“5-Star Stay”

Drury Suites McAllen
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent stay experience. My husband and I spent 4 days here and found this hotel to be the entire package. The rooms, beds, staff and food are wonderful and without surprises. We will stay here again and again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Racktown
There are newer reviews for Drury Suites McAllen

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my first time in the Valley and upon searching hotels, I couldn't believe that my favorite chain, Drury, was available there! Normally, I stay at the low end Pear Tree Inn, but I wanted to splurge a bit with the suites, being that San Antonio's version was too pricey and in a not-so-quiet area. I booked the Drury Suites and went for the jacuzzi tub/terrace room for 94.00 a night.
Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of the check-in. The guy at the counter was friendly, chatty and overall pleasant. While my friend made chatter, I observed the lobby area - very clean and nice, almost like a 4-star hotel. I promptly received my keys and it was up to the 6th floor to my room. Thankfully, there was an elevator nearby.
The room was beyond spacious. Entering, there was a kitchen area to my left, complete with an "island" of some sort where people could set their plates down to eat. I don't recall if chairs accompanied this space. The refrigerator was full-sized and there was a pitcher of water left for us. Microwave and stove-top, complete with a variety of utensils makes for an easy dining in experience, if you plan to save a few dollars. Well, but then again there's the Kickback small dinner for guests, but more on that later.
To the right of the entrance was a computer desk with lots of outlets. Further in was a large sofa enough for 3-4 people and a flat-screen TV in front of the couch. A small coffee table added a nice touch. Going a bit further in was a large window that allows you to look over the highway and across.
This room alone is much larger than other hotel rooms, but there is yet ANOTHER room that contained the bed and another flat-screen TV. The entrance to that bedroom can be sectioned off by double-doors. The bedroom itself was spacious with two nightstands on each side - to the right of the bed is a door that can be opened to a terrace! I went outside and was able to sit there and just enjoy the breeze. Truly a nice experience.
To the left of the bed was the bathroom, which was very adequate for a person like myself, who carries quite a bit of accessories. The vanity was right in front of a closet with a full-sized mirror for doors. I was able to check out my outfits to make sure I was dressed well head-to-toe.
The jacuzzi tub was large and relaxing, although I didn't utilize it fully. My only complaint was that the staff hung a "try our new shampoos" sign on the door and I couldn't find a single drop of the new herb shampoos or soaps. I know that this is an amenity in Pear Tree and Drury Inn, but nothing here. No installed pumps like the other Drury varieties. This may be trivial for many, but I forgot my shampoo and soap and had to panic over this. Luckily, there was a small bottle of shampoo and the obligatory hand soap left by staff, so that sufficed.
The wi-fi needed no passcode or key - just simply connect! Speeds were excellent and I was able to view Youtube videos very well. This is quite convenient for travelers needed to keep up with work or wanting to be entertained.
I never quite made it to the Kickbacks, but the ads promised that they'd be like full meals. I received a drink ticket, which enabled me to have 3 free alcoholic drinks. Soda and water are free in the lobby, along with as much popcorn you'd like. I've enjoyed this in other Drury chains, but didn't get to experience this one. Still, it's worth noting that this is available if you're not wanting to get out for dinner. Their hours are from 5:30pm - 7:30, I believe, hours that most people would be out and about exploring.
Breakfast was more than enough! The variety was excellent - they had a good selection of hot foods and continental stuff. It's unfortunate that I don't eat pork, so I couldn't enjoy some of the hot stuff. Guests could chose from scrambled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, waffles (make it yourself), oatmeal, cold cereal, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, muffins, toast and more. The unfortunate part of this experience is the inadequate seating area - the first day I had to eat for a while standing up and then wised up and ate outside in the pool area. Eventually, I secured myself a table after a while.
Other than minor things, this hotel is by far worth the price compared to other expensive hotels. For under 100 dollars, this is definitely worth the price. You get more than average service, a spacious room, delicious and fulfilling breakfast, convenient location, and excellent wifi for less than similar hotels. I know I'll be back when the occasion arises.

Room Tip: Splurge on the suite! It's enough for 4-5 people.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Delita_chan
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business for 2 nights. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. On the first night I noticed that the A/C wasn't cooling the room so it was a little uncomfortable; however, I let the front desk know and they handled it right away. It was fixed by the time I got back to the room that evening. The staff are professional and pleasant. They have a free hot breakfast and a kick back happy hour with snacks and stuff. I would stay there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank rnorred
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Drury Suites in McAllen, Beautiful hotel! We stayed in a Room with a king size bed and a kitchenette. The staff is VERY nice VERY helpful! Everytime we walked in we got a very nice welcome.They may have not but they seemed as if they remembered you personally! Felt pretty good. The room was clean dishes washed. The "kickback" was AWESOME!!! Just like it says free food and drinks! They had a lot of food enough for everyone to get plenty. I must say the beverages were pretty nice!!! Most def will stay again!!!! It felt like a home away from home! WE GIVE THEM 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are smoke free! the whole hotel is!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angel r
Reviewed June 24, 2012

A solid Drury hotel - comfortable, close to La Plaza Mall. Olive Garden right next door, don't need to drive, just walk over for dinner. Super friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Flapi
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I took the 2 room suite with jacuzzi and terrace, and it was comfy and spacious, the general manager is very friendly and was around all the time taking care, i definitely recommend it, clean bathroom, ac works fine even with the hot

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gianncael
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here during March 16-18 and was provided with a huge suite. The room was clean and comfortable. The Manager and staff were very professional and probably better than most 5 star hotels. Drury will definitely be my go to hotel whenever in The Valley.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends