“No Fish!”

McAllen, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No Fish!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Im no Bill Dance but I consider myself to have a Black Belt in Bass Jitsu so I know my way with the Ol Rattle Trap and Plastic Worm...so my experience the First couple of Times I caught several Bass here at Firemans Lake but lately its as if im casting my Lures like a crazy person in a pool just to get them wet! Ill have more luck casting my spinner bait in a toilet! And the reason no ones catching Fish is because some people are taking the Fish Home, seriously... its a freaking stocked catch and release lake, you should be able to catch fish with fritos and weenies for crying out loud!!! Theres no reaaon to be casting for 4 hours with no bites!!! The other Day I saw 2 sketchy jerks setting up more than one Line no big deal right? But really why the Heck would someone do that if its "Catch and Release"!? To bad I left my Batman uniform at home because I was ready to take the Law into my own hands...And another thing, this one really gets me mad.. the first time I heard of this Gem I called the City of Mcallen and I was advised that a Fishing Liscense is required to fish there reguardless of the whole "Catch and Release" deal which is fine I guess, so why then do they let scum bags get away with not only keeping Fish but also those who most likely are fishing with out a Liscense! Aint that some bullcrap!? As for the Kayakers/Paddle boaters, they are pieces of crap too they always seem to patter around right where your fishing! Makes me want to slap em across the face with a topwater lure! Also watch out for the this one lifeguard on a kayak , this guy struts around like hes the Deputy of the Man Made waters I was two seconds away from telling that Hall Monitor of the Seas off! The jerk kept frolicking where I was fishing and was staring me down like he was Miami Vice! Unbelieavable!!! But yeah theres no fish in there dont waste your time on attempting to catch a fish that isnt there, do yourself a favor and go to Red Box instead.

Visited December 2013
9 Thank doncobrakai

McAllen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't feel safe with my kids here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This park was a hit & a miss. Although it's just feet from a major intersection, it's hidden from view by the resaca. Recently, the water in the little lake has drained out due to improper construction and the city is still coming up with solutions. Without that feature, there is little to do here. When there was water, I took my kids twice. Both times I was solicited by strange men and had to call the police (in the daytime), as another poster said, people use this place to park or find someone to "park" with....when they see a cop they just do a u-turn and leave. Its pretty crazy, I would never come here at night.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank blondewithheart
McAllen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice Park. Has potential.. Been concerned about the night time. Not feeling safe.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I come here every night to jog.
Lately the water in the lake has been low, and I hope it gets full again because I'd hate to see dead fishes and no more ducks playing in there.

Also another complaint I have is that lately there have been cars with people doing the naughty dance in there and a couple of hooligans smoking out in the parking lot.. I've also got offered weed while jogging.

If mcallen can get a couple of cops in there once in a while to check things out it would be nice before it gets out of control.

5 Thank Emily R
McAllen, Texas, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Growing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Fireman's Park deserves a review due to its recent expansion and refurbishment. Playgrounds, pavilions, picnic areas, walking paths, and a large pond with an island and a connecting bridge. Kayaking and paddle boating are available—but don't be disappointed: for any kind of water sport, the pond is minuscule. New plantings are being established throughout the park, so the overall effect is still one of a brand new subdivision.

Visited August 2012
McAllen, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome Place in McAllen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

The Lake has fish in it. I have caught 4 fish there on a chug bug lure. The fish that I caught were bass. It is only catch and release. The lake is a good size. I go there at lease four times a week. Great place for the family. You can kayak there too, but the lake is not all that big for boating but it is fun to have a place to do that in the city.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank Jose G

Been to Fireman's Park? Share your experiences!