheckin
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had another wonderful visit at Staybridge. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The housekeepers did a nice job of cleaning the room we were in. On this visit, we requested a crib for our grandson as our daughter and her family traveled with us. The breakfast and happy hour at the hotel was very nice and the food was delicious. Our family will return to this facility again on our next trip to the valley.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review and for the wonderful comments of our hotel. We really love sharing this information with our staff and they especially enjoy making every guest feel comfortable and happy. We can't wait to see you all again.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

i have stayed at a few Staybridge hotels and selected this one due to name and experience and had not read the other reviews prior to my stay. Not sure what the expectations were but must say i was ok. Service was good, Breakfast was ok and well presented, eating area was small but adequate. Room was clean, neat and adequate as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. We shared your comments with our entire staff and we truly appreciate the feedback. Look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at many staybridge over the years. This one is ok but could be better. I had problem with tub/shower not being clean. Several large black hairs in tub bottom and wall plus soap holder looked as if it hasn't been clean in serval weeks? I notified front desk and they sent the head of house cleaning to review. Problem was corrected but no one bothered to follow up me, which I thought was a little strange . I also thought breakfast/dinner selection was lacking variety?instant eggs and sausage patties, same as offered at holiday inn! I normally seen a larger selection. When items run out they were not readily replaced. Rooms were nice and staff was friendly, I would recommend but mgmt should look to address common items as seen on trip advisor. It's good, free, honest information that can be used for improvements .

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Marc M
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced the following items listed in your review. Our staff takes great pride in their work and we value your feedback. The items that you mentioned regarding the cleanliness of your room will be addressed with our Houskeeping Manager and the staff. The failure to follow up with you in the end is also unacceptable and will also be addressed with the Front Desk Manager and the staff. We have to give 100% customer satisfaction and not just 80% or 90% and based on your review we did not attain our goal of 100% satisfaction. Again, we truly regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel, but we will definitely take your feedback to heart so that we can continue improving the overall service.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have used this hotel before, it is dependable and centrally located. The rooms are clean and the staff friendly. Don't bother with the breakfast or happy hour if lacks. It's near the mall and there are many restaurants in the area. We utilized the laundry facilities and they were OK. I do recommend this hotel. The valley doesn't have much to offer in the way of hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoy our rooms and staff, but would really like to know a little more about the breakfast and Social hour. What can we do to improve that part of your stay? To ensure your complete satisfaction, please contact me at cblanco@ascensionmgt.com so I may obtain additional details about your experience. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your full expectations during your stay with us, but we will continue to work on those items you mentioned so we can offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being my second time in the valley, I wanted to stay at a reputable hotel before trying some of the local flavor. Staybridge Suites is one of the name brands I'd recognized that offered a decent price for that particular weekend I was visiting.
The property sits somewhere off the highway and near the International Airport - slightly hidden, I'd say. No matter, a good GPS system gets you in quickly. Upon arriving, the exterior looked like most other Staybridges - clean, and well-kept.
Check in was fast and uneventful - the staff seemed very friendly. I'd been given a room on the third floor, which was alright being that there was an elevator immediately to my right. Once I reached the third floor, I noticed that my room was RIGHT NEXT to the elevator! This was a blessing and a curse, for I didn't have to walk far to get to the elevator, but then I'd be the unfortunate recipient of endless chatter as folks waited for their ride down. Guess which one ended up winning.
Inside the room, I had to give them credit for having it well-kept and clean, although I found it small for the price I paid. It's literally just one room, with the fridge and kitchen area (no dining tables). The fridge is a full-sized one, while the kitchen comes equipped with a microwave, dishwasher and stove top. Again, the lack of a dining area makes it difficult, for the only place to really set your plates down is a small rectangular table against the wall (with a free pouch of coffee and popcorn) or the computer desk.
My room came with a flat screen TV and DVD player. I was excited about this because I'd brought a concert DVD with me to watch with a friend, but upon arrival, I could not power on the player. I tried every connection, every wire but nothing. It took the simple act of unplugging the power plug and reconnecting it to actually get it to work! After that, it was pretty smooth sailing.
The TV was pretty awkwardly positioned to the bed. Lying back against the pillows, the remote wouldn't register with the TV or DVD player. You had to angle your arm uncomfortably. Trivial for me since I don't really watch TV.
The vanity and closet area was actually bigger than the bathroom itself. No complaints about either.
My biggest gripes came from the breakfast area and laundry area. The breakfast seating area is inadequate, forcing me to master the art of balancing a plate and eating at the same time. That is, if I was able to eat in the first place! The breakfast selection was by far inadequate. Having been spoiled by Drury's breakfast, I found Staybridge to be lacking in variety. There was a section of cold cuts (I don't eat ham) and cheese with bagels nearby so as to create a breakfast sandwich. A few cartons of milk were layed out on ice and I managed to snag one fat free carton. Upon return, there were simply two gallons of milk on the ice. Serve yourself.
One waffle maker was supposed to suffice for a crowd. I didn't even bother with that.
The pastries ran out and were never restocked - much of the breakfast items were never restocked. See the milk example. I would have also liked to see more hot items - the only hot stuff was the scrambled eggs and oatmeal.
The other gripe is the laundry room. I truly appreciate the free laundry service, even if it is do it yourself, but when I got to the first washer, it was leaking water and smelled so rancid I nearly puked my breakfast. I moved it to the other washer and it didn't smell, but the detergent add area was so crusty and moldy that I thought twice about using it. Unfortunately, I needed clean clothes so I used it anyway. The washer next to it was out of service.
Dryers were adequately working, thankfully.
Finally, the wi-fi. You need to input a code to your PC in order to use their free "high-speed internet." While using their wireless, I quickly saw that the "high-speed" was anything but! Youtube videos took very long to load and the signal was pretty bad all around. Frustrated, I hooked it up to the LAN cable provided and it was only slightly better. IT was sufficient for me to get my work done, but it barely functioned as high speed wireless. All around frustrating.
For a staybridge suite, I found this to be below its usual standards. It serves its purpose in housing you in a clean room with a barely adequate breakfast, but don't expect stellar, 4-star service. That's fine by me, but for nearly a hundred dollars, this is not quite up to par with something of its class. I hesitate to stay here again unless the price drops a bit to match the average quality.

Room Tip: Try not to get one close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Delita_chan
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant stay with us. The items you have mentioned about the breakfast and guest laundry area are being addressed with our staff. We will take the information that you provided and use it as a learning tool to correct and improve our overall services at the hotel. Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.