All reviews historic hotel parking garage courtyard view sausage tree the concierge lounge spanish room french doors spanish style third floor an older hotel pool area free weights south texas common areas comfortable hotel recent stay up to date
Selected filters
Reviewed March 19, 2019

My wife and I wanted a last minute quick getaway. I did not book until the day of our stay and to be honest Casa de Palmas was not my first choice but my first choices were all booked. I am very familiar with McAllen but had never heard of this hotel. I am so very glad that my first choices were booked because our stay here was absolutely the greatest. We plan to return next week for another stay because there are so many things available in the area that we would like to see but did not have time to visit. The hotel is an historic structure but with very recent upgrades. We have never experienced a more helpful or friendly staff. Restaurant and lounge were outstanding. Five stars all the way on everything. Free garage parking with easy access to rooms was also a plus. And I failed to mention the exercise room with modern equipment.

Room tip: Courtyard rooms are probably best choice. An exterior room especially on south side of property might have an issue with street noise.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Noe G, Director of Operations at Casa de Palmas, Trademark Collection by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2019

On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel. It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback, particularly when it comes from those who matter the most – you! By taking pride in putting people first, we are not only executing the mission of our founders, but exceeding the expectations of our valued guests.

Reviewed February 3, 2019

I am having a wonderful stay at Casa De Palmas. The service has been top notch. Yes, it is an older hotel, but I think it is being kept up pretty well. The service this trip is what has put it over the top. I am here for a 7 night stay. My two nights were less than stellar. I really need a work area, and the king room did not exactly match the description. No work area (except a small area under the tv) and no ergonomic chair (a little ottoman stool instead). The first night and second afternoon I attempted working at a table in the bar area. It was OK, but a note to management that the music even during the down time is WAY too loud. I enjoy the music, but not at that level. And, there are two competing sets of music on top of that. The hotel lobby side is blasting "regular" music, and the bar side is playing some weird ambiance type of music. If you are sitting at the large table in between the two it is overwhelming hearing the two sets of music on top of each other. Anyway...that is my only negative. After the second night I went down to the lobby to do some work again and stopped at the front desk to inquire about the room types. When I explained my problem with no work area she immediately upgraded me to another room type with a great desk and chair (funny story...the room I got ended up with a window that faced a new store that is blaring music all day. They immediately moved me into a quieter room and I've been happy as a clam ever since). They truly went the extra mile to make sure I was happy with the new room and had everything I needed. The last bonus, is the hotel is right across the street from my favorite restaurant in McAllen, SALT. It's so nice to walk across the street and back for dinner!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Noe G, Director of Operations at Casa de Palmas, Trademark Collection by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2019

We are delighted to have been your chosen hotel during your recent stay in McAllen. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We appreciate your business and value your honest feedback. Your comments have been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver exceptional service to guests like you. Thank you for staying at the Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel and we hope you choose to create more memories with us whenever your travels bring you back to McAllen.

Reviewed February 1, 2019

I have been traveling to McAllen for years and love the people there. Casa De Palmas has a 100+ year history and has so much potential to be a great hotel again, but is in need of a major renovation. I am afraid Marriott's system-wide cost-cutting measures are prohibiting the remodel from taking place at Casa de Palmas. I recently stayed for three nights and was excited to be coming back to town for business. The people of McAllen are terrific. And, that’s coming from someone who travels 150+ nights/year. Here’s a partial list of where the hotel failed:

1. Room Quality - Unfortunately, the Renaissance Casa De Palmas has fallen in dis-repair. This landmark property needs a comprehensive remodel. Rooms have dirty, worn-out carpet, broken furniture, and chipped paint --- this is not typical for most Renaissance properties.
2. Service - They have some awesome people working at the hotel. The front desk and facilities (the guy who repairs air conditioning/heating systems) folks are great, but stretched because of the hotel's condition. When my room's heater needed to be fixed, it literally took three calls and two hours to get fixed.
3. Wifi - About the slowest I have experienced in any hotel. I literally had to leave my hotel room and go to the lobby to participate in a business web-ex meeting.
4. Train Tracks - There are train tracks very close to the hotel. If you are sensitive to noise, ask for an interior room. Plus, interior rooms have a nice view of the courtyard. I wish they would have offered me one of these rooms...
5. Concierge Lounge – Many Marriott properties have opened what used to be exclusive access to the Concierge Lounge (aka M-Lounge) to the masses, not just those of us who have earned Platinum or higher loyalty status. As a result, quality and service have been sacrificed to what my Momma calls “skimpy.” Cheap little fried hors d'oeuvres in the evening that looked like they belonged in a college cafeteria.

I am a Lifetime Platinum and sadly will stay at another property during my next stays. I spoke with Casa de Palmas mgmt about the concerns. While they understood the problems, they really did not offer any solutions, refunds or bonus points. I used to be a hardcore Marriott loyalist, but mediocre stays like this have caused me to shift roughly 50% of my hotel stays to a Marriott competitor. It is so incredibly sad to see what cost-cutting and a fumbled Starwood integration (and the Marriott Starwood data breech) have done to diminish Marriott’s reputation. I really hope Marriott listens to its lifetime Rewards members because you are losing our business at these landmark properties.

Room tip: Get an interior room to avoid noise from the train
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank WorldBeachTraveler
Noe G, Director of Operations at Casa de Palmas, Trademark Collection by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2019

On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel. It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback, particularly when it comes from those who matter the most – you! By taking pride in putting people first, we are not only executing the mission of our founders, but exceeding the expectations of our valued guests.

Please note your feedback has been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences. Thank you for staying at the Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to McAllen.

Reviewed January 23, 2019

We were here for a Family Event in December. Unfortunately, we were very busy and did not get to use any of the hotel's amenities. However, the hotel was a nice retreat for us to get away from the hustle and bustle of my sister's house and to get a good night's sleep. The hotel has a nice ambiance and we would definitely stay here again!

Room tip: Our room did not have a view
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Noe G, Director of Operations at Casa de Palmas, Trademark Collection by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2019

Reviewed January 10, 2019

This was a great place with history and charm and I understand some ghosts. I never encountered anything spooky, but I do hear that they hang around the kitchen. The stay was fine, not exceptional. The room was upgraded yet still quite small. The bed was bad and needed to go. The room had a walk-out porch overlooking the pool area but it was way too cold for any swimming. It must be very nice in warmer times of the year. Parking was in the attached garage and was free. The staff was very pleasant. With a decent mattress and sheets, this would have rated a strong 4. I think its days of ranking a 5 are done.

Room tip: choose 3rd floor with porch
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Noe G, Director of operations at Casa de Palmas, Trademark Collection by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2019