“Go somewhere else.”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I usually like refurbished old hotels, but this one had a raw-sewagey smell that is barely perceptible when you first walk in, and after a few minutes it seemed to go away, but after being in the room a while it became much more pungent. There must be some sort of leak somewhere or a bad water trap, and the smell seeps through the walls. Cleanliness rating gets a "Poor" knowing that raw sewage was somewhere pretty darn close although the room itself appeared clean.

Oh, and the 2 fire alarms after 1 AM just added to the fun. Phone next to bed wasn't working when I tried to call the front desk after the second fire alarm to see if there was in fact a fire. Luckily there wasn't, so I enjoyed the rest of my night smelling the wonderful smell and waiting for the next piercing noise to rip me out of the bed. Zero sleep.

To sum it up: Epic Fail.

Probably a decent place for a drink, the courtyard and pool areas are very nice to look at, and the staff seemed pleasant, the room itself looked clean, bed was comfy, but stay somewhere else. Other hotels out there at better prices for what you get here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank whipster
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Whipster,
Please accept my apology for the inconvienences you experienced during this recent visit. The odor you mention does sometimes occur and we are working with the City to be sure they are cleaning the lines that are ajacent to our hotel on a monthly basis. The fire alarm was, as you say, false. A guest opened their balcony doors after taking a steaming shower which activated the detector of which we have replaced so that the sensitivity will no longer be an issue. Again, my regret that these occurances happened during the visit and we are so thankful you appreciate historic hotels and hope you will contact us so that we can assure you of a more typical delightful visit sometime in the near future to Renaissance Casa De Palmas.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This is a really nice old style hotel in the heart of McAllen. It has a beautiful hacienda type feel to it, with modern furniture and upgrades surrounding old style gardens and a great pool. This hotel is a great combination of new meets old. The only set back I found was the individual room temp controllers seem to be slow to react to individual settings.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank William L
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at the Casa De Palmas, and WOW! it has changed a lot!
Lobby Remodeled, very nice and elegant, staff very friendly and well mannered, breakfast was very good, i would of preferred that it had a little more variety but over all it was good.

2 Different Kind of Egg
Refried Beans
Biscuits & White gravy
Crunchy Strips of Bacon
Bread, and Cupcakes
Salsa

What really took the cake for me was the Orange juice, it tasted like it was just freshly squeezed
that may not be the case but it was very good.

The pool is outdoor very nice.

The room istayed was 114 nice king size bed, in the TV was movie channels that you can rent

I didn't get to explore the whole property but over all it seemed very nice,
will go back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jose G
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a nice Hacienda Hotel Downtown McAllen, operating since 1918.
Most of the hotel is renovated. Welcoming staff, but a bit disorganized.
We had a nice room with view to the patio where now the pool is located.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank steffi71
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our party of 5 arrived by private plane at the McAllen Airport, very near the Renaissance. We called for the hotel shuttle to pick us up at the private terminal and were told that it would arrive in 7 minutes. Thirty minutes later, when the shuttle had not arrived, we called the hotel 2 more times before it finally arrived. It had been waiting at the airline terminal.

When we arrived at the hotel, both rooms were not what we had requested, and it was 30 more minutes before we were given the correct beds and view that we had reserved.

That evening we were planning for the next morning's breakfast and asked the lady at the front desk if there would be a buffet the next morning. She replied that there was never a buffet, but the restaurant would have menu service. The next morning, lo and behold a big buffet was set up in the lobby.

The hotel facilities are clean and beautiful, but it aopears that no one working there has any training or experience whatsoever.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank W1irebender89
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I simply needed a quiet retreat for a couple of nights after coming to town for a wedding and staying at a relatives house. Since this was priced just moderately above your usual Express-type hotel I decided a splurge a little and I am glad I did. While maybe not deserving of an Excellent rating outside of McAllen, it would certainly be a solid choice in even Dallas or Houston. The hotel is beautiful and the entrance leading up to the front door is eye candy and a very popular spot for photographers.

I am fairly low-key so I didn't request much in the way of service, but everyone I came across was polite. Since this is a historic hotel keep in mind that the rooms will vary in size - some may be on the tight side and some rooms have very poor views. As for the views, you're in McAllen...I doubt very many people spend much time looking out the window but if that's important to you it might be smart to make a request before checking in. The rooms facing the pool courtyard appear to be more appealing and larger. While some of the furnishings looked a little tired, the rooms themselves are updated, tastefully decorated, and comfortable. I am not very familiar with the neighborhood other than it's not glamorous but nonetheless a very close drive to nightlife and restaurants.

I know the common areas were recently renovated and I think it looks very fresh, modern, and crisp while keeping all the Spanish character that makes this hotel very unique and a stand-out from everything else in town. If you are looking for a hotel with character and a little out of the ordinary in McAllen, this is your home.

Room Tip: Since this is a historic hotel, some rooms are tight with poor views so I would call in advance if t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ShadyShores
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel October 19-20th (1 night in a standard room, 1 night in the honeymoon suite). All I can say is this is a beautiful, historic hotel. In my opinion, I'm a local, this hotel is the best in McAllen. The service is great and the food is superb. The rooms are small but not crammed. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and it wasn't a cheap little muffin and coffee. The suite is pretty big but it's pretty standard ( everything you would need/ expect nothing you don't) still nothing to complain about there. Something I can complain about bell boys are not readily available and parking can be a challenge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple