“Delightful hotel, charming staff”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What an unexpected pleasure to stay at this hotel. Staff have all been amazing: courteous and friendly and most efficient. The rooms are charming; mine had a balcony overlooking the pool courtyard. The balcony was large as was the room and flawless. The one snag: the hotel restaurant - not as good as it could have been: bland, boring offerings, with a long wait time.
The hotel shuttle takes you wherever you need with a courteous driver and warm smiles abound.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Renaissance Casa de Palmas was a surprise for me - the price was so incredibly reasonable that I wasn't prepared for the charming location and the lovely decor. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. The bed was very comfortable and I wish I had more time there to enjoy my patio that doors that opened to the pool.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I arrive on Friday afternoon, and Ashley was really fast for my checking and I get a upgrade room, super clean and spacious, I love the Hotel was gorgeous kind of a hacienda.. we have excellent service from Norma Lievanos, wow she is just the best, to set and been really close to be sure everything was set for the meeting. Thanks to Ms. Lievanos service is just the best.. also I need to leave early, so they have shuttle service, again excelente service, and I was at the airport in less than 7 minutes !! lovely!! Thank you so much we have great stay !! one more thing the bed was great.. nice clean and beautiful room!! and one more great think .. free parking !! yeahhh what else we need to ask!

Room Tip: I have a great room on 3erd floor corner little suite with fridge, microwave nice living room, close...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This was my second stay at the Casa de Palmas. We arrived early and had no trouble with early check-in, which I appreciated. The hallway outside my room had a leak from the ceiling (probably AC related), but my room was nice. The carpet could probably use an update, but apart from that, the room is quite comfortable and the bed was great. Once again, I enjoyed the courtyard pool and the bar in the lobby. However, there were two fire alarms on consecutive mornings. Thankfully, I was already awake. I'm told it's related to the humidity. I have no idea what that means, but they should get it taken care of quickly. All in all, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I really want to like this hotel, but cant. Ive stayed here on three different business trips over the years, and it hasn't improved. My last trip was my last.
-front desk gave me a regular room as a platinum member. my gold member business partner got a suite. The front desk said that his name came first alphabetically, so there were no more upgrades when it got to the bottom of the list. Really? She found a suite anyway. But it didn't have a microwave because of electrical issues with the room wiring. Gee, that makes me feel good. Not happy with that, since I was leaving early in the morning before breakfast was available. I nuked my breakfast at work.
- DO NOT STAY ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR. I ended up with a suite on the bottom floor west side, right next to the DUMPSTER. Got to smell it, and here the trash get taken out and emptied.
- hotel is next to RR tracks. Not their fault, but be prepared to hear the train before 10pm at times. Staying in an internal courtyard room would be better. Don't know if they have suites that face the courtyard.
-concierge lounge was good and well stocked. Good staff there.
-forgot my ipad in my room charging on the nightstand at check out. Never saw it again. Manager didn't even respond to my email, even though I could track it inside his hotel.
-good location except for the RR tracks.
-My room was either too hot or too cold. Stayed during winter, and couldn't get the room to hold a constant temperature. It was either 80 degrees or 60.
-parking garage has no security cameras for such a busy downtown area. Just never felt safe in that public garage.
The elevators near the parking garage had a foul garbage smell all week.

Im just tired of staying here. I go to Spring Hill Suites now west of the airport. Spring Hill even has social our for everyone M-Thursday evenings. Snacks, beer and wine, and better restaurants just a block away.

Room Tip: Try to stay on a high floor facing the courtyard. Less train noise and safer. DO not stay on the 1...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jeff S
mariwes, Front Office Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your most recent review on Tripadvisor. First and foremost, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced on your last stay. Our staff is working diligently to correct those issues.

Certainly there is no excuses for the problems you encountered; however, through your feedback we have notified our chief engineer regarding some of the issues you were inconvenienced.

Our goal is to insure complete satisfaction of every guest and all of our team is dedicated to give the guest the Renaissance service they deserve.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I spend 4 nights at this hotel, and no problems whatsoever. Price was 120+tax using Priceline.

Hotel is what someone used to called "Colonial Hotel". It is a very nice hotel, with a very nice courtyard.

Parking is free at second and third floor, from there you have to take and elevator an walk all the way down to your room (a liitle too far, but not big deal). There is a Restaurant that i didnt try.

Wireless is so-so, sometimes worked, sometimes not, but overall, it worked most of the time, not as strong as i wished, i had to be closed to the door facing courtyard to get an optimal reception, but again, not big deal. Its free :)

Bathroom was very clean, and thats the most important factor to me when chosing a hotel. Beds were also clean and comfortable. There was a small Fridge in room that help me a lot for breakfast, since this hotel does not offer free breakfast, i brought my own milk and yogurts and stuff like that to start the day.

Location is good, super close to La Plaza Mall, and within walking distance to La Calle Main.

My overall experience at this hotel was good, i definitely recommend this hotel, and i will stay again here in a near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, and you´ll walk less from parking lot since there is a direct entrance...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jorge_Garza_Lomeli
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I am disappointed with the customer service at Casa de Palmas. I asked for a shuttle to a local restaurant and the manager on duty, who remained sitting down, had the nerve to say she would only have her driver take me if I tipped him good. That is unprofessional. The manager could not Thank me for staying with them but could ask for a tip. I am so disappointed with the management. I wish I would have gotten her name. The driver, however, was very polite. He was tipped because he deserved it not because I was told to.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Monica A
mariwes, Guest Relations Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with The Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.
You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps on this matter.
Needless to say we appreciate your business, We want to ensure your satisfaction the nest time you stay with us. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to make your next reservation.