All reviews light meal front desk social hour mini kitchen housekeeping staff living area breakfast buffet every morning the rio grande valley airport couch mall perks sodas rgv checkin
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have used this hotel before, it is dependable and centrally located. The rooms are clean and the staff friendly. Don't bother with the breakfast or happy hour if lacks. It's near the mall and there are many restaurants in the area. We utilized the laundry facilities and they were OK. I do recommend this hotel. The valley doesn't have much to offer in the way of hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoy our rooms and staff, but would really like to know a little more about the breakfast and Social hour. What can we do to improve that part of your stay? To ensure your complete satisfaction, please contact me at cblanco@ascensionmgt.com so I may obtain additional details about your experience. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your full expectations during your stay with us, but we will continue to work on those items you mentioned so we can offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being my second time in the valley, I wanted to stay at a reputable hotel before trying some of the local flavor. Staybridge Suites is one of the name brands I'd recognized that offered a decent price for that particular weekend I was visiting.
The property sits somewhere off the highway and near the International Airport - slightly hidden, I'd say. No matter, a good GPS system gets you in quickly. Upon arriving, the exterior looked like most other Staybridges - clean, and well-kept.
Check in was fast and uneventful - the staff seemed very friendly. I'd been given a room on the third floor, which was alright being that there was an elevator immediately to my right. Once I reached the third floor, I noticed that my room was RIGHT NEXT to the elevator! This was a blessing and a curse, for I didn't have to walk far to get to the elevator, but then I'd be the unfortunate recipient of endless chatter as folks waited for their ride down. Guess which one ended up winning.
Inside the room, I had to give them credit for having it well-kept and clean, although I found it small for the price I paid. It's literally just one room, with the fridge and kitchen area (no dining tables). The fridge is a full-sized one, while the kitchen comes equipped with a microwave, dishwasher and stove top. Again, the lack of a dining area makes it difficult, for the only place to really set your plates down is a small rectangular table against the wall (with a free pouch of coffee and popcorn) or the computer desk.
My room came with a flat screen TV and DVD player. I was excited about this because I'd brought a concert DVD with me to watch with a friend, but upon arrival, I could not power on the player. I tried every connection, every wire but nothing. It took the simple act of unplugging the power plug and reconnecting it to actually get it to work! After that, it was pretty smooth sailing.
The TV was pretty awkwardly positioned to the bed. Lying back against the pillows, the remote wouldn't register with the TV or DVD player. You had to angle your arm uncomfortably. Trivial for me since I don't really watch TV.
The vanity and closet area was actually bigger than the bathroom itself. No complaints about either.
My biggest gripes came from the breakfast area and laundry area. The breakfast seating area is inadequate, forcing me to master the art of balancing a plate and eating at the same time. That is, if I was able to eat in the first place! The breakfast selection was by far inadequate. Having been spoiled by Drury's breakfast, I found Staybridge to be lacking in variety. There was a section of cold cuts (I don't eat ham) and cheese with bagels nearby so as to create a breakfast sandwich. A few cartons of milk were layed out on ice and I managed to snag one fat free carton. Upon return, there were simply two gallons of milk on the ice. Serve yourself.
One waffle maker was supposed to suffice for a crowd. I didn't even bother with that.
The pastries ran out and were never restocked - much of the breakfast items were never restocked. See the milk example. I would have also liked to see more hot items - the only hot stuff was the scrambled eggs and oatmeal.
The other gripe is the laundry room. I truly appreciate the free laundry service, even if it is do it yourself, but when I got to the first washer, it was leaking water and smelled so rancid I nearly puked my breakfast. I moved it to the other washer and it didn't smell, but the detergent add area was so crusty and moldy that I thought twice about using it. Unfortunately, I needed clean clothes so I used it anyway. The washer next to it was out of service.
Dryers were adequately working, thankfully.
Finally, the wi-fi. You need to input a code to your PC in order to use their free "high-speed internet." While using their wireless, I quickly saw that the "high-speed" was anything but! Youtube videos took very long to load and the signal was pretty bad all around. Frustrated, I hooked it up to the LAN cable provided and it was only slightly better. IT was sufficient for me to get my work done, but it barely functioned as high speed wireless. All around frustrating.
For a staybridge suite, I found this to be below its usual standards. It serves its purpose in housing you in a clean room with a barely adequate breakfast, but don't expect stellar, 4-star service. That's fine by me, but for nearly a hundred dollars, this is not quite up to par with something of its class. I hesitate to stay here again unless the price drops a bit to match the average quality.

Room Tip: Try not to get one close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Delita_chan
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant stay with us. The items you have mentioned about the breakfast and guest laundry area are being addressed with our staff. We will take the information that you provided and use it as a learning tool to correct and improve our overall services at the hotel. Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wonderful place to stay if you're in McAllen, TX. The rooms are very clean, roomy and well maintained. The breakfast and evening socials (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights) is wonderful. All of the staff members are very friendly and will address any issues you may have immediately. We stayed there last week and two weeks about a month ago. We'll definitely stay there again when we visit that area.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet....can't hear your neighbors!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ronda W
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you so much for that wonderful review of our hotel. We are all so pleased to hear that you enyoyed your stay with us and that you feel that you received great service. Thanks for staying with us and we really do appreciate it. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

nice, clean and spaciuos room. great housekeeping, nice kitchen appliances.. gym is not the top thing, but enough for me at least.. breakfast and pre-dinner buffet are awesome! definitively i am coming back in this hotel in my next trips in mcallen. i think this hotel is also the newest hotel in the area. perfectly located a few mins away from the airport.. i stayed here for a whole week. laundry services are the best "plus" if you have to stay away for so long.. bravo, bravo, bravo. i had a nice suite at the second floor, no noise coming from the upper stories, no noise from the housekeeping when i slept on saturday afternoon to recover from jetlag. i feel i can suggest these to all customers visiting our plant in reynosa. nice, clean and spaciuos room. great housekeeping, nice kitchen appliances.. perfectly located a few mins away from the airport. i believe they can improve the gym area a little bit. there is only threadmills and one bench.. on busy days this will not be enough. everybody was very kind and wellmannered. especially the house keeping ladies. lots of smile and burnos dias everymorning. i am writing this from inside the hotel at the pre dinner buffet. this place is my favourite hotel in mcallen. bravo bravo bravo..

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Great feedback and we are so glad to hear that you feel like this is your home away from home. We definitely like hearing our guests say they will return to our hotel on their next trip to McAllen and then go on and write a nice summary like this one. I understand your frustration with the size of the gym and we have tried to add different types of equipment for guest use and just cannot find the space based on the size of the room. We did add the free weights recently to try and enhance the gym experince and we know that not everyone is a weight lifter, but we do want to provide as much as we can for our guest's. Again, thank you for the positive feedback on your most recent stay and we have already discussed your response with our staff and they too are very appreciative.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Staybridge in general has become one of my choice properties for business travel. Of course it’s not the same as staying in an Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza, but it’s not supposed to be. I always enjoy full service hotels, but I also like Staybridge’s change of pace – especially when my stay isn’t when the kids are out of school. I like extended stay hotels for several reasons: I can rest assured that the housekeeping staff will respect the do not disturb sign on my door so I can leave my stuff on the bathroom counter without it being picked up and placed on a washcloth, and if I leave the TV remote on the bedside table it’s still there when I come back after my business day. Plus, I’m tired of Holiday Inn Express’s “famous” cinnamon rolls. Now don’t get me wrong. I still stay at Holiday Inn Express on reward nights because I don’t use as many points as in other IHG properties, but for business travel it isn’t quite as appealing any more. Staybridge has a much broader variety on the breakfast buffet, has very nice evening receptions, and the rooms are spacious.

Now about this particular property. I’ve stayed several times at the McAllen Staybridge Suites. It is a very nice example of a top-notch Staybridge. The staff members are helpful and pleasant, the housekeeping excellent, breakfast fresh and plentiful all the way up to the “closing” time, and the evening receptions are well-tended and quite good. This hotel is relatively quiet even though it is near the airport and is close to a very nice shopping mall. There are many restaurants nearby although none are within easy walking distance. Wireless internet is free and is generally fast enough by hotel standards. The internet password is a little lengthy for a hotel though, making the whole daily re-log in process a little tedious. I don’t even try to use the hotel wireless on my iPhone because it won’t keep me logged in. (Seriously, is there really a need for a complicated password at a hotel?!)

I will absolutely return to this property, and can recommend it to other travelers without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
Staybridge_620, General Manager at Staybridge Suites McAllen, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for that great response. That is very candid feed back and we like that from our current and previous guests. On the internet password I agree with you it was too long and very frustrating to manage, so we now have a much shorter password and not anywhere near as confusing. Thank you again for all of your great feedback on not only your experience with our hotel in McAllen, but with IHG properties in general. See you next time!